Author Topic: Modern Day Microcars  (Read 19170 times)

MikeBoxwell

• G-Wiz owner
  • Just Starting
    • G-Wiz Owners Club
Modern Day Microcars
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:21:39 PM »
Over the past few years, microcars have been making a comeback in the UK.  Axiam, Ligier, Piaggio, Microcar, G-Wiz... they've all appeared in the UK and have had some moderate success.

The most successful is probably G-Wiz with their electric car.  Mine is on order and will be appearing in the next few weeks.  There are a few other microcars waiting in the wings, however, which should be appearing in the next few months.

The first is a Welsh built car with four seats, a top speed of 35mph and a range of 50 miles.  I'm not allowed to say much more about this particular car yet; it will appear sometime in the Autumn and as soon as I can say more about it, I will.

The second one has been around in Italy for a while, but not in the UK.  The OPEN Elettrica is a two-seat microcar, which in it's Italian form has a range of around 25 miles and a 25mph top speed.  It's been totally re-engineered for the UK market and now has a top speed of around 50mph and a range of 70 miles, which is far more like it.  You can find out more about this car at www.travelelectric.co.uk

I suspect that electric power will see a resergence in microcars, especially in major cities, which in turn may mean a few more odd-balls appearing.

I certainly hope so... it's the odd-balls that make microcars so interesting!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Modern Day Microcars
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »
Hello Mike, you found us then! Welcome to the forum. Thankyou for that link to the Electrica website, what a great looking car, it reminds me in some ways of the smart, I may now forsake the aquisition of a Gwiz and wait for one of these, thats assuming it all happens.The microcar world is full of failed attemps to get projects like this off the ground so lets hope the importers are serious about it, there is certainly a market and Goinggreen has proved that behond doubt. I hope you will keep us all informed on any other developments in the new electric car field. Again welcome to RUMcars and I hope you will be subscribing to Rumcar news.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:30:50 PM »
Despite being very interested in the classics, I am still glad to see increasing interest in new micros, great news!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »
Dear Mike

It is now Autumn. Is the Welsh Modern day Micro ready for me to test drive for Rumcar News? If it is not ready yet May I seek your help with doing an article on the Gwizz for Tony?

I share your interest in both the new and the classic MicroCars for no better reason than I like the enovation that goes into them.

Many thanks

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:46:10 AM »
I really enjoyed the article on the history of microcar right up to the MC1. Being a microcar virgo owner I was puzzeled over the left foot braking that Chris Thomas kept mentioning. I have never found this to be needed whilst driving my car ,I use the right foot for both pedals like an other automatic. I test drove the MC1 myself and drove it the traditional way with no problems at all . Just thought I would mention it in case it was putting any potential buyers off.    About Mike Boxwells statement that the G wiz was more successful than the other quadracycle makes, I dont think so, Im sure the likes of axam have sold thousand of cars compared to Going greens hundreds but I fully understand that Mike has to fly the EV flag being the Gwiz forum host. Personaly I love the Gwiz but because of its nature its so far only been succesful In london for short commuting  use, on the other hand I know people from the south who have driven the microcar virgos up to Scotland for a touring holiday so I guess its horses for courses as they say. Im looking forward to a whole series of articles on modern micro, Well done Chris, keep it up and I like your idea of being able to down load ones copy of , well i would call it "Unusual microcar news"!

robbie2flippers

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:17:08 PM »
Have you noticed that most of the modern Microcars on Ebay have accident damage? Most of them with front damage. It seems as if some drivers of autos need to drive two footed as Chris Thomas and myself do. Mine is a Volvo Auto by the way. I also drive my Flipper Donky that way. Whenever I read of an "accident" concerning an automatic car the driver nearly always says their foot slipped of the brake and hit the accelerator! Surely with your left foot hovering over the brake pedal it is possible to hit the brakes quicker in an incident.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 07:43:49 PM »
Thats a fair comment Bob. The only reason I drive autos with one foot is because after trying a spell of braking with the left foot and jumping back into a manual car I tended to stamp on the clutch when I wanted to brake. If I only drove autos I would proberbly adopt your method Bob. I wonder what method they teach you at driving school when learning auto? By the way Bob isnt it time to change your name again to Robbie one flipper?  All the best Bob P

robbie2flippers

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »
After Jean's Open Day, when there seemed to be interest, I was hoping to call myself robbieflipperless, but it seems nobody wants the Donky. I wonder if any one in France would like to take it home?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »
I thought you sold the Donkey?  It was pulled off Ebay?  Wasn't it the (2nd) listing with the trailer?
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

robbie2flippers

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:36:43 PM »
No it wasn't pulled off. The first listing, lasted 10 days, had over1500 hits, nearly 200 watchers. Second listing, 7 days, with trailer had those numbers halved but no questions or bids. Two weeks after it was finished I had a query from Portugal and someone called 'Alan' emailed and offered £800 for Donky and trailer. I asked if he was joking! never got an answer. It's still taking up room in my workshop. >:( ;D

robbie2flippers

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »
Just spotted your picture. Is that a genuine Martian Flying saucer or has someone got it all wrong when trying to make a copy of a Peel Trident?

Dan Rodd

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 10:51:17 AM »
Take the fact that it didnt sell as a sign,people will only pay what they think it is worth,after all,what can you do with it?

(hides in priest hole for fear of mace wielding Peel owners!)

robbie2flippers

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:57:37 AM »
Just like the stuff you seem to have collected, keep it in the shed or I could take it down the tip. I've seen a picture of your Norman. Did you join the Norman Club?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:12:58 PM by robbie2flippers »

Dan Rodd

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 07:45:07 PM »
Dont mean to upset you rob,i know exactly where your coming from,i used to think the same way,but unfortunately there just isnt
enough people around who are like minded,i found this out when i sold my hand propelled invalid carriage which i restored.
it may be worth x amount,but finding someone who agrees isnt easy.
I still have the Norman but it along with several others will be up for grabs very soon.

robbie2flippers

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 10:16:42 PM »
       Hi,  D.R.
 I shall keep a look out for your sales.
        Best Wishes.
            R.D.