Author Topic: Heinkel Kabine parts wanted  (Read 12390 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Heinkel Kabine parts wanted
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »
Hi John

To add to what the others have said, I once had a Morris Minor van that relied upon a pinhole in the petrol cap to vent the petrol tank. I changed the cap for one with a lock (during petrol rashoning) which had no vent and so as the tank emptied it created a vacuum until the pump could not suck the petrol through, and the engine stopped. Taking off the cap let in air, the engine started and off we went again for a few miles and then it stopped again.

It took me some time to realise what was happening, but once I had, and changed the cap for the correct one, all was OK.

Your story sounds very similar, so perhaps you may have suffered the same problem.

Chris T

Dan Rodd

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 08:39:21 PM »
all petrol tank caps should have a vent hole for the reason you mention,often polish blocks the hole up etc.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
John, your straight line driving is nothing to do with it being a three wheeler and you not being used to it. A three wheeler that is set up correctly and driving on original equipment will steer in a line the same as a four wheeler. I would try the tyre pessures first and then look at the other things suggested. Cheers, Bob

inacoma

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 08:12:32 AM »
Hi

I think you are right, the back tyre is probably very low on pressure and the front 2 over the top, the symptoms seem to be what you described, bob.

Cheers everyone.

Will keep you posted.

john

Dan Rodd

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »
for comparison,a Reliants tyre pressures are around 30 at the front(where all the weight is)and 25 at the back,so you should have more pressure in your rear tyre than the front ones :)

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 01:15:29 PM »
Hi John
          The front two tyres should be Trellabourgs - there the right size and they are on a few of my cars - I've been thinking about your petrol problem, and I've never heard of a heinkel tank having a vacoum inside it - mostly people tend to fit an inline filter on the down pipe - it does not work on gravity feed tanks - SO IF YOU HAVE ONE TAKE IT OFF - that will save you cleaning out the carburettor at the weekend - incidently I noticed your rear tyre was under inflated in the picture the tyre pressures I gave you are correct for a Heinkel - happy driving.

inacoma

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
Hi

I think the fuel was probably past it's best, at least 2 1/2 years old that the bloke I purchased from knew about, so fingers crossed that with a new load mixed in it will be O.K.

Rear tyre looks too soft to me as well, I have the hondas workshop manual and service guide so will check that in the light tomorrow if the rain stops a bit.

Petrol cap has already arrived, been fitted, and is in better condition than the old one ever was so :) :D ;D

A MASSIVE  thanks to Mike, what a hero

Will let you knoe progress, weather permitting.

Cheers everyone.

John

X

inacoma

Re: Heinkel Kabine
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
Hi all

I got the tyre pressures O.K. on the Heinkel today and it's like a different car. ( having read the Honda Helix workshop manual, the tyre pressure is suposed to be 32 PSI. under load, so I presume that 5LB was a little bit underinflated )

Mixed in a further gallon of new petrol, which with the one I did on Weds. it almost filled the tank.

I did about 20 miles all around Bournemouth and Christchurch areas this afternoon and it went without a hitch.

Great to see the faces of everyone who probably hasn't seen one for years

Keep up the good work with advice and tips everyone, together we are the A TEAM

John

X

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
Congrats John! Just teething troubles after all then! Im so pleased it was nothing serious. I was in Bournmouth or should i say more Poole yesturday and I was keeping an eye out just on the off chance of seeing the new red local attraction but it wasnt to be!  5psi? I can just imagine that rim swaying from side to side on the tyre! Have you decided on what your first rally will be?  Cheers, Bob

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
Hello John, glad to see you are making progress. Did that first photo you posted go in the H?T mag recently? It looks familiar. That's a lovely car, hope to see it sometime. I wish this forum had been going when I restored my Trojan, but I also did get a lot of help from Goggo, including an engine re-build.
I have a nephew who is at uni in B'mouth, so if you ever get wild response from a tall afro'd lad in a 1970s blue VW Beetle it will be him
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

inacoma

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »
Hi

The photo's not in the last 2 that I have just been sent, but I have a big gap before that and then a lot of old ones from a previous owner, so not sure.

Everywhere you go you get people waving, pointing and smiling.

My wife says they are just laughing at me and it has nothing to do with the car though ;)

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
Have you experienced all the horn blasting yet? You will be toodleing along the dual carrageway minding your own business and someone in the fast lane will draw up alongside and blast their horn at you, after you have jumped out of your skin and wondered if they are warning you about a wheel falling off you realize they are just being friendly! Please dont do that !!!!!!!!

inacoma

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »
Hi

Yes I have had this, and because the car is new to me I am a bit wary of the mechanicals until I have checked it all out and driven a fair distance.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
I never tire of all the waves, smiles cameras etc when driving my Trojan around London. One time I noticed a VW camper in my mirror driving wildly through traffic behind me. He followed for miles and eventually caught up with me at traffic lights, driver leapt out all thumbs up and camera. Best fun is going over Tower bridge when all the tourists are around
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

inacoma

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
It must be realy great when you are driving something that is realy rare.

A lot of people have a stab at guessing, Ie.

Nice Messerschmitt, Isetta, bubblecar or er!!!!!!!! my teacher/ auntie etc. had one of them.

Bob, how do you get on with something like an Inter or other rare beastie ?

I should think everyone must just say what the hell is that ?