Author Topic: Voltage Regulator Wiring Assistance Needed  (Read 8297 times)

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
Voltage Regulator Wiring Assistance Needed
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:51:09 AM »
I am in the process of rewiring my 1957 Goggomobil T-400 voltage regulator and could use some advice from someone who has experience with this, or who has a Goggo that can be used for reference. There was no voltage regulator in the car when I bought it.

I have attached two images. The first image is a drawing of the wires that should be connected to the regulator. The other image is a section of a wiring diagram that shows the voltage regulator. Each image has unique numbers placed by each wire so that the wires on each image can be referenced.

There are a few wires in each wire loom that are the same color, but are different in thickness. The wiring diagram does not indicate wire thickness so I am a bit confused at this point. Also, the engine shroud (cover) cannot be removed from over the engine without removing the gas (petrol) tank. This prevents me from easily tracing the wires.

Any assistance identifying the correct placement of the wires on the voltage regulator would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring Assistance Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:21 AM »
Hi Carl: I will look in my manuals and on the cars themselves of several other German cars such as the Trabant, Lloyd, Isabellas's and even the lowly VW to see if there is any similarity.  Is the regulator you found proprietary to Goggo, or is it another make? I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.   Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:05:02 AM »
Hi Carl
         You can't do anything to the Goggomobil engine wihtout removing the cowl - it should come off quite easily providing you have undone the four bolts that hold it on the is two on the top of the cowl - one holding the eathing lead and two on each side bolted in to the heads of the engine, I've found in the past that one or the other has removed itself through vibration of the engine - maybe you have not removed these bolts they are small 10mm heads and quite difficult to see. Once you have the cowl removed the wiring will be easy to see and you will be able to clean out the carburettor and remove the barrels to check on the rings and the big-end play.
                                                                                                                                                                                                   Mike

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:46:26 AM »
Mike/Ian,

Thank you for the reply.

The voltage regulator that I have installed in the Goggomobile is an original Bosch #0190219003 (see picture 1).

Picture 1

I have successfully removed all securing cowl bolts. The cowl does move freely but I can not remove it from the engine compartment since the gas (petrol) tank prevents the cowl from exiting the engine compartment. The only way I can see to remove the cowl is to unbolt the gas tank and move out of the way. From your comments this does not seem to be normal. Should the cowl come out easily without removing the tank? I would like to remove the cowl just to inspect and clean the engine. I'll give it another go...

I was hopeful in finding someone who could take a "decent" resolution picture of their Goggo voltage regulator and the two black plastic covered wire looms that are located on the left side of the engine (see picture 2). These are the two black plastic covered wire looms that I have provided a drawing of in my initial posting.

Picture 2

I'll explore the option of getting the cowl out of the engine compartment again, and if anyone has the option of taking a few photos... I would appreciate your time and effort. I only wish that I had a second Goggo to use as a reference... but my wife would find a new place for me to live if I brought another car home.  :D

Best regards,

Carl

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:59:37 AM »
Mike,

I was able to successfully get the metal cowl off of the engine. I did need to force it off a bit harder that I expected, but it did work. Since I don't know Goggos well, I am apprehensive at times when it comes to forcing things with this 50 year old vehicle. Thanks for your advice, I sincerely appreciate your input.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your wired voltage regulator and associated wires if you have the time. I'm gathering a wealth of information on these cars and am becoming more comfortable working on them as well. I just can't wait to get this car running for the first time in many, many years!

Carl

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »
Hello Carl:  Is this photo any help?

Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

LaforzaLand

• Occasional
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:42:14 PM »
Ian,

Thank you for posting the picture. Actually, this photo does not really focus in on the connections to the voltage regulator terminals and the connecting wires closely enough for me to identify each wire. The positive side of this image is that this is the first engine shot of a Goggo that I have seen that shows the damper controller cable on the engine cowl.

I appreciate you posting this image. I am actually going out to the garage now to trace the wires back to the various components. Not the ideal way for me to do things since I have very little free time, but it is the best way for me to learn about these cars.

Cheers!

Carl

outside

• Just Starting
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 11:09:50 PM »
hi guys

where did you find the voltage reg from?
my dad is looking for one for his dart.( www.redgoggo.com.au )
any info would be good.

thanks
len

"Always be yourself... because the people that matter, don't mind and the people that do mind, don't matter".

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:15:40 PM »
I got one from Leo at IsettaClassics:

http://isettaclassics.com/products/products_moreinfo.php?id=30&path=0

it is the same Regulator

also have you tried Uwe at www.Goggomobil.com ?

you can also try:
http://www.oldtimerteile.net/search.php?searchword=regulator&search=Search+products

one is NOS ($$$) and another is rebuilt for 185 Euros

outside

• Just Starting

"Always be yourself... because the people that matter, don't mind and the people that do mind, don't matter".