Author Topic: KV/KVS Mini 1 parts and information wanted  (Read 4927 times)

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
KV/KVS Mini 1 parts and information wanted
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:27:52 PM »
After easing into the world of two-stroke automobiles with a pair of SAAB 96 sedans, I have purchased a 1980 KV Mini 1 and wish to post the standard plea for information on parts, literature, general knowledge, and the like related to this vehicle. This is one of two KV/KVS cars formerly in the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum (http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/kvs.html), though the museum's website refers to mine as a 1982 or 1983 KVS Mini 1.  I now have the car running and driving in Shoreline, Washington (a suburb of Seattle), but it is only a matter of time before difficulties arise.  Besides, the car arrived with a broken exterior door handle and without its fuel cap.  I don't suppose anyone has spares handy?  Thanks.

Mike Harrell
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

inacoma

Re: KV/KVS Mini 1 parts and information wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:24:23 PM »
Hi

Here is one for sale in central France, you may be able to get some info. about spares.

Seller has had the car on Ebay a ccouple of times and is now open to offers.

You can use this site to email him in french;-

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Vends-voiture-sans-permis-K-V-S-1500-euros-a-debattre_W0QQitemZ150206259718QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9897QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »
I love the transmission on these cars, like a bigger version of a friction driven cycle motor! I guess that the little spring and dogtooth arrangement is a form of differential The simple ideas are often the best and certainly the cheapest!

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
The "spring and dogtooth arrangement" may act somewhat as a differential, in that it lets the tires slip a bit more independently, but its primary purpose seems to be strain relief for vertical movement of the rear suspension.  I agree about the drivetrain-- it's the reason I bought the car.  I've never owned any automobile this new before and have already been mocked for moving up into the 1980s, but I just couldn't resist that capstan drive.

Mike Harrell
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »
Well well, its getting cruder all the time!

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »
Crude?  Not at all-- it has an ultramodern 12-volt electrical system (with turn signals!) and the finest in cable-actuated brakes at all four corners.  What more could one want?

Mike Harrell

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 05:27:55 PM »
My mistake.  Now that I've had the opportunity to drive the KV and work my way through some of its quirks with the aid of the owner's manual, it turns out the spring-and-dogtooth is designed to apply the correct amount of lateral force against the large pulley, which is split.  This, in turn, maintains proper tension on the drive belt.  I had assumed the small pulley on the engine's driveshaft was supposed to take up the slack, but apparently it just houses the centrifugal clutch.

Mike Harrell

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 05:44:10 PM »
Hey Mike,
I know that it has been nearly an eon, but I do have both a door handle and fuel cap that could probably now be successfully scanned and 3 D printed.
Marvels of modern technology!
However in an otherwise (grind) stone age vehicle I am currently befuddled by what appears to be a crude version of a magnetic pickup type ignition system mounted about the crankshaft's end that looks like it must somehow be triggered by the rotation of a couple o f square shouldered (woodruff?) keys located in keyways cut into a collar quite steadfastly mounted on the end of the crankshaft.

One for forward, and one for reverse timing?

Should they be magnetized?  Mine currently are not demonstrating this property.

Yesterday I made a puller plate and exerted quite a bit of force on the key retaining collar at the end of the crank to hopefully allow me to remove the pick up assembly for bench testing.  But despite a strong pull, it refused to come off.
Other than the seemingly unlikely existence of a set screw or roll pin of some sort hiding under the key ways, or it being a very strong press fit, I have no clue as to what is retaining it, and still do not really knowhow to test or fix the system.

Suggestions welcome!!