Author Topic: FLIPPERS  (Read 31203 times)

robadob

FLIPPERS
« on: December 06, 2005, 07:22:39 PM »
HI. Has anyone out there come across any Flipper microcars made by SEAB in France ? I know of Jean's Flipper I, my Flipper 2 and Flipper Donky. There is also a Flipper 2 in a dealers hands, but is there any more out there ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 11:05:45 PM by robadob »

darrg

Re: FLIPPERS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 10:12:07 AM »
If all goes according to plan, there should now follow a picture of rob's Flipper ...

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 11:05:26 PM »
Thats a great flipper. Are there any more nice french cars out there ,I especially love the 1950s ones. Here is a picture of my inter 1954 partly restored.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
HI. Has anyone out there come across any Flipper microcars made by SEAB in France ? I know of Jean's Flipper I, my Flipper 2 and Flipper Donky. There is also a Flipper 2 in a dealers hands, but is there any more out there ?

My Flipper has just arrived from France.  So how many in England now?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »
If all Flipper owners put their vehicles on the Register of Unusual Microcars (or any other unusual Microcars for that matter) we would be able to give  out those sort of statistics - sadly many  people for reasons known only to themselves don't register their cars with us. There are of course other advantages, we can introduce owners of like cars to each other (in the strictest of confidence of course), we can help in getting vehicles registered with the DVLA, etc., etc.  So come on 'Iisetta Owner' get your car in the system.   Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »
I beat you to it this time Jean and it is now registered with Alastair.
I need to have a look at your Flipper (or one nearer to Suffolk?) at some point
There is a cable attached to the steering column which seems to operate the 2nd gear.
There is nothing attached to the end of my cable but a pair of Mole grips does the trick and gets the second gear clutch to engage once the car is in full swing.
I would like to find out what is on the end of this cable on other Flippers? - photo perhaps.
I thought the two gears (using two centrifugal clutches) were supposed to be automatic - perhaps my car has been modified.

All the best.
Barry

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:01 PM »
Hello Barry,
Here is a picture of Jean's Flipper 1 along with my Flipper 11 and Donky in my garden back in 2005 when I owned my two. I managed to get Jean's car running for the School House Farm open day.
A far as I know there are now only two Flipper 1's, two Flipper 2's and just the one Donky in UK.
Jean's Flipper is automatic like the other two in the picture, as far as I can remember a cable went to a lever on the steering column that changes forward motion to reverse.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:51:18 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
Hello Barry,
Here is a picture of Jean's Flipper 1 along with my Flipper 11 and Donky in my garden back in 2005 when I managed to get Jean's car running for the School House Farm open day.
A far as I know there are now only two Flipper 1's, two Flipper 2's and just the one Donky in UK.
Jean's Flipper is automatic like the other two in the picture, as far as I can remember a cable went to a lever on the steering column that changes forward motion to reverse.

Great to see all three together Rob.  I dont think your ones are going to help me much as I think they use Motobecane engines.  I will have to try to have a look at Jeans to see how the gear change is assisted on the Sachs engine.  Its good to know that there are some more of these in England.  I was surprised at its speed around the garden.  I wonder if it is going to be possible to get it registered in England?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
Martin's, and then my, new Flipper II attracted little interest when marketed and ended up heading to Dorset to be turned into an electric powered vehicle. Seemed a sad way to treat a minter but then if no one wants to buy what had to be the best example what do you do? If it ever did get converted I do not know. Someone told me it was re united with the Donkey which was originally with the importer as well. I hope so as Martin was a nit not to buy all the stuff in the first place! He then prevaricated so I could not buy the Donkey which was gone by the time I had the info. The Donkey would have suited my purpose much better, indeed it would Martin's. Hey Ho, you cannot have everything though I do seem to act a bit like a black hole with cars accreting even as I try and get less. Another 6 last week for 2 out.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »
Hello Barry,
Here is a picture of Jean's Flipper 1 along with my Flipper 11 and Donky in my garden back in 2005 when I owned my two. I managed to get Jean's car running for the School House Farm open day.

The cable on the steering column definatel does not select reverse - It might on the flipper II.  On my Flipper I, you just rotate the whole engine including the front wheels so they point backwards.  Interesting when you can't quite remember where the wheels are pointing but a good turning circle. 
Pulling the end of the cable seems to urge the second gear clutch into action - sort of semi automatic.  I was hoping to see what the set-up is like on a Flipper I 'with a lever' before taking the primary drive off for further investgation.  I wondered if the lever was used for adjustment to determine when the second clutch came in, rather than a specific gear shift.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
Martin's, and then my, new Flipper II attracted little interest when marketed and ended up heading to Dorset to be turned into an electric powered vehicle. Seemed a sad way to treat a minter but then if no one wants to buy what had to be the best example what do you do? If it ever did get converted I do not know. Someone told me it was re united with the Donkey which was originally with the importer as well. I hope so as Martin was a nit not to buy all the stuff in the first place! He then prevaricated so I could not buy the Donkey which was gone by the time I had the info. The Donkey would have suited my purpose much better, indeed it would Martin's. Hey Ho, you cannot have everything though I do seem to act a bit like a black hole with cars accreting even as I try and get less. Another 6 last week for 2 out.
Forgive me Al but I don't know all the names.  Where does Martin fit?  Any pictures of your Flipper II would be interesting, I am at vividimage@btconnect.com 
No further news on the one that was to become electric?  Who is the importer?  Where does that leave all the cars now - It seems that there is one at Jeans for sure.
It looks fairly easy to fit an 'electric assist' motor to the old peddle cog on the back wheel - this would be interesting.  Having taken it up to 40km/h, Im not sure that I would want to go much above 30mph though.
I can understand why people don't show much interest in these Sans Permis cars but once you see what they were trying to achieve they do have a certain attraction.
My cars and bikes and scooters are just for my personal enjoyment so I don't worry too much about resale value.  I hardly ever sell anything.  As an expert, what values do you put on the Flippers that you have seen bought and sold?
All information on Flippers from any source would be interesting to me.   

All the best
Barry

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
Have you Googled "SEAB Flipper"? I found this years ago.  http://www.microcarfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=26

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »
Thanks Rob
I know of Denis at Microcarfan.  Always a good source, I found some information about my Mincat and Lawil (Willam) on his site.
Your Flippers have long gone now?  What have you got instead?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
 I wonder if it is going to be possible to get it registered in England?
[/quote]
Barry if you make contact with Mike Shepherd (mike_microman@yahoo.com) who now deals with the DVLA on all unusual microcar matters for the Register I am sure you should be able to get it registered in England on an age related plate. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 11:20:48 PM »
Thanks Rob
Your Flippers have long gone now?  What have you got instead?

All I have now is the Powabike but that is starting to play up, something going wrong in the wiring circuit. With it being an electric bike I suppose it must be!!!

Just had a tot-up of the threewheelers I've had since my first in 1964ish. Not so many as some folk have nowadays though.

Bond Mk C. Reliant Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 6, Messerschmitt K200, Peel P50, Peel P50, AC Petite, Progress Tourette, Isetta 300, Lambretta Truck. Frisky Familly 3, Frisky Sport, Goggomobile 300, Scootacar Mk 1, Scootacar Mk 2, Flipper 11, Flipper Donky.

Below is the first Peel P50 I bought for £10. YES A TEN POUND NOTE.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:24:27 PM by Rob Dobie »