Author Topic: Croydon Museum  (Read 4204 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Croydon Museum
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »
Had to go to Croydon on Wed 19th. I knew they have a red Trojan 200 in Croydon Museum, but they had been closed for a while for re=vamping, and on wednesday I had a couple of spare hours. The Trojan is nicely displayed and in reasonably good nick, but with small bits like indicator lenses missing. There is a touch screen monitor with photos facts and a commentary from an ex=employee. They also have a scale model of a Trojan Mini-Motor, used by Trojan salesmen, the motor is designed to be fixed to the frame of a bicycle, behind the rear wheel. There is also an unexploded WW2 bomb which was dropped on the Aerodrome/Purley Way area where the Trojan/Lambretta factory was. This bomb was probably dropped by a Heinkel He 111 on the area where just 20 years later their Kabine would be made!
The museum are obviously proud of their Trojan, and there are pix of it on their website, leaflets and posters. It's a good little museum, and FREE.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jawmedead

Re: Croydon Museum
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:20:32 PM »
I hope the bomb has been defused!

inacoma

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
I believe you can look at it through opaque glass :D

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »
 Cor, dig that number plate on the Museum's Trojan.  From here I'd say they're Chas Wright-type plates......   ;D  8)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
Thanks for adding the links, John
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face