Author Topic: Mechanical Elephants!  (Read 37711 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Mechanical Elephants!
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 03:11:33 PM »
Bob, I am sure Stuart is up to the tusk
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jawmedead

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
   TRUMPETY - TRUMPETY - TRUMP!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:43:18 PM by Jawmedead »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
 You all asked for it and now you've got it!  ;D  The mechanical elephant article is all done & dusted and is now in the hands of Tony.....   8)   

98 SNAKE EATER

• Just Starting
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 01:40:44 AM »
Here is a mechanical elephant at Colwyn Bay in the 1950s:

You can tell that this is a proper, approved, official mechanical elephant, as the gadgie steering it is wearing a white-topped hat.....

Andrew

My mom actually has one of these elephants....

She picked it up at a local antique auction in Orlando years ago and it's been taking up space in the garage eversince.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
Great to see there are still mechanical elephant roaming about, what era does yours come? I know nothing of stationary engines and was wondering if it's a later recreation of the theme, or a genuine vintage example?

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »
The BBC Radio 4 programme "Questions, Questions", which airs on a Tuesday afternoon at 1530, has an item on mechanical elephants in the January 24 programme.  Having heard it trailed at the end of this week's edition I've emailed the production team, telling them of RUMCars' interest in the subject.  Watch this space. 

If nothing comes of it, at least remember to tune in at 1530 on 24 January.  My birthday, by the way!

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
At a slight tangent. I wonder if the wheeled elephants have a similar action to the old Mobo Horse kids toy, if you had a J40 you should have had a Mobo Horse too, despite the motive power being different.
I recall a classic car mag doing an item on these elephants sometime ago and it seems there are a few surviving ones out there. Ideal for the London to Venice run as they can do a Hannibal over the Alps.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
Have you not read Stuarts two excellent articles on the mechanical elephants in RCN Al?   Dont tell us you dont subscribe?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »
Have you not read Stuarts two excellent articles on the mechanical elephants in RCN Al?  Don't tell us you don't subscribe?
  That's right he doesn't but then there are a lot of other Forum folk who don't.  They don't what they are missing - the best Microcar magazine in the English language. Plug, plug the first issue for 2012 will be out in March make sure of your copy NOW!   Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
Yes nearing a sort out on clubs and cars. Being ill for a month stuck inside has got a lot of guff sorted. THe down side is a backlog of active jobs not done.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
...the best Microcar magazine in the English language.

Jim, if you're reading this, I'm sure Jean merely intends this as a swipe at our American dialect, not at Microcar News.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »
Sorry Jim,  I certainly did not mean to disparage your Microcar News, I very much enjoy reading it but I am a little biased to RUMCAR NEWS.  I did have a hand in getting it off the ground in 1980 and admire the heights to which Chris has raised it to now.  No offence intended but I think it is the best, certainly this side of the Pond.  If other folk want to pass judgement don't delay subscribe today!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
Now for sale to the public!
limited quantity, act now.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
Wow, a 10 seater! That would look great going up and down Oxford Street.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face