Author Topic: Goggomobil Repair Manual  (Read 10872 times)

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
Goggomobil Repair Manual
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »
Hello everyone,

A few people have suggested a web site (http://bubblecars.com/literature.htm) to obtain Goggomobil literature, specifically a shop manual for a T-400 (limousine). I have e-mailed Alan Hitchcock (of bubblecars.com) a few times to inquire about the availability of a manual on his site and shipping costs to the USA. Unfortuately he has not returned any of my e-mails. Has anyone dealt with this person before? Is he normally reliable?

I am looking for a manual that details information on gas/oil mix, spark plug gap setting, ignition points gap setting, and other tune-up related information. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to obtain this information if I can't get a manual from the bubblecars.com source?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: Goggomobil Repair Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 01:28:31 AM »
G'Day Ian,

How ever did you find that? I have been looking on eBay Motors (UK) and must have looked over this one. Great detective work! I bought the manual.

Thanks, Ian.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
Alan's site doesn't update on a regular basis, so the item is probably no longer for sale. I have seen 2 Goggomobile manuals come up in Australia last month, both genuine and in English, though one sold for £160 so I guess you have competition.

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
Bump in the road
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:47:41 AM »
I did purchase the Goggomobil Shop manual that was on eBay.co.uk. The manual does have much information but does not go into detail about the electric transmission and how the unit works. Anyone know of a source where this information could be had?

Carl

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:09:22 AM »
Hi Carl
          One of my goggo's is pre-select and my manual contains enough information for me to rectify any faults with it - what do you need to know - the parts book has all of the information on the parts and should be used in conjuction with the workshop manual - have you got all af the parts - I cannot see your problem.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Mike

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for reply.

I am trying to get a better understanding of how the electric shift transmission works in general. My shop manual does give some explanation on disassembly but not too much information on how to make the transmission function (similar to an owner's manual). Pictures are blotchy and very difficult to see. Maybe an owner's manual is what I need at this point? Once I understand how the unit operates then I can get a better picture of what I need to do to get it going. Since I have not had much experience with Goggomobiles I want to educate myself as much as I can prior to tackling the repair work (my first Goggo... just delivered yesterday).

Wires on the regulator are disconnected, I am missing a high-tension wire (coil to plug), and some sort of tube should be connected to the Bing carb that I need to locate. I need to do many things before I attempt to start this engine after many decades of sitting (since 1965, I believe). Once I get the engine running, it would be nice to understand how to get the Goggo moving. Hence the question about the electric transmission. ;)

Any general knowledge that you could share would be great.

Regards,

Carl

P.S. what is that odd looking pedal on the floor (right side) that has the roller wheel on it?

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:18:33 AM »
Hi Carl
            A photograph of the dashboard and one of the engine bay would be most useful, what year is your car/ I have four goggos and they are all diferent, have you got an owners handbook or an owners manual?
                                                                                                                                                                      Mike

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:40:02 AM »
Mike,

Sorry. I can not upload any images. When I attempt to upload an image, the server replies with "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator." The file I have is a web-optimized JPG file that is only 56K in size. This looks like something that needs to be addressed on the admin side.

I have a 1959 Goggomobil T-400 Saloon/Limousine.

Try these links to see images:

http://home.comcast.net/~mjhansenis/goggo/goggoDash.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mjhansenis/goggo/goggoEngine.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mjhansenis/goggo/goggogrille.jpg

To answer your question about the owner's manuals... no, I do not have any manuals at all... with the exception of an old 1960's copy of a Goggomobil shop manual from a London library.

Feel free to share any information that you might have. I am having a great time trying to figure out this little car. I will be very rewarding when I am able to get this car running!

Carl

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:14:06 AM »
Hi Carl
           WOW  you got a lot of work to do on you goggo - this is a pre select box, and it works on electro-magnetic sensors, you select the gear that you want from the panel on the dashboard 1-2-3-4-and reverse (the reverse switch is underneath the box) then press the clutch down and the is a sensor on the clutch lever that sends a message to the gearbox to select the gear you have chosen.
  It takes a bit of getting used to because you have to think ahead, even when going into neutral the car has to be moving when neutral is selected and then you have to press the clutch pedal.
  The pedals on the floor are from left to right the clutch the brake and the one with the wheel the accerator. You have a mass of wires going into the engine, my car has a terminal block, these cars often fail because one (or more ) of the preselectors have failed, If I were you I'd take the engine out to rebuild it.
  You should have two coils and two capacitors (mounted to the coils) them two HT leads going to the plugs, the timing is a bit diffucult to do and it requires you to remome the drivers side rear wheel and have a dial guage or some for of measerment for the plugs to set the two point spot on.
  I hope this has been some help.
                                                                                                                                                                    Mike

blob

• Prolific Poster

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:03:54 PM »
Blob,

Thanks for the link to the auction. I have this manual and it does cover quite a bit of "shop related" material. If you ever come accross an owner's manual, I would llke to buy that!

Carl