Author Topic: KR200 hydraulic brakes?  (Read 10919 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: KR200 hydraulic brakes?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:07 PM »
I've done considerable research on this over the past week or so and it seems that the kit offered in 1960 was a seven inch by one and a quarter drum with twin leading shoes of girling origin, its all beginning to sound very Isetta like. The master cylinder was not mounted behind the brake pedal but alongside the handbrake bracket and was operated remotely, probably by the left side cable ear, I haven't worked that out yet as the ear moves in the wrong direction to push the rod. { thats a thought, where is the master cylinder mounted on a TG500? there is precious little room behind the pedal} The kit was £25 in 1960 so quite a lot of money back then. I am still assuming that some custom parts were made to enable it all to go together, possibly a bespoke hub or even narrower drum so as not to make the track wider. I know the average schmitt could take a slightly wider track but when I restored mine I was sold some new steel wings from the club that old Garner as usual was promoting as the best thing since sliced bread and as not unusual were seriously floored. The wings are good quality and nicely made but actually come up slightly narrower than the originals leaving no room for a wider distance between wheels. Apparently there is a guy who has already successfully done this conversion recently and drives a car that has also has an MZ engine conversion, thats going too far for me but I'm still determined to at least get my head around the brakes idea even if I decide not to do it on my current car.

inacoma

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
Hi

Super Comtesse & Break are both 8" hydraulic, but can't find out who original manufacturer is.

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:13:12 PM »
Being French it could be Bendix?

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 11:13:07 AM »
There was a complicated system that looks like two friction pads rubbing together, made by Luchier
and a disc set-up by Girard.  I'll try to find out who made the drum brakes and post here if I have any
luck.

These systems were used on many of the SP class of vehicles.

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

inacoma

Acoma Break and Brakes
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Hi

Just had an email from french microcar enthusiast.

He says that the Acoma brake system is the same as on an Arola. Still no manufacturer, but it is another little but of info..

John

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »
Hi John

My Arola 11 (three-wheeler) and the current four-wheeler both have cable brakes so
I'm not sure which model your French friend has in mind.

Still no word from my French people apart from a couple of unhelpful comments but
I'll keep the thread up to date if I hear anything.

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »
Thanks guys. I have just been put in touch with a guy who has already converted his, im just waiting to see if he is prepared to share his knowledge.

inacoma

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »
Acomas from Super onwards are deffo. hydraulic.

With the cables on the Arola I wonder if they actuate directly onto the brake shoes? not up on tis type.

Here is a good picture of a break, does the hub exterior look similar? on the Ebay picture of your 4 wheel Arola it looks completely different to me.

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 10:41:46 PM »
Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. I have at last found out how to do it and it involves the use of parts that are readily availible and can be done invisibly, will let you know how I get on. Cheers , Bob

Avolette

• Occasional
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 09:19:36 PM »
Hello Bobbybubble,
You know, others cars with hydraulic brake system are Isetta Velam, Bmw and Avolette. And the fun thing is that on the Inter and on the Avolette, there are exactly the same wheels,drums and braking system !
Regards
Don
Avolette, Messerschmitt, Solyto, Autobianchi Eden-Roc, ROLUX 125

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »
Hi Donald. of course I know all these cars have hydraulic brakes. They also run on 10 inch wheels and not 8 inch except for the avollette and this is the problem. I did notice that Inter and avolette wheels and hubs were the same but both of these cars are rare and it is very unlikely that these parts will become availible as spare parts. Or should i ask,  Don, do you have spare Inter or Avolette wheels and hubs to sell me? Donald, will you be going to Retromobile ? I will be there this saturday the 9th, it would be nice to meet you. Best wishes, Bob
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:17:50 AM by bobbybubble »

Avolette

• Occasional
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »
No bob, i am sorry, i have not spare parts to sell. In fact, i have not spare parts !! the big problem is the rarity of theses cars parts. The bouffort city "enville" had same wheels and hubs as inters and avolettes. But i never saw one, or just saw it, because perhaps it was just one build, i don't know.
Did you see the Reyonnah for sale in France ? i think the guy wants a lot, a big lot of money, regarding th eprice ha wants for a unrestored  kr 200 (17 000 Euros) !
I saw your trip to Paris was good, very funny your report with your friends. I am disappointed not have meet you, perhaps later ?
Donald
Avolette, Messerschmitt, Solyto, Autobianchi Eden-Roc, ROLUX 125

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »
Hi Don. I thought that was the case, I think I told you before that my Inter had no drums and hubs/ Backplates ect when I first got it, I borrowed parts from the car that is now owned by Pierrick Chavault and made copies of them. In a way I am glad there are no parts like this spare because I would have gone to all that trouble and expense for nothing! I am afraid to ask the price of the Rayonnah, I fear that it will go to the USA, I'm not against selling cars abroard but because of the rarity and the fact that there are two over there already it would be a shame. I'm sure we will meet up one day. Cheers, Bob

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »
Is there any publicly viewable listing for this Rayonnah anywhere for us to have a look at, or is it a private personal sale which is not being advertised?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 03:34:01 PM »
Stuart, I have emailed you a link.