Author Topic: Story re-opening?  (Read 6518 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Story re-opening?
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:21:06 PM »
Hi all, I just returned from an antiques fair at Marble arch  where I met up with an old German microscope dealer pal who happens to live near Story. He told me that after attempts to sell the whole collection of cars had failed there are local reports that negotiations are taking place for the museum to be taken over and reopened! Call me a gossip monger but that's the word from a local ! Also saw several vintage cars in town this morning thumping around ready for the Brighton run, a wonderful sight!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Story re-opening?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »
Dear Bob

Good news about Story, so the Story has not ended and there will be another chapter!!!!

Went to see the old Crocks on Sunday morning ( over 600 entries) at Redhill and saw the Messerschmitts that meet opposite the BP garage. It was a good run and the weather was ideal. It is amazing that all the cars are over 100 years old and run as well as they did when they were new ( if not better).

Could we get all the Messerschmitts that attended Redhill to attend the Rumcar Openday next July? It would be nice to try.

Perhaps the owner of the Pink Tiger could help.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »
Hello Chris. I'm glad a rumster got to Redhill to see the old crocks, its something I have wanted to do for years but it always clashes with the International Scientific Instrument Fair at which I have to put my stall out . Thats why I was so chuffed to see a couple of cars at Marble Arch at the crack of dawn. I got a chance to chat with the owners of a lovely red Humber four seater bacause it was using the car park next to the Thistle hotel that was hosting the Fair, the lady said they always saw the Redhill messerschmitts each year and were grateful for the support, she also said that they feature in a VCC video which I think we should look into. Your enthusiasm for all these events does beg the question Chris, when are you going to get an old microcar yourself and join in the driving fun? Honda insights just dont count!  Cheers, Bob

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »
Dear Bob

I hope the scientific instrument fair went well. I have an old Brass level that needs some attention. Are you interested?

Regarding driving a suitable Microcar. I do own an Elswick which is on the register, but I have come to the conclusion that my enthusiasm is not matched by the level of skill that is needed to renovate such a vehicle back to life.

However much I love the history, the ingenuity and imagination of the designers, the skill of the craftsmen and the beauty of what I call automotive sculpture, I realise that I am woefully lacking in the skills to emulate the car designers and constructors, and therefore have decided to leave the ownership and renovation of old cars to those that have both the skills and the money. There are many old cars I would love to own if I had the money, but sadly I fear that day will never come.

You are very lucky to have the engineering skills to fulfill your hobby. Long may you continue bringing rare cars back to life.

Chris Thomas

So I see my part as encouraging and informing others of what ever I research and experience in the way of Microcars.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »
Dear Chris. Worry not, you fulfill a valuable role in what you do, it was just curiosity that prompted the question. Actually I dont think it should be the money that puts folk off, I have a very healthy overdraft myself. What I encourage people to do is to start off with a project car which can usually be bought quite cheaply if you choose your model wisely and then spend a little on it over an extended perion of time, years even, and that way sure, it may end up costing a few thousand but you havnt noticed it going out. Its a bit like drinking beer, if you added up your annual spend on the stuff it would be a shock!  Is a Elswick one of those six wheeler vehicles? When are we going to see it?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 03:38:15 PM »
  Is a Elswick one of those six wheeler vehicles?

Not quite in this case Bob  ;)   (Take note of who's making this reply & that'll give you a clue as to what the Elswick is......)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 03:57:59 PM »
Point taken Stuart, No I don't want to see it . Sorry and all that. Its just I remember someone telling me Chris had some multi wheeled job, it must be someone else.

CHRIS, about your brass level, it depends on the age, if its pre 1930, I could be interested, send me a photo anyway. The fair was reasonably successful, sold a sextant, navigation celestial globe, anemometer and a couple of barometers. I left my copy of October practical classics open on the stand, page 30 of coarse, it was looked at more than some of the antiques. When I was recognised I told people it wasn't my car, my day job is a male model, I was just being paid to pose for the pics!   

Jawmedead

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:24:45 PM »
Have a look at http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/altpics/index.html 
The Envoy and Hustler (both designed by William Townes?) are on there with many other Mini based vehicles, threewheelers too.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:32:48 PM by Jawmedead »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »
Dear Bob

Important things first. The level is probably over 100 years old and still in it's original box.

If you look at the bottom of this item you should see the words Elswick, Hustler 6 and Honda Insight, So yes I do own a multy wheeled jobby, but it is not a microcar. I am seriously thinking of converting the Hustler 6 to full electric traction with the battaries being located between the four rear wheels, but that takes a lot of money and knowledge that at the moment I do not have. I am good at ideas. Less good at getting my hands dirty.

The elswick is Chassis no 1 of the last purpose designed invalid carriage which appeared just before the Ministry decided to modify standard cars. Typical. It is based on a mini engine and suspension, so technically is not a microcar, but creeps in as an Invalid carriage.

Do you have anything to add Stuart?

Chris Thomas

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
Going back to the original topic, has any only made contact with Christian Kunnecke to see if the rumours are true before we get too excited?  Bubble Car Museum topics are apt to get out of hand very easily!!   Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »
Dear Jean

I wondered how far away from the original topic we could get before you pulled us back to important matters. We are like a class of naughty school boys sometimes!

I agree with your suggestion, but who has the contact details needed?

Chris (Speedy) Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »
Oh that elswick envoy! Thanks Rob. Looks like a decent little vehicle if you are disabled or not! Does only one exist then? Cant say I like the Hustler.
About the level, send me a picture.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »
Dear Jean

I wondered how far away from the original topic we could get before you pulled us back to important matters. We are like a class of naughty school boys sometimes!

I agree with your suggestion, but who has the contact details needed?

Chris (Speedy) Thomas
  I have an email address and will make contact with him/
Jean

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »
I have had this reply from Christian about the prospects of the Museum opening.  It looks like a case of don't hold your breath!!

Good evening Jean,
our family has heard from these rumours - from the local newspaper.
In fact the local authorities are making plans how to re-open the museum. None of these people has got an idea how much work and enthusiasm it takes to run a collection, you know what I am talking about.
We were not involved at all, so I cannot say more. What was planned was an expensive research to find out to reopen the museum. It is not even clear how this research will be paid, not even who will take care for all other costs. But if the authorities in Hildesheim and Bockenem come to the conclusion that they have the resources, manpower, ideas, knowledge etc. to run the museum, we will of course let them do. But I don't think it will get this far.
In my opinion they will make a good mood in the media in order so say "we did everything possible". We can only ask ourselves why they did never care during more than 30 years before.
We will see what the future brings...
Best regards to you and all readers from the rumcar forum,
Christian
Jean

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »
Thanks for that Jean, at least the rumours were right even if Christian is not hopeful.