Author Topic: Stuart's plate collection  (Read 7124 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Stuart's plate collection
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »
Well, I was asked where do I keep my number plate collection, and the answer is, not on the walls of the shed, but in boxes under my bed. And here's the proof.....

Yes folks, all those green baskets & boxes are stuffed full of the world's number plates, so many that even I don't know precisley how many I've got any more. In fact, this is quite a monumental occasion, as some of these plates haven't been seen in public for quite some years. Messerschmitt affectionardos might recognise one of the random sample of plates, whereas Dangle Fishing-Rodd has been pestering me to sell him LDG 71 for ages. He keeps on it's something to do with the fact the base plate is the same as that used on a Corgi (it actully came off an invalid carriage) but we all know the real reason why he wants it. He's just bought a Merc with the proceddes of flogging his Reliant & he's deparate to cover up its year-letter.....  ;D ;) :-*

As regards my ideal plate, I've already found it, and guess what, its on another invalid carriage! The Nelco Solocar in the old Combe Martin collection carried CYC 3C and its always stuck in my mind. Damn shame though the vehicle disapered in 2002 and I've no idea where it is now.  >:(

Out of interest, I've got several plates belived to be off varius microcars, (I found a load in Alan Hitchcock's scrap pile way back in 1997). Can anyone out there confirm the parenatge of this little lot?

GHC 678

4004 UM

338 COV  (Belived Messerschmitt)

VDN 559

NEG 430

781 GPA

707 DJO  (belived Messerschmitt)

138 CJO  (belived Heinkel)

SFA 512

GFX 131

837 CCD

5454 PW

SYL 897 (belived Heinkel)

8196 JW
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:31:39 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
Re: Stuart's plate collection
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:45:09 PM »
i stored all my old US number plates and several others on the loft for ages now. sad i never looked at them again !

Jawmedead

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 03:36:45 PM »
GHC 678 is an Eastbourne number. My Mk 1 Scootacar, now in USA, had a similar number. Could it have come off a Scootacar?

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
My USA plates are all stored in the Bath Oliver biscuit box & a large shoebox at top right of pic. My first was a 1978 Minnesota plate but what really kickstarted the US section of my colection was buying a 50 states run from eBay early last year. Half of them wasn't fit to be seen, but I've been improving on them here and there ever since with about 125 in total at the moment.

And now, a couple of shots of me in action.....

The one with the tractor (1958 Fordson Majour if anyone cares) was about two years ago. I'd been staking the plate out for about six months beforehand but the tractor was at first in the "for sale" section of this particular yard, so being honerable, I couldn't touch it. Then one day I suddenly noticed the tractor had moved across the yard into the scrap area and was being stripped for parts. An hour later I had the plate home & dry.  The second picture was taken last Friday up at Bloxham scrapyard near Banbury and the car is a 1965 Vanden Plas 4R. The plate might look horrible on first glance, but a good scrub brought it up good as new. Not long afterwards I spotted a plate-shapped bit of metal sticking up out of some very deep mud and so stopped to investigate. It turned out to be a German temporey tourist plate....  ;D

The following picture shows just one day's haul from the 2006 Beaulieu spring autojumble.

PLATES ALWAYS WANTED: ANY AGE, ANY COUNTRY, ANY CONDITION

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
GHC 678 is an Eastbourne number. My Mk 1 Scootacar, now in USA, had a similar number. Could it have come off a Scootacar?

I did wonder that. Your old Mk 1 was GHC 368, so it's not far off.....

Jawmedead

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Is a moden plate any use to you? H5 SRD. Front or Rear Plastic
I'm putting a couple of my old Microcar slides on ebay tomorrow. Peels etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 04:02:13 PM by Jawmedead »

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
 Normally I don't go much on post-1983 British numbers, but I know your H5 SRD personally, so yes, I'd be interested.....

Those micro slides, don't bother putting them on eBay, I'll buy them off you here and now. What's your price?

Jawmedead

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
Plates are free. Have emailed you about the slides.

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »
Peel slides? sounds good! Stuart ,can you do me some pics of it ,if you purchase them please?

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »
Nice collection Stuart, especially the #14 in first picture.  Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »
 Yep, that #14 (and also the #27) plate is one of the prides of the USA section....  ;D :-*

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 01:29:56 AM »
I do like them old black and silver one !!!
Does anybody wanna swap to (old)  german plates???
Ferdi
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:33:32 AM by Peelpower »

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »
I do like them old black and silver one !!! Does anybody wanna swap to (old)  german plates???

I'm interested Ferdi, I've only got two German plates, an old DDR and a two-year-old Tempoury Tourist which is not in very good condition.  I've got quite a pile of spare British ones to swap. Black & White, Yellow, you name it, I've got it......  ;)

Anyone out there able to lay their hands on a current-issue Mississippi plate? The one with the lighthouse. I'm after one of those as well. There's two on eBay at the moment looking to make big bucks but they're dodgy listings becuse offically you can't sell plates less than 3 years old on eBay thus I'm staying clear  :(

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »
Hi Stuart i'll go having a look whats stored in my shed, and let you know what i can offer.
Ferdi

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Hi Stuart, here are the number plates. No.1 is from swizerland, No.2 is aDanmark trader plate, 3,4 and 5 are from various places in Germany. If you are interested let me know.
Ferdi