Author Topic: MACCHINETTE - Italian Microcar Exhibition  (Read 29935 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: MACCHINETTE - Italian Microcar Exhibition
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
Oh I say! The view from the front is better! Don, does Claude remember what the wings were made of, steel, aluminium, fibreglass ect?

Avolette

• Occasional
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »
Bob, wings were in steel and on the "nos" on the Inter, on the right side, it was a big 12 written in white (or black, i don't remember). Wings were not exactly the same. I look fot the photos and i send it to you. Sadly this Inter is not in his original state anymore because it has been restored. And the pictures show it restored.
Avolette, Messerschmitt, Solyto, Autobianchi Eden-Roc, ROLUX 125

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 02:17:40 PM »
I look forward to seeing the pictures Don.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »
Jim, where did you find these pictures of the Inter ? I could not find on the website.

Francy sent me photos of all the cars in the exhibit a few weeks ago.
since the Inter was being discussed I thought it would be better to see a photo of it rather than refer to the video!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »
Jim. I'm very glad you have shared these pics with us, its certainly sparked some interest with Inter lovers. Don, I have just found the picture you sent, it was on my other email. I am so sorry to have to go back on our little deal but I'm certain this car didnt come out of the factory like this. No inters were produced with two tone paint, only red, blue, green or cream and this one has had it's body seam that runs the full length of the car filled in with body filler , the aluminum trim discarded and had the chequered tape stuck over the top, Even if all this was done after your father owned it there is something else that makes no sense, this one is a later car with the lower headlight and the other blue car is an early car with high headlight, why would they make one car with wings early in production and then one other with different shaped wings much latter in production, none of this makes any sense. On the other hand, nothing about the Inter production seams to make much sence so who know? You also mentioned that it had a big number twelve on the side, all this indicates to me that it was modified by a latter owner and perhaps used for competition. Thank you very much for the photo Don, both the modified cars are great but I have changed my mind again and remain the doubting Thomas!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:05:52 PM by bobbybubble »

Avolette

• Occasional
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 05:07:44 PM »
Bob, i told you it was restored ! So that is the reason why it is in two tones now. Originally, my father bought it when it was totally  sand creamy colored. It was in internal dutty in an aeronautic factory (the previous owner told it to my father), like others near my home. So perhaps the 12 number was an identification for the car in the base (#1)
If you don't want to believe it is an original factory Inter, that's your problem ! Who can really absolutely be sure of what is original and what is a bodge ? Nobody, even people who owned many different Inter. Like Socrate said " all i know is  that i know nothing". To be too much affirmative is dangerous if you want my advice. Did you see documents saying : Inters are produced in red, blue , cream etc....And if yes, are you sure they had time to do what the advertisement said ? i just saw one red Inter :It was the Chaufailles museum exemplary, sold in Germany. is it a reason to conclude it was produced in red ?
With this kind of affirmation, my Avolette cockpit, which is the only one known until now with this shape, is not an original. But when you see the work done, it is almost impossible it has been done by a man in his garage to modify his car....to complicated to do with tools available in a home.
Near the little city where i live, a friend met in the 80's an old guy which gave financial help for the Inter production : he did not save anything except a factory photo, showing 10 Inters side by side in front of the Villeurbanne factory. I am not sure i have the lust to share it, if it is to hear it is certainly a fake....
I am sorry with my pig character, but i hate affirmations, especially on obscure history of little french microcar production during the 50's. I would never permit myself to be absolutely sure of something on a little production of cars.

#1 : in 1986, in "Les Mureaux", there was a factory of the N.A.S.A, depending on the S.N.C.A.N. One day, my father spoke with a guy who said : "what, little cars with three wheels, i think i know someone working in the nasa who knows that ! Let me time." Some weeks later, the guy came to see my father with a box, containing an Ydral 175 gyrostarter with reverse. The guy said "i'm sorry, the factory had three remaining cars like you said but it was destructed month ago. They just kept this motor".

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 05:52:08 PM »
With all these Inter details & history snippits floating around, how about someone setting it all down in writing in the form of a feature article for RUM Car News????:-*

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »
Sorry Don, I misunderstood your last post, So, I think I have it right now, this photo was taken at a latter date after your father had sold the car to someone else, and it was subsiquently 'restored'. Got it! That is an interesting story about the cars being used on the air base ,it also explains the number on the side, I have heard this account before from Gilles Perez, it makes me want to break down and cry to know that Inters were broken up as late as the 1980's! Incidently it was Gilles who told me about the Colours, being the man with the Inter register I would naturaly beleive what he said, you have to admit that they usually are these colours? I'm sorry If I sounded dogmatic and that you had to quote Socraties to me, its just pure passion for Inters that drives me. Never the less I should show more respect for a native of the country of the cars origin. Im keen to learn as much as I can about Inters but I cant help having opinions about what is myth and what is fact, as you say its usually impossible to prove either way. You mentioned the factory photograph, I dont expect you to share such a precious document but can I ask, do any of the ten cars in the photo have wings or are they all the usual type? Lets stay friends Don, as Socraties once said "Life's too short"

Avolette

• Occasional
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »
That's right, the guy made a restoration, but not in an authentic way : aluminium replaced with a "taxi from new york" paint on the sides, the two tones etc....I'll try to find a photo before this restoration, with some rust, you'll love it !
It is normal that Gilles told you this story, he heard that by .....my father ! I remember when i was younger seeing Gilles coming to our house for the first time and seing for the first time "in live" an Inter i think.
You know Bob, i don't deserve more respect than anyone else, i just wanted us not to be too affirmative : my post had not the ambition to tell you something bad, in contrary. I am a 28 years old simple guy enjoying to learn and to drive old vehicles. I have the luck to share this passion with my father, who is, at 69, one of the more experienced person i know, with a big knowledge of cars in general, and microcars in particular. Still friends i assure you, i made a writting error if you understood the contrary. It is so hard to be understood with another language than mine.
 All Inters in the photos had "normal" wings, but two had special publicity paint. When i'll see him, i will ask if i can show the photo : i respect my father's stuff, because it happened that he shared things in the past and the persons took glory of what my father gave them. Time make suspicious !
Life is too short, it's right !

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »
Is this familiar?

inacoma

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
Very INTEResting.

mivalino

• Just Starting
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 09:43:11 PM »
ok here i am , my name is Francesco De Cunto aka Francy.

and "MACCHINETTE" is a creature of mine ,basically it is part of my collection with a little(big) help from my friends

a special thanks to Geroge Blau which involved me in the 1998 edition of story treffen, to Jim my preferred victim for thoughts,talking,advice and any kind of info about cars and what else related to microcars and not only.
 i have seen two questions microcar related on this forum .
first the Inter yes is the one sold in south of france about 3 years ago and yes it was a one owner car and it is no late or early car ,it is a non folding model with his original wings , it is overspryed in the same color and the only defect i can see is the shortened trim and the messerschmitt locks. it run an drive well after a rebuilt chain drive sprocket and new elastics.
the red and yellow is a moto scoot (it is the make) moto kar (it is the name ) built in 1938 powered with a Lauson 2,5 hp engine with a kiekafer centrifugal clutch belt driven and it is really cute and micro .
about the pictures of the cars . the exhibit is equipped with a book catalogue printed in 5000 copies sadly right now just in italian and what Jim posted is the material i sent him when the photo job was in progress ,if somebody want it i can ship the catalogue ,it is priced 35 euros but i can have a few copies for 30 during the show .
 between the others isocarro fram king mopetta janus spatz and a huge selection of isetta including a 3 wheelr prototipe of late 1956

ciao
Francy

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:02:38 PM »
Oh, Jim, now you'v really done it! Actually I have seen this before but cant remember where. Its interesting to see that even back then microcars were used for advertising just like the Smart car today! Donald you are right, none of us can really say with certainty much at all about the goings on of a small car production concern such as this one, there appears to be very little that survives in writing , just a few documents about the gyrostarter and the Ydral law suit with Westinghouse ect. As I said before, there are subtle differences with all the Inters I have seen both in the metal and pictures, having said that I have only actually seen five Inters in the metal but thats proberbly more than most people. My theory about the colours is that they used just the three colours, sandy cream colour like my first Inter which was in original paint, the turquoise blue and the olive green, as far as the red and dark blue like Gilles car is concerned I have some doubts about. What do you think Don? Your father Claude is very respected amoung those interested in french cars, I first heard about him from Jean Delclos i think, I did write some letters to him years ago when restoring my first car asking for help but got no reply but this is a problem with englishmen we assume everyone speaks english! Please give him my regards. I am hoping one day that there will be a grand Inter owners gathering In France where we can all examine each others cars. Who knows, it could be sooner than we think. Cheers, Bob

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »
Hello Francy, welcome to our forum! Your Inter is facinating and your collection is magnificent! I would be very interested to know what the chassis number of your Inter is . Do you have any pictures of it before it was restored? Congratulations on the exibition. Best wishes, Bob
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:11:29 PM by bobbybubble »

mivalino

• Just Starting
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 10:14:06 PM »
sorry for my ignorance but if you tell me where the chassis number is saturday when i go to the show i will check.
ciao
Francy