Author Topic: Villiers 8E engine wanted  (Read 7600 times)

Alastair

• Chatty
Villiers 8E engine wanted
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:01:03 PM »
Following the blinding response to my request for Bonk Mk C parts - make that a nice round zero - can I conclude that Bonds are beneath RUM membership? Here's your chance to redeem yourself. Following examination of my engine I have found the bottom of the crankcases and primary chaincases to be corroded beyond what I consider to be safe or worth rebuilding. (It was lying on the ground in an open fronted shed for 40 years) Does anyone have Villiers 8E crankcases and / or primary chaincases or even a complete engine for sale?
Someone?
Anyone?   

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Villiers 8E engine wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
To the contrary, I love the early Bonds, especially mkC and D's. Its just that parts for them , especially 8E engine parts are petty darned hard to find now. If you thought the streets were littered with the stuff I'm sorry to disappoint you. I have been struggling to find parts for the 11E and another member had to wait years to find a 9E engine. Bob Dobie has been waiting years to find one solitary mkC headlight and still has. All I can suggest is dredge through eBay under villiers everyday and be prepared to pay a fair price. I don't know where abouts in the country you are but if you trot down to Loxwood this weekend for the Bond rally and ask around the folk there, you could come up trumps. I wish you success in your search. Regards, Bob

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
Hi Bob
Thanks for at least submitting a reply. I have been a member of RUM for some time and greatly enjoy the magazine but I have to say I don't think the Forum does the Register credit. Often I look at the comments about auction cars etc and think how supercilious many of the authors are, looking down on cars and their owners if they don't fit in with an apparent clique that inhabits this bit of cyberspace.
Your reply to my straightforward request comes across the same way. Without knowing anything about me, you talk down to me about me "thinking the streets are littered with parts". If that were the case I would have no need to make a request. I am well aware parts are scarce but I also believe "If you don't ask - you don't get" or indeed deserve to get! I am always prepared to pay a "fair price" and have found through my experience with old bikes and cars you are least likely to get something for less than a fair price from someone who knows what a part is worth!
I am also a member of the Bond Owners Club but living in Scotland "trotting down to Loxwood" isn't an option.
The point I made in my listing was that despite many people viewing to my advert no one replied, even to offer constructive advice. I like to lead my life by treating others as I would like to be treated myself. We are all enthusiasts and should be happy to offer help and advice to others but I see no advantage to turning that into talking down to others.
Sorry if this offends but I find your reply unnecessarily offensive and condescending.         

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »
Oh, Sorry about that, that was certainly not my intention. I thought I WAS offering constructive advice, I did say that I knew not where you lived because I knew that Loxwood will have been far too far for many to come. About the forum being a little narrow I tend to agree, I have been slammed a few times myself for disagreeing or saying something that bucks the general outlook but thats forums for you , they only reflect the diversity of the contributors, thats why we need more folk like yourself who are not afraid to speak up and say what they think. In defense of the users though, I don't understand why you are so surprised that people with no parts to offer you kept quite , its the same response I would have expected if I had asked for bits for my Inter. Sorry again if my comment about the streets not being littered with 8E parts sounded cynical, it was not ment to be, its just cockney hyperbole but I think you set the tone yourself, "Blinding response, chance to redeem" etc. Anyway, lets put it to bed. Changing the subject slightly, dare I ask, would you happen to have any Villiers 11E parts to sell, I'm looking for outsized pistons, fan cowlings, siba control box cover and various. I'm also looking for a 9E chaincase cover. I stand by my advice about ebay and Bond rallies as the best chance of finding what you want and when I say a 'fair' price I mean a high price [a "fair old price", misunderstood London vernacular ]  , not as in fair/unfair. By the way, is there a Bond forum [minicars] because if not its about time there was, we will have to get onto Stan Cornock about it. Best wishes, Bob. Sorry, I dont know your name, but no offence ment or taken.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:02 PM »
 Words means all things to all people, it just depends how their read at any one time.  I reckon this is Alastair Lauchland we have here. Would I be right?   :-* 

Has nobody seen the two 11E engines currently going through eBay? They look like a pair of conveyance engines to me....

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:23:20 AM »
Hi Stuart
Identity check spot on - surely I'm not recognised by reputation, I'm largely a silent Forum watcher

Bob
Perhaps Stuart has a point. Our writing is influenced by the way we speak and regional variations throughout the UK gives us great scope for misunderstanding. The term "divided by a common language springs to mind"!
In my defence, although I sometimes monitor the Forum I have only contributed once before and on that occasion I received a broadside from someone over the pond for having the audacity of referring to RUM as a club. Perhaps when I read your reply I saw the Forum as a clique where outsiders were not encouraged.
You asked what reply I was expecting if no one had parts, well I was thinking that perhaps if others had encountered my problems with headlights etc. they could advise what parts they used. I'd like to keep the car original but I wouldn't keep it off the road for the want of a headlight.
As you say - let's move on.
I have had some success in finding parts and Bond Spares have supplied their last 6 hole flexitor and replacement grille etc. Just last night Stan explained that no one knows the original manufacturer of the headlamps but he has suggested a few makes that have been used in the past to complete restorations so progress is being made. 
Unfortunately I don't have any of the parts you mention but I did see a 9E primary chaincase cover on eBay a week or so back. Good luck with the search.         

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:20:40 AM »
Hi Alastair. Stuart is a great diplomat isnt he, I'm sure he could get a job with the UN. About 5 3/4 inch headlights, Bob Dobie told me that so long as you start out with a wipac light bucket the wipac pattern parts, ie reflecters, lense, rims, sold for BSA D1 Bantams all fit together and make a reasonable substitute headhead. I have not tried it yet but will be soon as I am in need of a pair of wipacs for something I'm working on. Its just a suggestion until the real thing turns up, of course the little cast finial piece on top would be missing. Didnt I sell you a Bond mkc wing a few years back , meeting up at a motorway services? Could have been another Alistair.

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
Hi Bob
The email I got from Stan last night suggested much the same. Another suggestion he had was old tractor lights such as Fordson. I have one cast finial and thought I may try to make a painted resin copy - I'll need to give it some thought but it'll be a bit down the track as there is so much else needing done!
Wasn't me that bought the wing. This is my first C, hence the need for advice. I have a couple of G's in my stable but have wanted an older one for a while, they are perhaps not so practical but much better looking! 

Inaheinkel

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:05:27 AM »
Hi

Love Bonds.

Bubblecar Museum has a good display including a minitruck.

Don't know if this is any help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-11E-Villiers-engines-Bond-Gocart-microcar-bubble-car_W0QQitemZ270254543669QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270254543669&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

2 engines for sale on Ebay, they are slightly different to the one you are after, but it says they are for Bonds

Good luck

john
Heinkel Kabine, Cursor

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:50:34 AM »
A colleague of mine in the Fabulous Fezheads (an ex fireman) used to love driving his Bond around Maidstone. He was reminded of this when he saw my Trojan. Nothing odd about driving a Bond around Maidstone? He regularly used to drive it on 2 wheels! he cannot remember which model he had.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »
Hi
Thanks for that. I have it bookmarked but it ends while I'm away on holiday. I don't like placing an early bid as you are essentially bidding against yourself if there are others interested. I've sent the bloke an email to see if something can be arranged.
Alastair 

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
I have an 8E bottom end

Campbell

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Thanks Campbell I think you have made a sale! Speak soon.

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Cream Mk1 Scootacar