Author Topic: Heinkel Kabine parts wanted  (Read 12777 times)

inacoma

Heinkel Kabine parts wanted
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »
Hi

Obviously i couuld ask the H.K. club, but thought I would aske the Rumcars Team first.

Has anyone got a spare petrol cap that they would sell, or does anyone know what else is the same?

Thanks

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Heinkel Kabine parts wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »
Alo Alo! Have we aquired a Hienkel then John? Sorry I cant help with the filler cap.

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:25:32 PM »
I have one - which sort of petrol tank is it - there are two types - one is quite common and the other qiute rare, I have the common type, I need the photograph of the opening.

inacoma

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
Hi Everyone.

Yes i have got myself a 1958 Heinkel.

Has an M.O.T. and is in good condition. has a later engine (Honda Helix) fitted, so runs as an automatic.
Also has original engine etc.

I have had it for just over a week, but have been waiting for the insurance to send a cover note (took 8 days) before I could tax it and give it a drive, so I could let you know more.

Took it out yesterday late afternoon, It went fine for the first couple of miles, went round the block a few times with one of my mates in it. then I dropped him back home and decided to go another couple of miles to where I work to drop some paperwork in. When I went o pull away it died, petrol run out I presumed as I knew it was a bit low. It still had petrol though, so i presumed it may be too old as the last owner hasn't used it except to get it M.O.T.'d for about 2 years.

Anyway mixed in some new unleaded as thats what it runs on and off I went again, with wife and no.2 daughter following in the Ford Focus. About half a mile down the road it conked out again.

At this point the local kids all arrived and started laughing and asking what it was could they buy one etc. luckily after a couple of minutes it started up again and went O.K. for the next 2 miles to get home.

When I got home I realised I had lost the petrol cap, I have got my work to look for it and they have found one that sounds like it but it's been run over and is a bit flat now.

Will have to clean out carb, plug etc. and check everything else over at the weekend.

I haven't had a 3 wheeler before (lots of 1950's A30/35's) there are no major loose bits on the wheels and steering, but it seems very very vague and wanders and threads a lot I presume this is normal,?  but will probably get someone else who has one to try it out for me when I meet up with them.

Hi Mike thanks for the offer and info on the cap, here is a picture of the filler hole :-

If it's a match let me know how much and I can send to your Paypal account

Cheers everyone

John

X

inacoma

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
Hi

Sorry wrong picture, this is the complete car UBY 684, for any previous owners

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »
Hi John
           Yes I have got one to fit this - no charge - just let me know your address and I will send it to you - Mike

inacoma

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:54:54 AM »
Hi Mike

Thanks you are a STAR ;D

Just shows how good it is to have the forum and what a great help everyone is.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
Congratulations John. It looks very tidy indeed!  Maybe just some bumpers to finish it off. I'm sure you will get over the teething troubles, at least you have the option of having it serviced at a modern motorcycle/scooter shop on account of the honda engine. Will you be concidering changing it back to Heinkel power or sticking with the scooter engine? Congratulations again, you are now a proper microcar driver!!

inacoma

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 12:29:49 PM »
Hi Bob

Thanks, I am very "chuffed" ;D with it

I think I will leave the engine if it works O.K. and settles down. I have to go back to pick up all of the engine and ancilaries, probably over the weekend, and will have a better idea of what would be needed if I want to reinsatate it. I was told that it was changed to aid reliability, so could be the engine was due for a rebuild and some work anyway.

Done the sensible thing as the car has had a fortune spent, and then the owner lost interest, it's not been used for last 2 1/2 years as the next owner had it in a garage at the bottom of a steep slope and couldn't move it around as unfortunately he has had a heart attack.

Repainted and interior retrimmed, but not overdone, just looks like a car that is a couple of years old.

Bumpers would be nice, if anyone has a set?

Going to buy or make a trailer next, as the only one I have is 4 foot x 8 foot box.

John

inacoma

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »
It's amazing how many jobs you can get done at home, when you are off ill

Got a picture now.

Only taken just over a year to get around to it

;D

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »
Nice one John, I love Heinkels, will Acomas ever get a look in again!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:22:05 PM by blob »

inacoma

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
Hi

Any microcar will alway have a chance ::)

John

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »
Hi John
           Part sent to you this afternoon - should arrive over the weekend - Cheque the tyre pressure I've found this to be the cause of the cars "skittish" behavour - the front tyres shoud be 22 lbs and the back tyre 29lbs - thats with a standard engine. Another cause might be the rubber mounts holding the engine to the bulkhead - its easy to check this just jack up the rear of the car using the bodywork not too far just so as the rear wheel is clear off the ground then push the rear wheel and see if the engine wobbles. I hope that this has been useful to you over the past 35 years I have driven my Hienkle/Trojan about 50 - 70,000 miles all accross Europe, I seldom use a trailer - Bubble cars are for driving.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
Hi John. In addition to what Mike has said, the problem could also be the rear tyre. Are you still running on the scooter tyre that came with the honda engine and transmission? If so scooter tyres are not designed with the wall stiffness required for use on a car,what happens is the wheel moves from side to side on the tyre thus causing the car to wag its tail as it goes along and playing havoc with the steering! This is a common problem with messerschmitts, a proper car tyre might solve the problem. Equally likely is what Mike suggested and the engine mounts could be two soft for the job of carrying the back of the car, its much heavier than a scooter. This is often the problem with engine conversions, any fool can graft one on a car but few follow through with all the other necessary modifications to really make it work properly. I'm not saying yours hasn't been done properly John but its worth a look.

inacoma

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 06:36:08 PM »
Hi

Thanks mates, I know one problem straight away, I have the front 2 tyres way over inflated, one had almost no preassure at all, so wizzed them up to about 30 lb as soon as I had driven it back from the other side of B'mth.

Both of the fronts are the Trelborg ? make ones that are like the old crossply tread, and I'm not used to 3 wheelers, so some of it is probably me as well.

Any other tips appreciated.

Ta

John

P.S. Will check on the other things at the weekend.