Author Topic: 1900 1901 CRESTMOBILE VETERAN CAR  (Read 6555 times)

inacoma

1900 1901 CRESTMOBILE VETERAN CAR
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: 1900 1901 CRESTMOBILE VETERAN CAR
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »
Absolutly gorgeous. John, the nicest thing I have seen on the forum for a long while , I love the way the de dion engine is mounted right up front, maybe this idea would solve your cooling problem John? According to the Mosaic microlaw cast in stone this isnt a microcar because it was made before 1940'somthing or other! Codswhallop! It has microcar written all over it! Just wish I had a spare £35k under the bed. Incidently, what do you think is the cause of your overheating?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:03:00 PM by bobbybubble »

inacoma

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »
Hi Bob

I know you like me, but as a friend you are allowed to just call me john.

XX

inacoma

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »
Hi

Off to work now.

Will post details later

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »
Oooopppsss!! I have placed some punctuation in the appropriate place to stop tongues wagging, Im sure someone thinks your gorgeous John but its not me! Im well known in the antiques trade for being the only one who DOES'NT bat for the other team!! It was funny though wasnt it!

inacoma

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »
Hello Bob, Darling ;), and everyone else as well.

No probs.

Have the heinkel in my local small motorcycle repairers.

When going through the workshop manual and the paperwork that covers the fitting of the Honda Helix engine I have found an engineers report that mentions water in the engine, so it looks like the head gasket was gone all the time, but because I have only done a maximum of about 6 miles then stopped for a bit and come back it was not quite enough to cook up the engine.

Mechanic has confirmed that the gasket is leaking internaly, and has come up with reccomendations to rectify, these are very similar to the advice that I got at the rally.

Remove radiator that is just inside the vent on the nearside rear of the car. This is sideways on to the air flow and with fan on suck is not doing enough.
Fit air intake scoop under the car to pick up cold air at car speed to feed into the engine compartment.
refit a new radiator aprox double the size of the one there already.
Duct cold air intake from under car to blow onto radiator.
Fit larger more powerful fan, ie renault laguna as this is aprox size, with fan on blow to force air through the radiator.
All of this can be done without any lasting changes to the car, so i could always revert to the original engine, that Mike sheppard has kindly offered to rebuild if required.

Any comments or improved sugestions appreciated ?

At the present I think I will go for the modification of the honda engine set-up as I think it will be the quickest and cheapest option short term, I havn't got an exhaust, air filter and not sure if there are any other bits missing from the Heinkel unit I have. Also it is local so should be easier.

At least I have the original kit so I could get that checked out and ready to fit later if I have the funds.

Thanks everyone for advice and offers of help

John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:49:28 PM by inacoma »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, hope to meet up some time. I had not run my Trojan since before Christmas (insurance expired while I save up for recording equipment) but a few days ago it fired up first time, once some petrol had drawn through
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

inacoma

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
Hi Marcus

Would like to meet up some time, your car looks great

Hope to have mine back next week.

john

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »
That would be great, John. I live in S E London, but I do sometimes go to the south coast, especially as my Dad has now retired to Lymington. I saw my nephew last week, he is at college in Bournemouth and drives a 70s metallic blue VW Bettle. I have told him to look out for your Trojan, so if you see a tall lad with an affro waving enthusiastically.....!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face