Author Topic: In appreciation of our forum.  (Read 10380 times)

P50

• Prolific Poster
Re: In appreciation of our forum.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »
Hmm so it's not myth.  Oh dear oh dear.  

Trouble is the English are a nation of hoarders. There's plenty of mechanical treasure sitting in barns and garages waiting to be discovered.  I wish Peels and Scootacars croppeds up like Regals!!  Loads of them in council garages cropping up on Evilbay.

Our fellow europeans dont seem to get attached to their old contraptions like the Brits.  When old, scrap it. No emotion. Italians are so fashionable that when a car is old it must be chucked away. Like clothes. When will they learn that fashion comes around? I think the Germans just considered old machines as now simply inferior and scrapped them for that reason? Old is crap!

I went to Italy in the late 80's a few times in a '69 1750GTV.  None on the roads.  But my Alfa got broken into in Rome and I was desperate for a side glass.  

In Rome after loads of faffing about I was directed to a breakers a few miles out.  My word,  when I got there I could not believe what I saw.  5 square miles of Italian machinery.  Whilst the English were attempting to save Spiders and GTV's from tinworm (a losing battle on an Alfa) I was aghast at perfect cars with not a bit of rot. Anywhere.  The odd bent bumper or whack down the side. What me and my friend wouldn't have given for these motors. Perfect Giulietta Spiders like Edward Fox drove in the Jackall. Basking in the sun. A crime in my eyes to dismantle them..              

So if you're wondering what happened to the lions share of Schmitts on the continent, they were scrapped. 'Cos they were old, unfashionable and had no value.  But time's change, and It seems the mad English kept this worthless shyte!

So it seems we are a victim of our own success. Ripe for pickings.  That's not saying that we didn't scrap anything. But tended to save more than our conterparts..

As for slinging people out of clubs that's another matter. Perhaps that's why the MEC came about?  Disgruntled MOC types making a stand?  

N.B   I've just recalled Italy has some odd law that means if a car has been de-registered it can't go back on the road. EVER.  Even if its perfect.  BUT, they wanted to ban all old poluting cars from town centres a couple of years back.  Uproar over the diminutive Fiat 500. A national icon.  So they modded the law. Anything over 500cc is banned!  Utter class. Can you imagine that happening here?  Mind you we have no iconic machines. The Routemaster was excecuted 'cos Red Ken.      Bastard

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:28:40 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »
It was before my time but I have been told that that is exactly how the MEC got started! Not so sure about the Germans scraping everything thats old, I think Ferdi may have something to say about that. One thing is for sure, the French certainly don't throw much away, its all stashed away in barns ect. They don't value the stuff until someone shows an interest! I have always found it odd that the French were and still are the most prolific producers of microcars and yet there appears to be very little activity on an organized club level unlike over here where we have a club for almost every make and one for all the odd balls too i.e. this one. It seems to be left to enthusiastic individuals like Claude and Donald la Bihan, Gilles Perez, Pierrick Chavault  and Roland Duret. They dont for instance have a French National Microcar Rally unless they just didn't invite me! Maybe in the future we will see a few more events over there on a larger scale, I do hope so as the French microcars are among my favorites.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:06:32 AM by bobbybubble »

Dan Rodd

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 12:25:46 PM »
im with p50 here,i love the scruffy ones,one incident i will relate to you of a schmitt rally,about 8 yrs ago we all went to one,we were looking around and my dad was in his,mm i fancy a bond phase,we got chatting to a bloke who had had his schmitt since the early 70's,very scruffy,handpainted etc.stood out amongst the others.he then said,"have you ever sat in one?"we were both taken aback and gladly took the oppertunity to sit in it.he then said"have you ever driven one?"we were astounded,we said something along the lines of,but we could have a trailer round the back! but he said no worries,told us a nice circuit to go in it round and we had a never to be forgotten experience.This was from the bloke with the most characterful,scruffy car there ;)

inacoma

Re: Diversity
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 12:47:10 PM »
Hi

I have to agree with most of the above.

Lots of other forums end up being overtaken with spam emails and unrelated adverts for sex aids etc, I have signed off from several because my cupboards are already full.

Love ther diversity of all the different people and cars on Rumcars.

Keep it up

John

Dan Rodd

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
There are actually more Peel's known to exist than there are Mk3 Regals,which i own one of,in fact,more Peels were actually made than soft top mk3s!sadly,that doesnt make it worth  Â£25000! :'(

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »
Hi bobbybubble,
 not every german is scraping everything thats old.Lot of folks in our country are collecting old things, and i know a lot of them. I myself are collecting all bits and bobs about microcars im interested in, like parts, toycars, magazines etc. My former partner, a british bird incidentally, denoted me a mad kraut, coz im keeping all this together. She always liked to get rid of it.
So what's that supposed to mean?  ;D A partnership comes and goes, but the collection is still available.  Probably the bird is right, but once scrapped or sold the beloved rubbish, you will never get it back though.  ;) ;) ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
Ferdi, I know you are correct, its silly to say that Germans throw away everything old, as an antiques dealer with many customers from Germany I know that they collect almost as avidly as Englishman. Dan, whats your point, are you suggesting that people who look after their microcars and have the skill to restore them are all unfriendly and wont let anyone near there cars? Which messerschmitt owner was giving all and sundry rides out in his pristine schmitt at jeans open day last year? Was it not I? Despite the myth that is Cyphus dragging his great size eleven boot up the side panel whilst getting in, did I complain, no, its all in the spirit of microcaring! If someone acquires a car that is in good original condition there is a good case for leaving well alone [like your bikes Dan] but take my schmitt for example, I bought it dismantled in tea chests every panel was painted a different colour, some panels rusted through, are you suggesting that I should have assembled it, painted it as badly as possible, introduced some chips and cracks to it? A large amount of microcars on the road today have been restored from rusty wrecks, give me one good reason why there owners should not have restored them to as good as new.  I know it is each to his own in these matters but in my view its got to be restored or left in good original condition all the cars in between deserve owners who would appreciate them a little more.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:05:08 PM by bobbybubble »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »
Hold on,

My Mk1 Scootacar won best plastic car at this years national (didn't know I had entered?!).  It's a nice thing and was rather poor when discovered by Ron Menzies when discovered. 

There's nothing wrong with restored mint, older resto, mint original or tatty original. Whatever floats your boat.

BUT,   it's nice to see a tatty old thing with a degree of patination.  Originality and correct spec Nazis are very boring. Don't get me wrong I like a car correct.  But when some person actually says I have the wrong fuel tap on my Schmitt I have to question what ethos this human subscribes to?  By all means look. But tearing someones car apart is rather bad form dear boy...

Look at Pebble Beach concours in California. Ralph Lauren and Jay Leno have their millions of dollar cars trailered to the event which have been restored by someone else for huge cost.   It's synthetic and anal.   

I prefer a tatty old thing that's used daily.  I was out in my mates 3/25 '66 Regal today. It's not a pretty sight but it goes well.  Compared to the tiresome porridge on todays roads it's a bit of fresh air and people appreciate it.   

That's my 2p's worth.  Discuss!!

-Benvenuto Cellini

Dan Rodd

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 05:49:46 PM »
wouldnt happen to be the black 3/25 would it?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
Always had a soft spot for old Regals, reliants were the only cars my dad ever owned . Great for driving in the winter, ya get a nice warm leg. I had the old side valve job when I was seventeen, loved it but it was always blowing head gaskets, I think they were prone to head warping, Dan would proberbly know.

Dan Rodd

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »
not too sure about the sidevalves(like mine) as there are so few still around,the ohv engine though is a nightmare with headgaskets,7 out of 8 of mine have either failed or been in the process of failing. :-[

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »
no it's not the black one from evilbay. it's a grey 3/25 with its original 600 engine with solex. done 30k miles. tatty but together and honest.

goes ok.  indeed the o/s tunnel is nice and warm!!   
-Benvenuto Cellini

Dan Rodd

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »
youre not 65trident off r3w then?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
I am he! 
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
Despite the myth that is Cyphus dragging his great size eleven boot up the side panel whilst getting in,

:(  Did I? Oops, sorry about that.

'ere, hang on a moment, Size elevens? In that case it couldn't have been me. I've got size fourteen feet....  :o