Author Topic: Byards Leap Rally.  (Read 4158 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Byards Leap Rally.
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:38:11 AM »
Well come on then, tell us what happen? Or are you all still thawing out?

Jawmedead

Re: Byards Leap Rally.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »
S'no joke. Freeze a jolly good fellow!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:15:50 PM »
Anymore 'Snowy Micro' photos?

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »
Hi
    You may have had snow down south but the rally site it was sunny all day - The first sight of snow was on the outskits of london.

There was a lack of cars there (because of the weather forcast) but I enjoyed myself and Mike and Paula were genourous hosts, I expect next year that there will be twice as many cars there.

I drove there with stewart and my car presented no problems, apart for me breaking off the door handle on Sunday morning which meant I could not get into my car (for about an hour) - but with the help of John and his pair of pliers we managed to gain entry - Thank's John, I have a new door handle in my stock of spares so I shall fit it onto the car this week.

I did almost 400 miles in my goggo, and it ran like a dream, averaging 45 - 50 miles on the Motorway, it was struggling on the way there and I had to change down to third gear on a couple of hills because of the extra passenger (Stewart) but on the way home it sailed by in top gear.

The Museum is certainly worth a visit, and I will be going to their next rally.

Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
Im glad you enjoyed it and the weather was ok Mike, I was worried for you all on sunday because here we awoke to an absolute blizard! Didnt stop snowing till mid afternoon.I hope I'm in a position to join you next year.

inacoma

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:23:40 PM »
Hi Everyone

It was a great rally, plenty to do and see, good value for money and like Mike says the museum is well worth a visit if you are ever going anywhere near.

As far as the weather goes, I have never been so cold in my life, it was so cold the camping gas took 3/4 of an hour to boil the kettle as it was so near to frozen :o.

I was in a tent with one of my mates, at night I had on 5 layers of clothes, 2 crochetted blankets and a sleeping bag and was still frozen.

Unfortunately the run out found my Heinkel overheating after about 15 miles, so am sorting that out now.

Everyone there was fantastic, with help and advice, cups of hot tea etc. and I picked up spare parts for the car from Mike and Mark from the H/T owners club.

If you havn't been on a rally, I would reccomend it to anyone, there were all sorts of cars, including modern micros, Subaru, Fiat 126, reliants, people without their micro, but there anyway and a good selection of 50's and 60's bubbles and micros.

Saw Stuarts Mini Comtess and collection of Acoma info and brochures on the way back as well.

As soon as poss. I will get to the next rally.

Thanks to everyone who helped make it a great weekend. ;D

John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:23:58 AM by inacoma »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:09:27 AM »
Hi John. Glad you enjoyed it. If you are that enthusiastic after being frozen to your sleeping bag it can only means one thing, you definatly have the bug and like the rest of us there is no hope for you now!

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:45:26 PM »
Hi
   John coming from sunny Bournmouth must have felt the cold - I did not feel that cold on Saterday I did not have my coat on, that said me and Stewart were in a caravan, and with a cup of coffee brewing on my portable gas stove, and heating the caravan, therefore I was not cold at night.

John's Heinkel overheated on the run and he pulled into a garage to leave it there for the day, and the garage owner said you are interested in three whelers I have got one in the back come and see it it was a .................................. I shall let Stewart talk about it.
                                                                                                                                                                   Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:00:12 PM »
Dont leave me hanging over a presipise like that Mike! It was a what? Electric Trident? Brutch Rollera? Kaiser? Mk3 Scootacar? I'm confused, if you drove your Goggo to the rally how did you come to be in a caravan?

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:26:09 PM »
I reckon its a conveyance if Stuart's going to tell us about it. Mike, I have visions of your Goggo handle breaking off due to the cold weather.  ;)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »
 Yes, it was indeed a conveyance.   ;D  A 1964 AC Acedes which I had known about for the past three years or so, but not where it currently was.  It was tough luck for John to brake down as he did, but what a coincidance to do it right out the garage which had the AC out the back. A few bit-parts of a mile or so earlier, & it would have haponned outside the other garage just down the road, which of course didn't have an AC in it, and we would have missed one of the highlights of the rally.  (What do you mean; "Oh no it wasn't"?   :'(

For those iterested, the AC is for sale. It's a genuine private-market example, seems solid enough & has a V5 we belive, but the number plate on it was sold off back in 1988. I've got the bloke's details, contact me......

Elsewhere, as everyone says, the museum was well worth the four hour trek up there. Me & Mike didn't notice the cold becuse we were in one of their caravans in the woods. Mike just buried himself into the depths of his sleeping bag whilst I had my secret wepon against the cold.... a green baize cloth off an old snooker table!  Well, it does the job....  ;D

A view from the Saturday roadrun. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:20:58 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
With coincidences like this Stuart, maybe you should buy a lottery ticket!  : ;D

inacoma

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »
Hi

When the Garage owner said are you into little old cars then, I thought my luck had changed, and I was going to be offered something else.

The AC was interesting, but the electric peel would have been slightly better. ;)

When I caught up with Stuart and Mike at the next village they were off like a shot to have a look.

John