Author Topic: Slow-Run at the National  (Read 30607 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Slow-Run at the National
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »
 We all know what Saturday at the National is for don't we? That's road-run day!  ;D  Come what may, myself & the Mini-Comtesse will be there at the head of the line, but there is a certain ammount of enevitibility about what will happon when the flag drops. Everyone else (Fiat 500's, Bond Bug's, Messerschmitt's et al) will hare off into the distance the moment the cortage turns out of the gate & leave me standing. Then I'll get to the first hill (and there's a lot of 'em in Wiltshire!) & totaly fail to get up it....

However, just recently myself & Grant Kearney have been discussing the possibility of an alternative "Slow-Run" on the Saturday of the National, for all those extra-small, extra-slow & just plain extra-silly extra-micro microcars which must all be itching to do a run but for the certainty of being left for dead. The route will only be about 10 - 15 miles long (plenty far enough at 17mph) & (relitively) flat.

So, how about it all you little sub-100cc (& eletric) things out there? Lets get some numbers together & really make an event of this! Perry, get one of your Peels working properly & down to Wiltshire! John, where's that Curser? Grant, I'll promise to stop twisting your arm if you bring the Manx Bamby. Who else has got anything small & slow?  This Rally's suposed to be all about "micro", so lets get some the microest of micros out on that Slow-Run......

The Mini-Comtesse wants some company when it totally fails to get up the first one in forty-thousand slope, if only to help push it up!!!! 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Slow-Run at the National
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »
Excellent idea Stuart. It will be quite a spectical.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »
Perry, get one of your Peels working properly & down to Wiltshire!

Errr, they're both at this moment sort of in slumber..
However, I have an utterly adorable Ligier JS4. I love my Ligier because it looks like a moon buggy. So guess what I intend to bring along? Have no fear Mr Cyphus I have a san permis for a special occasion and all being well it will partake....   Right best I buy a battery and check the JS4 for soundness.....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:10:46 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:30:59 PM »
 That'll do nicely Perry.  :-*  (It's not Nick D's old one by any chance is it?)  What else is there out there? Is it my hearing or did I hear some floppings of a Flipper a few days ago, or was it just the distant braying of a Donkey?   ???

barchetta

• Chatty
  • ready for a road run summer 2006
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »
Stuart,
 At the last but one East Anglian Rally we had a brace of runs, The first ( call it the fast run) one left at 10.30 in the morning and left for the coast on a 35 mile run ,The second (slow run with AC petites ,bambys etc) left at 1.00 pm on their 12 mile run and met the Faster cars on the way back from the coast at Parham air museum for tea and cakes, Each run was routed to suit their respective needs and all the cars were gathered together for a photo oppertunity when they met up at Parham,
However we had the organisational skills of Bob Cotton to arrange it all.
 good luck ,there's two breakdown routes to keep a eye on!
Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:53:18 AM »
That'll do nicely Perry. :-* (It's not Nick D's old one by any chance is it?)

No it's not.  Mine came from the South of France and has 400 miles from new.  However a Peel might rear its obscure head....  Watch'a dis space'a.....
-Benvenuto Cellini

Inaheinkel

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
Hi All

I think the short slow run is a great idea, perhaps there could be 2 circuits starting at the same place, stopping for coffe or lunch at the same place and ending at the same place, with the larger faster cars doing a bit more of a tour.

Bit more work for the organisers, but what do you think?

Cursor not even collected yet  ???

John
Heinkel Kabine, Cursor

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
 So then, the National is about two weeks away now, and as several RUM folk may have overheard at Jean's Open Day, the Mini-Comtesse is sadly out of action for the foreseeable as regards road use, mostly due to recalcitrant brakes and bolshy MoT testers.

But fear not folks, the RUM's resident favourer of the extra-small & extra-slow has a further ace up his sleeve and thanks to the generosity of it's actulal owner,  :-*  WILL have an alternative vehicle on the start line come Saturday morning. I'm not going to give too much away about what it is  ;)  (turn up & see for yourself) but I will just casully mention that the vehicle I have been very kindly loaned, and which is currently in my shed awaiting the day, is red in colour, rather plasticky, and has rather a lot of Perspex making up the top of it....    :o
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:21:29 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »
So Stuart Von Cyphus the Red Barron flies again!!!

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 10:50:48 PM »
So then Mr Cyphus, you have seen the light at long last then ?.  You obviously know what all the fuss is about now.  Well look forward to seeing you and the 'Top Secret Trident'.  Will you managed to upstage the mafia by getting the blue Mopetta in time ?.  Lets hope so  ;)

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 12:54:38 AM »
 :) Sounds interesting, I wish I could be there!!  :)
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:26:07 AM »
JS4's not functioning! 

Will be in my KR. Which in 3 weeks time will too be probably not functioning...
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »
Be possative P50!   I dont know which car to take, the Inter or the schmitt, if I take the Inter it will be nice to show it off but will not be able to go on the runs as its not registered yet. Take the schmitt and will be able to enjoy the run outs but everyone and his dog will be there with a schmitt! Unless, someone kindly offers to take me on the runs as a passenger. Dont all shout at once!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
Well Stuart, IF I can get there, and IF my van is on the road again in time and IF lots of complications are resolved I might be able to bring a suitable, infamous and noisy candidate for your slow run, and I think it will probably struggle to keep up with ANYONE else!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jawmedead

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »

WILL have an alternative vehicle on the start line come Saturday morning. I'm not going to give too much away about what it is  ;)  (turn up & see for yourself) but I will just casully mention that the vehicle I have been very kindly loaned, and which is currently in my shed awaiting the day, is red in colour, rather plasticky, and has rather a lot of Perspex making up the top of it....    :o

Coo! I thought you were going to let the cat out of the bag just then!!!  Look after her. Don't want to see the plastic broken or paint scratched. Have fun.