Author Topic: Slow-Run at the National  (Read 30636 times)

Inaheinkel

• Quite Chatty
Re: Slow-Run at the National
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 09:36:26 PM »
Hi

Congratulations to all who braved the rains to attend the rally.

Weather in Bournemouth was crazy, with torrential rain one minute and the sun coming out for about 20 mins. evry hour.

I actualy went out in the Heinkel and did about 25 miles in the afternoon. On the way home it was a bit scary as the rain was so heavy I had a job seeing where I was going when getting into the right hand lane on a dual cariageway and turning right at a roundabout.

I have decided to sell the Heinkel as I havn't got a garage for the winter.

I must admit it has been the car that has got the most attention of all of the many classics I have owned.

Since buying it though I have realy missed the hunt for a car, it's so much fun looking for the next micro.

If anyone has something to sell thats cheaper than the Heinkel and needs only very minor work or is MOT'd then let me know.

Whatever happens I will be at more rallys with something soon, IF THE WEATHER IMPROVES A BIT .

PS what was Stuarts car then ????

John
Heinkel Kabine, Cursor

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 10:38:44 PM »
 For all those quivering with excitement to find out just what it was I took on the Slow-Run of NMCR '08, it was in fact (fanfare) a 1991 Batricar Aire 3 mobility scooter!  :o  Oh yes folks, this small, red, rather plasticky, rather Persex-laden vehicle (I never actully said it was a Peel! I had on loan!) was the I.C.R's transport of choisce to reach the giddy heights of 8mph through the lanes of Wiltshire on the way to Calne Locks to watch the K & A canal being filled up by all that falling out of the sky....

So why a Batricar? Well, as most of you all know by now, all the MoT testers round my way are refusing point-blank to even concider testing the Mini-Comtesse, then shortly afterwards our very own Cuscus47 of this forum (Ian Hellings) had bought the aforementioned Batricar on eBay & asked me if I would store it for him prior to it being shipped out to the States. With it then safely tucked away in one of my sheds I suddenly pondered the facts that mobility scooters are exempt from Tax, MoT & insurance, so why not use it as a means of sticking two fingers up at the buerocrates that insist on such things, thus waylaying the Comtesse, & doing the Slow-Run after all.  Approval was granted by Ian & the Run was done. Admittidly I didn't do the entire 20-mile course, but that was soely due to the fact that the batteries are rather past their prime & thus would never have lasted the whole distance anyway.

On to the rally itself and no doubt it will be remembered as the year the rain ALMOST won. By early Saturday morning the camping field & show fieald were both well & truely waterlogged & totally unpassable, but not to be beaten, the rally was just moved onto the hardstanding around the muesum buildings themselves with the public cars, vans trailers etc. parked on the outside road, easly streching for a quarter mile in both directions at one point on Sunday afternoon. I'll let the photos do most of the talking, but in my opnion, National '08 was still a roaring succses & a damn good, enjoyable rally regardless of the weather.  So stuff the moaners!

A typical scene from the middest of Show Day

My personal star of the show. And it was for sale too. -  Ooh, if only it wasn't electric.....

John might recognise the car on the right, it took all day but I finally managed to get the pair together.

Mike Clarihew & Grant Kearney on one of the drier patches of ground in the original intended show field.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:46:45 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Inaheinkel

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 11:43:13 PM »
Hi Stuart.

great pictures.

Just think I was going to come and sleep in the tent again :o

A nice few henkel/Trojans.

Nice to see my old Acoma Super comtesse, I wonder where the Break is now?

What is the orange electric beastie then?

If you spot my Heinkel for sale on Ebay there is a picture of you.

Not sure if this means the buyer gets you free as well or if I have to pay you royalties for using your famous bonce as and extra advertising gimic ? ;D

John

X
Heinkel Kabine, Cursor

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:49 AM »
Hi John. The rally wasnt as bad as it sounds, admittedly friday it rain almost all day but all saturday was dry until about 3.30 when the heavens opened as we returned from the run. All sunday was dry with the exception of a light brief shower at lunchtime,it was only the fact that the site was so waterlogged before hand that made such a mess. You could have come and camped around the edge like blob did and had a great weekend. Still, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »
Rain, what rain? seemed fine to me. John, I think the perfect car for you would have to be a Goggomobil, having accompanied Mike in his on Saturday, it feels more like a small car than a microcar and they have range,  Mike drove all the way from London and back.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:37:44 PM by blob »

Inaheinkel

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »
Great pictures.

I think you had better weather than we did in Bournemouth.

Still interested in finding out what the orange thing is?????

Yes i think Goggos are good little micros.

I have already started looking on ebay to see what is about :D

John

X
Heinkel Kabine, Cursor

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:20 PM »
Hi.

The orange thing is a Teilhol Citadine and is for sale at around £1000.  Steve Vine is the man to ring, down
near Southampton.  I helped him to import it a couple of years ago and we took in the Arras autojumble
on the same day.  Quite an adventure, the seller has loads of interesting stuff in her barn including a lovely
turquoise Messerschmitt and my personal favourite, a tandem seater Poirier.  Sadly it wasn't for sale otherwise
I'd have beeen back the next day!

Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »
dang!  beat me to it!

Here is a pic of me inside one (owned by Mario Palma Jr in Canada)

Inaheinkel

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 08:31:54 AM »
Hi

Thanks all for the name of the orange thingy.

It's handy because it's in Southampton (only 35 miles away), but I will be looking for something able to drive a bit more distance.

John

;)
Heinkel Kabine, Cursor

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
Hi John. Sorry to see you are selling your Heinkel. If lack of a garage is really the reason for selling then surely when you buy the next one you will have the same problem. I had that same problem, two cars and no garage so earlier this year I found a classic car storege facility that is basicly a big modern barn with lots of security, I share it with mostly American car owners, if you could find something localy you could try what I did and say " I need less than half the space, how about half price!" I now store my Schmitt for seven quid a week. Its just a thought especially as you seem to have sorted the Heinkel now. Regards, Bob