Author Topic: Whats all this then?  (Read 3234 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Whats all this then?
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »
What, run out of petrol? Who's this good looking guy and more importantly, whats he sitting in?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 07:23:45 PM by bobbybubble »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
Re: Whats all this then?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
Hi
    I recognise that guy he's the one playing at cowboy's and injuns at the Storey rally, of course the car is a rare battery version of the BMA Hazelcar sold at th the brooks auction house in 1998 and them passed on (through varios hands to thBruce Weiner collection. At least six cars were buils and the original desiger who now lives in Canada has a gas powered version.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:22:01 PM »
As I remember, it was you Mike that was the cowboy, I was just looking for Injuns, Ydral injuns!  Oh, so it hasnt run out of petrol then Mike, it just wants charging! I remember debating as to wheather this one should have doors, there were no hinge holes or signs of ever been fitted with them. I also recal it using some austin seven parts.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:24:39 PM by bobbybubble »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »
Hi Bob
          The Brooks catalogue stated that it was built by the Battery Manufacturing Association (BMA) of Hove Sussex from the years 1954 - 1957 although none were built later than 1955, a two seater electric car the BMA feturered open bobywork fabricated in lightweight aluminiun-alloy panels and was powererd by a 1.5hp motor driving the rear wheels by means of enclosed duplex chains. top speed was 18 - 20 mph and the claimed range was 50 - 60 miles per charge. Only six elecrtricity powered BMA were made - a seventh used a ford engine - of which three are known to survive.
  The one you are sitting in covered in excess 36,000 miles while in the hands of its fisrt lady owner, a scoolteacher in Wales, your example was in a museum for many years before being offed for sale at the Auction.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:45:19 PM »
Thanks Mike, I had forgotten all that!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
When you first put up the pic I nearly replied that it was a BMA Hazelcar, but then I doubted myself, and decided not to post in case I made a fool of myself!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »
Its not a crime to get something wrong Marcus, I have made a career of it! And in this case you would have been right!