Author Topic: Practical Classics February 2008  (Read 4349 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Practical Classics February 2008
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »
Has anyone got this particular issue as the I.C.R archives is after an email scan copy of the last page in which one of the staff writers reminices about Villiers engines and mentions conveyances, with a rather natty cartoon of something approching a Model 70 also featured.

I would just buy a copy of the magazine, but I really can't justify spending £3.90 on one side of A4 that has but three lines of interest, hence this request. (Who just shouted "Tight-fisted old sod!?")  Anyone who can supply the page can request a freebie scan copy of anything he likes from the I.C.R archive in return......   Many thanks in advance  :-*

Dan Rodd

Re: Practical Classics February 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
ive seen it,and to be honest i think you should write in and complain as the usual "deathtraps" bollo has been written about them

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
Funnily enough, I was planning to write in about it & put them stright on a few points.  "I gather some folk even collect & restore them."  Yeah, only approching some 250 of us...........  8)

Don't forget, this is the El Supremo of the conveyance world they're dealing with this time!

Anyone got a copy I could bag a scan of?

inacoma

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53:01 PM »
Talking of Bo--ocks

I had an experienced mechanic telling me all about how they cut up all of the German aeroplanes after the war and turned them into Messerschmitt cars.

I did try to tell him it was a popular myth, but he would't have it and just said that they had to say that or no-one would buy the cars.

Oh!!!!!!! well at least we know.

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:48:44 PM »
ive seen it,and to be honest i think you should write in and complain as the usual "deathtraps" bollo has been written about them

When I first tried to buy a Model 70, many years ago now, the very helpful and friendly guy at the Ministry who was charged with signing off the destruction warrants for the cars looked after by Fox Motor Company at Tankerton told me that in all the years he'd been dealing with them he had only had to attend one incident where the disabled driver of an Invacar had been badly injured in a crash.  When the wreckage (of the car, that is!) was examined the remains of a Chinese meal was discovered wedged into the handlebars.  It appeared that the driver had been eating his takeaway on the move and had lost control!  Silly bugger.

He also had a regular job of arranging for an AC to be removed from an elderly lady's front garden as the local youths were fond of lifting it over her wall on their way home from the pub.

The answer to my question "Can I buy one, please?" was, of course, "NO!" but he was kind enough to let me take a couple for a spin round the car park before they met their doom.  Happy days indeed.

Regards
Nick D.

Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 01:15:55 AM »
Nice story Nick:  I have one as well.   Last year I decided to put my Invacar (not AC) Model 70 in the local parade during our Gladiolus Festival.  I even washed it and made it look pretty.  I had a hard time starting it that morning, the time was about 10:00 am and the parade didn't start until 5:00, so I had plenty of time. Sometimes if it doesn't start first attempt, it takes forever.  Finally I was successfull in starting it, and once it starts, then it is normally good for the rest of the day.  I took it for a run to the south-side of town ( a mile away) and it ran nice, but couldn't make over 20mph.  Since I didn't have time to see why, for I had many other cars to get ready as well, and the parade only goes 1 or 2 mph anyway.  Well as it happened after lunch everything was in order so I decided to take a look at the Model 70.  Still couldn't pass 20.  I took it back to my shop, and thought that I'de change the plug wires.  Being only two, not difficult at all.  I put new wires on and cleaned the plugs, they were not dirty, but cleaned them anyway.  It started right up, put in forward, twisted the throttle and accelerated.  Boy did it take off!!  The front wheel I am sure was six inches off the ground and in about 200 yards doing 50mph.  Exhillerating, especially since the handlebars are really stiff to turn, so I put pressure on the bar to brake and it did so wonderfully and in a perfectly straight line, and the open windows even closed all by themselves, sliding forward.  Ran beautifully throughout the parade, with even photos in the local newspaper.  Great little car.  Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal