Author Topic: dope taughtened fabric bodywork  (Read 2407 times)

Smart51

• Chatty
dope taughtened fabric bodywork
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »
I'm considering making a fabric covered body for my new microcar but know little about it.  Are there any knowledgeable people on here?

How strong and stiff is the fabric once doped?  Does it need the wooden frame to support it or can that be removed? (I want the finished covering to be as light as possible.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:39:13 PM by Smart51 »

Dan Rodd

Re: dope taughtened fabric bodywork
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »
perhaps looking at pics of the velorex might give some inspiration?cars in the 20s etc were often fabric covered,but had a wooden frame/pannelling.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: dope taughtened fabric bodywork
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »
If you want to use fabric and doping to shrink body work toa tight fit, you should start contacting companies like the Aircraft Resoration Company at Duxford or the Tiger Club for advice. Velorexes have fabic covers but these are streched over turn buckles, with doping the material is actually shrunk to a tight water reistant fit by the doping, and this helps add strength because it holds the framework under tension. I do not know where you live, but you are probably not too far from a small aerodrome or flying club such as Headcorn, Kent. A visit to one of these would probably lead to good info.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face