Author Topic: Allen keys, when were they invented?  (Read 7366 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Allen keys, when were they invented?
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
I'm looking for some fixings to go around the bottom of my aero screen and the neatest thing I can find are little stainless allen mushroom cap heads , very aeronautical looking but proberbly not contempory to the car which is 1954. Then I got to thinking, just when did the Allen hex stuff come in because sometimes these things are earlier than imagined, does anyone know exactly?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:44:27 PM by bobbybubble »

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Allen keys, when were they inverted?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
Hi Bob, a quick look on wikipedia, reveals that "Allen wrench" was originally a trademark of the Allen Manufacturing Company in Hartford, Connecticut, taken out in 1943. Although it goes on to say: in parts of Europe, it is usually known as an "Unbrako key" which is a brand name established in 1911. In Germany and the Netherlands, this type of screw is known by the name "Inbus", after the company that patented them in 1936, in Italy it is known as brugola, after Egidio Brugola, who invented it in 1926.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:46:26 AM by blob »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Allen keys, when were they invented?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
Well then Mr Bloby, does this give me artistic license to use them on a 1954 Inter Torpedo bearing in mind there is no other to copy as a reference point? Will I be drummed out of the Rum circle? What did they use on aeroplanes, probably rivets but that doesn't allow one the facility of being able to remove them easily at a later date. As this is more or less the last job on this car I must give it serious thought, don't want to sink the ship for a halfputh of tar. Thanks for the research Blob.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:44:54 PM by bobbybubble »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »
Hi Bob
           Allen keys were used on Heinkel engines from 1954 so you can use them on your Inter -  I am going to the Retromobil in Paris in february (in my car) so if there is anything you want me to pick up for you I'd be pleased to get the items for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your Inter!!!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:51:23 PM »
Thanks Goggo. Well thats it then, its official and if anyone moans I shall just say Goggo said it was alright! I had my suspicions that allen keys went back a fair way as my 1957 Motobi engine uses them but I couldn't ever remember seeing them used on a fifties microcar so thats interesting that Heir Earnest used them in 54. I made and fitted the Inter aeroscreen today, it was a nightmare job but then again everything on this car has been. Have fun at Retromobile, what are the dates this year, I may go too.  Regards, Bob
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:45:27 PM by bobbybubble »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
Retromobil is on for a week from the 9th of february - I am going on the first day to look for anything microcar - I am going with another RUM car correspondent - I suppose he will be looking for Minii-Comtesse parts and brochures. I'd say come with us but I've already booked the ferry crossing.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »
Never mind. Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:45:54 PM by bobbybubble »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:44:56 PM »
being able to remove them easily at a later date

Would I be right in thinking, you may covert this machine to accomodate a canopy (Berline style) in the near future?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
Hi Blob. What I was thinking of was if the plexiglass cracked or started to look scuffed in the future it would be easy to change for a new piece. Now that I have fitted it in retrospect it would have been impossible to use rivets anyway because it would have left no margin for adjustment, you see these Inter bodies were hand made and nothing is quite symmetrical, one corner curve where the screen fits is slightly different to the other, one mudguard is not quite the same shape as the other and so on. You can image that for a semi perfectionist, the amount of compromises involved in restoring an inter is hard to bare and in the end you just have to go with the flow! About Berlines, this is a torpedo and will remain so, in the light of what has just been said, even in the unlikely event of a canopy turning up it would never fit anyway. I have no ambition to convert to Berline, there is a reasonably strong case for concluding that this was made as a Torpedo, after bead blasting the body there was revealed a series of aeroscreen holes plus other indications.
 The launch literature in 1954 offered the car in the two guises with pictures of both Berline and Torpedo, mine is chassis number 5 so very close to the time of launch, I'm happy to leave as is. It also suits my needs because I already have a greenhouse on wheels, the Schmitt, now I'm looking forward to feeling the wind in my hair[if I had any] and wearing silly Biggles hats and goggles!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:46:14 PM by bobbybubble »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »
Retromobile;  I am going with another RUM car correspondent - I suppose he will be looking for Minii-Comtesse parts and brochures.

Not only that, he'll be hunting for French invalid carriage stuff as well.....   ;) ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 06:41:27 PM »
Have fun Stuart, dont expect too much though, the autojumble section is not very big. How long are you going for? Is it just a day trip? May see you there.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:46:35 PM by bobbybubble »

inacoma

Re: Messerschmitt at retro
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
Hi

You might be interested in the video clip they are using on the retros website :-

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3sz1w_la-femme-et-lautomobile-a-monthlery_events

Nice convertible, so not too greenhouse like.

If i can't go to retromobile, if there are any duplicates of Acoma stuff I would be very pleased to buy anything

Ta.

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
Hi John, I watched the video, nice 201. Did you see that 2CV fancying its chances against the racing car?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:47:01 PM by bobbybubble »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
I knew there'd be a reasonable explanation Bob. I agree your car should remain as a Torpedo. It had been suggested I convert my Frisky Coupe into a Sport because someone hacked off the roof. Instead I sourced another Frisky so one could be moulded later. I believe if it once was, then it should be again.

As for the Retromobile, I was unaware that such an event existed, probably because I
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 03:41:28 PM by blob »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »
Retromobil is an indoor show on the outskirts of paris - quite near the Metro station - about the same size or a little bit bigger than the Alexandra palace show. there is about 200 - 300 stands there covering all sorts of intrest from old boats to vintage cars. there are about a dozen book and brochure stands and a few more selling toys, all the main French suppliers are there and stalls specialing in most of the french cars. As its an indoor show prices are not cheap - but if you have got a French car it's a must. I am driving over on the overnight boat from portsmouth and spending all of Saturday at the show returning early Sunday morning.
  I have been to the show 12 times in the last 14 years and always thoughly enjoyed myself - I always find something of micro interest and have photographed a number of the cars in past issues of RUM car news - There is a coach going over for the last weekend of the show and I think the cost is about £120 including admission.