Author Topic: Rumcar News 99  (Read 5117 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Rumcar News 99
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »
What a pleasant surprise to receive RCN 99 this morning, particularly as I had decided not to venture too far outdoors, well worth the wait.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:35:30 PM by blob »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: Rumcar News 99
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:57:11 PM »
Oh wow! what has come over the Post Office and at Christmas time too.  I only managed to get them all into the post on Thursday morning and was about to let everyone know they were on their way.  I do hope you all enjoy your read and to those folk who don't subscribe as yet have a very Happy Christmas and make it your new Years Resolution to come and join us- its easy by PayPal. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

minitici

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
Yippee! - Mine arrived today as well...

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
RCN 99
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
Got my copy this morning and have read most of it now. Some interesting stuff I must say. I liked the feature on the Atco trainer, I have seen a few in museums up and down the country but it was good to learn some background. I'm fed up with all the nonsense about the Bubblecar museum , at the national, husband Mike was telling everyone that the museum was sold and they were hoping to relocate, can anyone fairly be chastised for repeating it? I think not. Enjoyed Stuarts summery of the National, "only the scootercar made it to the Locks? " Stuart, how could you not see my Messerschmitt and Steves Berkeley plus others in the Locks carpark with the Scootacar? Me and Perry walked along the Canal with you and your mum! What a short memory you have! Great to see another shot of the Inter at the Geneva 1955 Motorshow, I told you no two are the same! Also enjoyed Chrises French National rally report with some good photographs. I thought one of the articles about the auction was unnecessarily prickly, apparently us Brits let all our microcars go to America, Thailand, you name it, due to lack of interest! Dont know who wrote the article but you can bet your bottom dollar it was one of our colonial cousins, well speaking for myself the reason why I didnt buy any was lack of MONEY and space certainly NOT lack of interest, the damn cheek of it!!! I am likewise cynical about the so called "World microcar rally" to be held in the USA, Ken Weger , the organiser is a friend of mine and asked me what I thought of the idea a couple of years ago, its good that people like Ken take the initiative and have the money to fund these new ideas but what I replied to Ken and what I still think is this, it will be a great rally for Americans and a handful of wealthy individuals from else where! I know this is impractical for Ken but shouldnt a world microcar rally be in Europe, the home of the microcar?{ I guess thats what Story was?  Boo Hoo!!} I hope these comments will spark some reaction, I'm sure JJ will have something to say!? All in all a Good RCN, cant wait for the 100th edition.

sorry, I didnt notice there was already a thread for RCN 99
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:00:33 PM by Bob Purton »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
I merged your post into the unofficial official RCN 99 topic.

anyways, of COURSE I will have comments about any number of things Bob!
However, having not seen the new issue, I will have to keep my trap shut until it arrives.

also- some of my comments about one subject Bob mentioned not suitable for public discourse!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: RCN 99
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »
Enjoyed Stuarts summery of the National, "only the scootercar made it to the Locks? " Stuart, how could you not see my Messerschmitt and Steves Berkeley plus others in the Locks carpark with the Scootacar? Me and Perry walked along the Canal with you and your mum! What a short memory you have!

Oops, I had indeed forgot all about bumping into you & Perry!  :-[  Mind you, in mitigation we had been somewhat suprized & distracted in also bumping into the chap who runs the Wrigley Register not 100 yards earlier along the towpath. He also is an Essex boy & had chosen that very day to take his parents out to that very spot in Wiltshire which we invaded. Coincidance? Whats that?

Mind you further, by the time we moved out from under that tree when the heavens opend up, you & the Berkeley must have buzzed off becuse it was indeed only the Scootacar we observed across the way when we got back to the van. Ho Humm.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »
Thanks for merging the two threads Jim. I have said all I'm going to on the forbiden subject, what will be will be.

Stuart, and boy did the heavens open! we had to pull over because our wipers couldnt take it! P.S. Like your new logo Stuart, we all have days like that!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:16:07 PM by Bob Purton »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »
Mine arrived today in Chicago.

Wow Wow Wow!   Just chock full of stuff.
Some of this might be olde news for those of you that attended these events but I did not and loved looking at what went on at each venue.

I see Tony took my contribution with a proper amount of tact applied.  Well done Sir.

How can you top this for Issue 100?

regarding the review of the MICRO TRUCKS book, I was toying with publishing a review as well...but the attempts I made have not come out so well.
The author is from Canada and basically focused on one person's collection and while putting this as a Disclaimer in the beginning, I feel it still should have been called:
MICRO TRUCKS - from the collection of Mario Palma Jr.

Because that is where all the vehicles came from.
Mario is one of the nicest guys in Microcar-land and I am happy to see some of his collection get some attention but how many photos do we need to see of an IsettaCarro loaded with Pumpkins?   or people unloading Pumpkins from an IsettaCarro?  or people loading Pumpkins into the bed of an IsettaCarro?
How many photos of a girl jumping rope on a hopscotch board next to a Diahatsu Trimobile are needed?  (Two apparently, with the girl featured prominently and the Trimobile in the background).  At some point the photos just become filler.

so that is why I have not written a review yet and probably won't. oh wait, I just wrote a review.

I have not finished reading the issue yet, so I can't comment on the content of everything, but there sure was a lot of News happening this Fall wasn't there?

and regarding the Bubblecar Auction, if there was a bidder other than the one for the Thai Collector , I might know who it is.
There is a collector in Miami who has been buying up Microcars.  He says he does not want to pay a lot for the cars, but I have seen him pay some really crazy prices for Goggomobils on Germany eBay.  So he could have had someone there.

regarding the photo of the woman in the McDonald's uniform....I don't get it.  What did I miss?

Jawmedead

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:34 PM »
regarding the photo of the woman in the McDonald's uniform....I don't get it.  What did I miss?

My Dear Sir,

A serf or other menial has superimposed ones physiognomy onto the torso of a wench from a fast food outlet!

Yours sincerely,
Queenie from London.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:38:10 PM by Jawmedead »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »
Thus suggesting that the sovereign is having problems getting credit and has resorted to taking a job at the said establishment!