Author Topic: Modern Microcar info  (Read 5389 times)

inacoma

Modern Microcar info
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »
Hi

A friend of mine, also called Jon who is coming with me to the rally at the weekend, is thinking about buying a modern microcar.

he wants to use it every day to get back and forth to work etc. about 10 miles each way in fairly built up traffic, so no speed problems.

At the mo. he uses a scooter, his budget is only £1,000 -£1,500 tops as he needs economy but would appreciate the cover a microcar would give.

I have been looking at the older Microcars, AIXAM, Perodua

Has anyone any advice, are they O.K. what to avoid etc ?

Thanks

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Modern Microcar info
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:20:14 PM »
I have heard that when you buy an Axaim/ligier/microcar of the older variety which would fit your friends price bracket they can tend to become a money pit, parts are expensive and its the age when you will need plenty of them. Also the fuel consumtion is not all its cracked up to be. What about a Reliant? 

Smart51

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »
What about a citroen AX?  It is well within his price bracket and about the most frugal car you can buy for the money.  I averaged 54 MPG over 4 years of commuting from the 1.0i.  The 1.4 version of the diesel boasted massive MPG.  Over 70 if memory serves.  Just don't expect modern safety or lack of aquaplaning.

inacoma

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the info.

I hadn't thought of the Citroen. I supose I was thinking more microcar, he has had a mini before and that had the fun and style.

Any other sugestions would be appreciated.

If anyone has a cheap old reliant that might fit, but i don't think he would like a Robin or modern one.

Thanks

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
How about a fiat 126? Fun and micro'ish. They come up fairly regularly but wont forever because the 500 owners buy them for the engines. Fiat Cinquecento? 2CV? Suzuki Alto?  Just had another idea, my friend and neibour has a nice little NSU Prinz 600 from the late sixties that he is going to offer for sale when he gets it out in a couple of weeks. It was last on the road two years ago, he bought my wifes berkerly and lost interest in the NSU but as I remember , there was nothing wrong with it. I dont know exactly what he will want for it but it will be a few hundred and well within budget. According to the Rumcar rules that Moses bought down from Sinai its a microcar and a classic one at that! Can get pix if he is interested.

Jawmedead

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »
Helo John, How about a Nissan Micra 1.0. I have seen the bubblecar shaped ones going for less than £1000. Jean has one along with thousands of other people. When have you seen one broken down? Rob.

inacoma

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
Hi

Some good info here

Bob P. Yes please re the NSU, my friend isn't very mechanicaly minded, but if it realy is just recomissioning and a few things for the M.O.T. it would fit in with my idea of micro and get him more into the classics as well. Also the Fiat is a good idea and I have owned one of these so know a bit.

Bob D Micra is probably a good idea if he decides to go for a modern microish car.

Thanks agai everyone.

John

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »
How about a fiat 126? Fun and micro'ish. They come up fairly regularly but wont forever because the 500 owners buy them for the engines.

Only the 600/650 aircooled '72- '88 is any good to a 500 owner. After that you have the twin cylinder BIS 126 702cc water cooled unit with a hatchback body.

Plenty of tidy low mileage examples still around....
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »
How about an Suzuki SC100 Whizzkid. They do come up occasionaly, though like many Japanese cars they rust like buckets.