Author Topic: A funny thing happen to me on friday!  (Read 2781 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
A funny thing happen to me on friday!
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »
I decided to take my self and a microcar off to the Bath rally last Friday. I thought it would be good and in the spirit of things if I drove a bubblecar their instead of using a trailer but was not looking forward to driving through London and certainly didnt want to pay the dreaded congestion charge so I set off at four oclock in the morning from my home in Essex. I was passing westminster at about 4.40am and there was hardly another vehicle in site, by 4.50 I was on the M4 and buzzing along at about 50mph. I stopped at Membery services for fuel and an Irish truck driver run over to me and asked if I had come through London at 4.30 to which I replied yes then he muttered something about so and so wants to know who you are, well I concluded that he was a nutter and carried on. After stopping on the hard shoulder to fix the rear mudguard back on that had worked loose I made it to the next services and topped up again, this time a white van man runover to me and said Was you going through London at 4.30 am? Yes thats right. He continued, You have just been on radio 2, Sarah Kennedy the radio show presenter had said on air that she had seen this funny little yellow car with a picnic basket on the back the way to the studio as she crossed westminster bridge saying she thought she was seeing things as there was nothing else on the road at that time in the morning . She wanted to know who I was and where I was going so early in the day. I was able to get a message over to radio 2 and advertised the Bath rally. Did anyone else hear it?I think it was at about 6am. The rally turned out to be a good one and included a nice trip out on the saturday to Cheddar gourge.I managed to cover 310 miles without incident other than the said loose mudgaurd and being spotted by a celebtity!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: A funny thing happen to me on friday!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 05:06:20 PM »
Well done Bob, what a unique way to get publiicity for a Microcar Rally.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »
Cannot top your stor, but can add this: Mike Shepherd phoned me after the week end to tell me that he had managed to drive his "Numbers" Trojan to Bath and back; this is the brightly painted car that was outside a fashion shop in Camden for a few years. He was talking about people's reaction to it on the road, including one car whose passenger was leaning out of the window (on the M4) trying to get photos.
 Later my neighbour asked me if I knew of any colourful bubblecars which had been on the M4 at that time. He had a grin on his face so I realised that it had been him and his wife, out in the West Country for the week end, who had been doing the extreme photography. Small world.
A few weeks ago I noticed an old VW camper driving very "enthusiastically" when I looked in my mirror. I kept finding small gaps between vehicles, but for several miles saw that this VW was behind me , whichever way I turned, but unable to thread its way through traffic as well, hence some desparate catch up manouvers. Eventually at traffic lights he screeched up beside me and leapt out to get pix before the lights changed, I congratulated the Aussie driver on his persistence!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:32:01 AM »
A couple of good stories there Marcus! I saw Mike and the numbers car at Bath, he gave me a ride in it, it sounded quite healthy! I guess more and more people will be leaning out of windows  to take  pictures than ever before as so many carry camera phones with them now.Sorry you couldnt make the farm Marcus. See you another time, Bob P