Author Topic: Bamby Engine  (Read 21289 times)

Bambyman

• Occasional
    • Manx Transport Museum Group
Bamby Engine
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »
Hi All, i hope someone might be able to help. I have a 1985 Bamby with a Suzuki Roadie (D) 50cc engine. When i bought the car it had just 44 miles on it. I am only able to do short distances of maybe a quarter of a mile (at the most), then the engine seems to over heat and cut out. Could anyone tell me if the Bamby ever really ran with any efficiency on a Suzuki roadie engine. I've had the back wheel off the ground and ran it for a few miles without a prob ha haa (great at going nowhere) but is the car just to big for the engine ? Or is there a possibility that this engine can be tweeked Regards Bambyman

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Bamby Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:16:18 PM »
Hi. When we ran our Bamby ditching the 50cc roadie was the best thing we ever did, in my view it just wasnt up to the job, the makers should never have used this motor not because it was 50cc but because it has that automatic gear box, it was a rubbish motor even in the scooter it was designed for. If you want to seriously use the car a change to a motor using a variable belt type transmission is needed, we used the 80cc suzuki of the same period but I still think that a 50cc one would still do the job. My self and another Bamby owner tryed using a 125 but it caused too much vibration and was too powerful , remember the car was only designed to go 25/28 mph. If you decide to stick with the roadie engine [dont !] I have a haynes manual for it that you are welcome to. Just let me know if you want it. Regards, Bob P

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:25:41 PM »
Hi,
Quite agree with bobbybubble.  The Roadie 49cc engine is not up too the job, the 79cc version however was better but was never popular so would be very difficult to find now.  The Mk11 Bamby with its heavy steel chassis, forklift seat and glass windows is just  to heavy for the engine to propel.  The weakest points are the auto gearbox and the engine mounts.  A modern scooter engine/drive would make a big difference.  I know of one Bamby that has a 125cc engine but it has never been reliable due to over heating as the engine is tucked away out of the airflow and the fan struggles to cool it.
Where are all the Bambys now ?, never seen one for many years.  Are they all tucked away in collections until they are considered 'desirable' ?  Jean mentioned some time ago that there were only a handful on the Register so what has happen to the other 45+ ?.

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 04:59:58 PM »
It sounds like something electrical breaking down due to overheating if it'll run well (within reason) under no-load conditions.  If you can't source a CS80 from a scrappy - or the Devil's web site, eBay - you might try improving the cooling with a supplementary 12v fan.  Good luck!  Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 02:42:59 PM »
The suzuki roadie 50cc is now difficult to find but the 80cc version is near impossible as far few were built or sold.  The ideal engine swap for the Bamby should'nt be over 100cc and must be fitted with a good fan as the engine gets very little natural cooling where it is located.  The chassis will also need modifications to take the engine mount sof the new engine and the wiring modified to accept the new unit.  Even after all these upgrades you might still be disapointed by the handling and brakes.   :(

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 04:16:13 PM »
The  Suzuki CP80 scooter engine with CV belt transmission  pops straight in [ no modification to the chassis] but again proberbly hard to find now. If you get a chance to go to the Bubblecar museum at Bahards Leap you can see our old Bamby with this engine fitted, I think we just had to change the mudgaurd and I think make an exhaust bracket. Let us know how you get on. Regards, Bob P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 05:55:37 PM by bobbybubble »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »
Well it worked for us!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:31:46 AM »
Yes it has electric start.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 09:21:51 AM »
Yeh, these things cant be hurried, wait for a complete scooter if you can, we found one for a hundred pounds which gave us everything we needed for the conversion. I hope you are not expecting too much of the Bamby when you have sorted out the power unit, the handling and braking are attrocious and the rear end tends to snake from side to side as you go along!  Bear in mind that this car was designed and built by a painter and decorator not an engineer!! I dont wish to pour cold water on the project but dont expect too much, this is why there are more in museums than on the road. Having said all that, I still like them!!

robbie2flippers

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
    50p ;D

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 12:29:19 PM »
There was a nice black Bamby complete in good condition with a second new factory body shell and running gear advertised in Classic Car weekly 2 weeks ago for £1000.  When I rang up a week later the guy had sold the lot for £550 as there was little interest.

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 06:45:30 PM »
As far as I am aware the black Bamby advertised in Classic car weekly was totally original and still had its Suzuki Roadie 50cc engine fitted.  A Bamby could be bought new in Black, White, Red (more like orange),Yellow and Blue.  I will give you a £1 for it !!  :D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 09:48:09 PM »
Dont buy the Honda! Buy a 1950s Italian lightweight and live a little! Such sporting pedegree, Such styling, such engineering genious, such rubbish electrics!!!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 08:43:03 AM »
They do a good pizza!

Bambyman

• Occasional
    • Manx Transport Museum Group
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 09:14:34 AM »
Nick, your supplementary fan idea is the one. Thanks for that. Kev gettin on with things