Author Topic: FLIPPERS  (Read 30945 times)

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
Re: FLIPPERS
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:37 PM »
Post a bigger photo of it, I am always interested....

Only too happy to oblige!  It's this one:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/by_design/0911_1980_kv_mini_1_design_analysis/index.html

http://clunkbucket.com/victoire-de-citrons/

If you can get past the introductory sound track, here's a test-drive video put together by the guy who runs the Great Pacific Northwest Microcar/Minicar Extravaganza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP7CJ3uNVBI
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
Hello Rob, thank you for your reply. Yes, you are right. It is D 506

Regards

Ferdi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
I understand why your Flipper was 'as new' now Al.  I was in the Isetta Owners Club in the late 1970's and found all of the old magazines (booklets) the other day.
So the guy in Bedford never had a Flipper I on the road in the UK?  If there was ever a registered one it would help me register my one - perhaps without seat belts, or could it fall in a different taxation class?
The Fliiper hand book would be usefull if you don't need it, Stuart Cyphus let me have a Flipper sales pamflet for two bob.

I agree that it is great to own any of these small cars.  Great satisfaction to get them working and run up and down the road.  It is still my Isetta that I really want to get back on the road properly.  My old one was still a usable vehicle in trafic and behaved on the road quite well, we shall see.  I had a Heinkel and it was awfull - no power just revs, suicide gears and certain death brakes.  

No I do not think he had a Flipper I. I worked out how to get a registration at the time but the rules have changed again since. It is unfortunate the Historic catorgary is not rolling on as it would make this a lot simpler. As a new car I saw it as a collectors item though. I am keeping the handbook but I could make a copy/scan of it for those in need.

Heinkels actually out perform Isettas. You must have had a bad one. Then again each to his style of motoring.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »
Thanks Rob
I know of Denis at Microcarfan.  Always a good source, I found some information about my Mincat and Lawil (Willam) on his site.
Your Flippers have long gone now?  What have you got instead?

I note you have and there was talk of Lawil (Willam). I have one of the Crayford versions that were made. I was told that only four are about. On the basis this is registered and British it should be possible to refer DVLA to the type when attempting to register a Lawil since in some ways it is the same thing. It might avoid silly nonesense because it does not fit in the proscribed pigeon holes that they attempt to put vehicles into. It would avoid the dreaded Q plate for instance.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
This is really good news Al.  I have a road test of the Crayford car.  I do need to find out when my car was made so that I can get an age related plate, it looks like about 1979 / 1980. The problem is that the chassis plate is not normal 'Lawil' in design, the numbers do match the body stampings though.  It may have been one of the last cars off of the production line or made from spares.  I was hoping to find a chassis plate from a real Lawil (not a Willam) so that I could check chassis numbers and see if an age can be determined.  From all of the pictures of chassis plates I have managed to collect, I reckon your Jeep will have a different series of numbers to my hard-top Berlina.  A picture of your chassis plate would be good.
A copy of your V5 would help me with the fine details and taxation class  for the DVLA and proove to them that it is a known type of car.

I hope we can talk further on this one because my Lawil is a usable car and it would be great to get it on the road.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:49:54 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »
Post a bigger photo of it, I am always interested....

Only too happy to oblige!  It's this one:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/by_design/0911_1980_kv_mini_1_design_analysis/index.html

http://clunkbucket.com/victoire-de-citrons/

If you can get past the introductory sound track, here's a test-drive video put together by the guy who runs the Great Pacific Northwest Microcar/Minicar Extravaganza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP7CJ3uNVBI

Thanks for the links Michael. A truely fantasic car and so good that you have the 125cc engine although I can see that spares are going to be an issue if anything does go wrong.  I am surprised they made 2,000 of these, there must be some more about somewhere.
I will definately look out for one for my small collection, I had not seen one of these before.  The drive to the back wheels is a great design.  Who else would have put that into production?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:29 AM »
A picture of your chassis plate would be good.
A copy of your V5 would help me with the fine details and taxation class  for the DVLA and proove to them that it is a known type of car.

I hope we can talk further on this one because my Lawil is a usable car and it would be great to get it on the road.

Slight prob. THe car is stored 200 miles away at the moment and I await the V5. But yes in principle I can do that, but not immedately.

Was the Flipper I a flop? Cleared out as a Flip flop for the II. A donkey Flip flop is rare and the belts did not keep the hooves in hence MOT probs. Why be a Flipper flopper with one Flipper when you can Flip a flopped Flipper flopper too! Thanks to TicTac there. This could be the start of considerable silliness.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
If you could put it on your 'to-do' list that wouldl be fine.
The rest - I think I know what you mean and hope the men in white coats are not part of Rumcars for your sake.
Sent some scans by email and hope you received them, if not, give me a good email address.

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
Interestingly there is a Crayford William lawil for sale through the infamous dezer collection ( of $15k poo brown reliant Robin fame) in the good ol' us of a ;

http://www.dezercollection.com/1971-crayford-william-lawil-jeep--c-285.htm

Interestingly they also have a Trojan mini motor for sale at $20k and yet one went on uk eBay for £445 a matter of weeks ago.
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Interesting.  It looks as good as new (apart from years of wear and a ripped seat).
I suppose they have high overheads and full dealer facilities to cover?
My Lawil is a Berlina so is probably not as sought after?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »
$4,000 doesnt sound too bad for these people.  $20,000 is a joke for a minimotor though, mind you so is £450!  They change hands for a whole lot less in cyclemotor circles.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
I almost think $4,000 is a typo. These Crayford versions have changed hands for £5-6k before now. Maybe the is a realisation that they are associated to Lawil and thus not quite as desirable a rarity as was thought by the collectors. That said the Crayford is different. Or the reverse, and the Geezer Collection have valued it as a Lawil not a Crayford being ignorant of the difference, which will be amusing.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
I assume you mean that there are a few real Crayford cars that were imported to England.  All the other 250cc cars are Lawil?  (Willam being 125cc and mainly in France?). Or, is there a special difference with the Crayford cars - please let me know.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »
am i the only one that has no idea what a donkey is or am i just being an ass , and was it so called by the factory or the owners ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:28 AM »