Author Topic: Deathly Silence!!!  (Read 8399 times)

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Deathly Silence!!!
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »
I suddenly realised for the last two days there has been not chat on the Forum.  Then I realised why all the usual contributors are living it up at 'Retromobile' in France.   Now theres a chance for new folk to get a word in edgeways!!!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Deathly Silence!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:18:09 PM »
Well I am not at retromobile, so chat chat chat chat chat!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

inacoma

Re: Hi
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »
Hi Marcus

I'm not there either.

I would have liked to go, but we have had the plumbers in last week and I am suposed to be building the walls of an en-suite shower room.

I ended up rewiring some lights in the kitchen, visiting my mum with my 3 daughters and 2 of their boyfriends instead and going out for a walk with Val.

The building work was too daunting and the weather far too nice.

If this is global warming, I am going to be selfish for a mo and say it was GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Probably do the building next weekend ;)

Have you still got your Velorex ?

John

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:48:28 PM »
I've literally got back home from Retromobile. Full report from us three men on a boat tommorow no doubt, when we're not quite so knackered. But to give a sneek preview, it'll include, lots of Funny French Fhings of a micro nature, a Scott Sociable, a Mathis 333 and the Red Light district of Paris.......   :-[

But for now...  ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:23:18 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »
Dear Jean

And some of us have been putting together the final touches to articles to meet the deadline for the next edition of Rumcar News.

Chris Thomas

inacoma

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:50 PM »
Hi Everyone

welcome back, you were suposed to be looking at cars, not cruising the back streets.

Hope you had fun

john

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 01:16:52 PM »
I'm back but still rather boat lagged and nursing a pair of aching legs. Mike Shephard may be old but was still able to completely outwalk us youngsters! I know Stuart will be wanting to post the pix but allow me to start the ball rolling with this Mathis 333. Stuart and I spent considerable time crawling all over this car, at one stage I thought Stuart had walk off only to discover him under the car with legs sticking out! I must emphasize that it was not my idea to visit the Moulin Rouge, I was happy to retire after Notre Dame and L'arch de triomphe but those other two rascals dragged me there. Regarding the car show, as usual there was plenty to see, Mike and Stuart filled their bags with bundles of microcar brochures whilst I pursued my usual impossible quest of tracking down Inter spares, needless to say I returned with my back pack empty.Each time I visit this show I come home impressed with the innovation expressed by French designers, some of the motorcycles I saw were years ahead and also with the cars, Panhards in particular, the quality of the aluminum body trim, bumpers, handles ect is all so unnecessary but there just to please the beholder! Being with Mike and Stuart was fun and over the course of the weekend many an interesting microcar discussion was had, Just to give you a taste, during one discussion I had to say that we all took the hobby far too seriously and that despite myself being obsessed with microcars ,in the face of the bigger picture [the problems humanity faces with wars, hunger,natural disasters, disease, global warming ect] microcars were not that important and that if all trace of microcars and there history were erased, mankind would be non the worst for it. After considerable pontification Stuart announced that he disagreed and thus concluded that microcars were much more important than people! The logic being that people can upset you where as he had never been upset by a microcar! I concluded that we have the right man at the helm of the ICR! We all got on famously and learned much about each other. Other headlines about the trip are as follows, Mike receives a marriage proposal at Notre Dame! Stuart receives another sort of proposal outside the Moulin Rouge! Also it is revealed that Stuart is in fact Scottish and was subsequently refereed to as The young pretender Stuart McCyphus! All very infantile but passed the time of day. Mike thankfully organized the trip and took control which relieved Me and Mccyphus of almost all responsibility, in fact in many ways it reminded me of a school trip with Mike as the headmaster and me and mac the schoolboys! I think I preferred it that way! Anyway a big thankyou to mike and Stuart for a good weekend.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 06:08:01 PM by bobbybubble »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Retromobile pics
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »
 So then, now for the story from my angle.  First interesting thing we saw was a pedal rickshaw thing parked outside an Idiian resturant opposite the show halls. Naturally we had to go back that night & sample the wares inside said resurant, Mike & Bob were ordering like pros but I couldn't even work out what half the stuff was having led a very sheltered life as regards my eating habits....

Once inside the show itself, I made the mistake of stopping a moment to sort my bag out and that was the last I saw of Mike (who had rushed off to the jumble stands in hall 4) and Bob (who had rushed off to find something to do with Inters, in fact ANYTHING at all to do with Inters) and that was the last I saw of them for a few hours!  I strolled over to the motorcycle disply, obseved a rather nice Bond Autobyke and then I happoned to glance upwards, to be greeted by a vehicle I've spent twenty years waiting to see "in the metal", a 1920's Scott Scoiciable of all things!!!  :o  I wandered slowly around the display, looking at the scott from every angle, the I found myself tripping over another vehicle I've spent years hunting. A 1926 Monotrace!!!!   :o :o  These both in the first few minnites.....

After a while I managed to bump into Bob again, and it was he who pointed out the Mathis 333 to me, a car which I had always thought no longer existed. Bob's got some pictuers of this up already, so it was now on to the autojumble and the great brousher hunt commenced....

Alas, there was no Mini-Comtesse items to be seen anywhere at all. One stallholder asked if I was looking for anything specific & in my best fractured non-existance French, I finally got the point across for "Anything Mini-Comtesse?"  The stallholder finally twigged, said that he haden't in his best fractured non-existant English, then asked if I was Scottish by dint of my accent!!!!!!    :o  I wouldn't mind, but I've never even been near the place!  (Memo to self; next time I'm talking to Grant Kearney, ask him if he's ever been asked by a Frenchman if he comes from Oxford.....  ;))   Naturally Bob & Mike found it all highly amusing for the next two days.....

Anyway, back to the serius business of blowing money....  I spent half my money on just one stand with umpteen Sans Permis items, so I now have plenty to bore everyone with at a later date.  On another stall I had to stand meekly by and watch as Mike beat me to a rather nice Mk 1 Flipper brousher (SWINE!!)  Mind you. I beat him to the KVS Brake leaflet later on.... A picture of my haul follows...

After the show came the whistlestop tour of the sights of Paris as Bob mentions, and here's the evidence of what Mike & Bob were aiming for.....  ;)

Judging by all the pictures in all the those shops with those nice red lights outside, the girls of France can't afford much in the way of clouths.  Of all the other items in the windows I'm far too innocent to know what they were for.  The only thing I could think of was mayby they were for getting stones out of horses hooves. Mind you, I didn't see any cars in the pictures, so it must have been a very boring place inside......

As Bob said, a very good weekend, with a big thanks to Mike who sorted out all the tickets and did all the driving.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:01:31 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
If Stuart is finished I will put up a few more pix. This Riedel is an example of design innovation, look at the front mono fork and the rear mono swingarm. Who really invented the egg engine, Riedel or the Benelli brothers? Having just done some research on this make I discovered that it a German motorcycle and not French as I previously assumed!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:49:28 PM by bobbybubble »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »
Here is the little Panhard I fell in love with, its smaller than it looks, simular to a Reault 4CV. Lovely trim features!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
the French may be clever but they have not yet worked out where the sidecar is supposed to go!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »
This was the iceing on the cake! Now this is my kind of bike!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:59:35 PM by bobbybubble »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »
Jean. Are we being noisy enough for you?