Author Topic: Is the Register too secretive?  (Read 7706 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Is the Register too secretive?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
 Well, I do rather tend to think a lot of general folk don't really understand the sheer scope or scale of some Registers. Using the ICR & RUM as examples, we both cover entire universes instead of just one particular make or even model of whatever.  We are not mindreaders as to what Mr X wants to know about whatever at whatever specific time. He has to come up & ASK us for the specific detail so we KNOW what specific detail he wants. Then of course we will move moutains to find that specific detail for him.  What's the problem? I've always found Jean to be the very model of openess....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:46:25 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »
Thanks for your vote of confidence Stuart.  Whilst I like to help as many folk as I can I will not quote owners names and addresses unlless I have been given prior permisssion by said owner.  All personal information is covered by the data protection act and should not be treated lightly.
I when I talked of handing over the section of the Register devoted to Invalid Carriages, I meant just that.  The two carriages in the Hammond Collection are NOT part of the deal.  First I would like to see you make contact with the DVLA to become acceptepd  as part of the V765 scheme so that you can validate any invalid carriages in your own right.  Get that hurdle over and you can have all the informnation, leaflets, articles, magazines and any other paper work that I can find to add to your not inconsiderable archive.  Then you can be a truly independent Register, because after all you know more about IC's thanI ever will.  Lets make this our aim for 2009.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »
Dear Jean

As a person who has a vehicle registered with Rumcars, the one thing that I wish was available is a listing of all the vehicles on the register which was accessible to members. Now I know that the Data protection act may come in here, but I am just talking about the Rumcar registration number, the make and model, year and perhaps country of residence. No owners names, no registration plate numbers, colours or anything like that.

Why would I like this list? Well I could then see how many other vehicles of the same type as my own, or one I wish to buy, are already registered, and if I wanted more details I could then come to you/ the new registra and be specific about the data that I wished to obtain.

Also as a regular contributer to Rumcar it would also allow me to obtain first hand experience from the owners if I were to be writing about a particular vehicle.

Now I realise that we may not want every Tom Dick and Harry  having access to the register, but in the same way as forum members have to be vetted before they can spout forth, perhaps the same process could be used for the register.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »
Chris has a point, I think a lot of people including myself would like to see a published form of the register but with no ownership details, the MOC has such a list for schmitts showing how many of each type survive and also colours etc. Perhaps this added transparency would satisfy those who feel its too secretive.   

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »
the MOC has such a list for schmitts showing how many of each type survive and also colours etc.

They do?  :o  I'm in the MOC & that's the first I've heard of such a published list!  And as most folk who knows me know, that's usually the second such item on my shopping list from any club after first clearing 'em out of all avalible magazine back issues......  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
Stuart, All the flattery about your prowess as a researcher is going to your head! Its on line for all and sundry to view. WWW.messerschmit.co.uk,  home, page 5, click register, click add my car to the register, click statistics so far, select, Model, colour, year of registration, condition. I looked just now and the system was down [maybe for updating] but that's where it all is. I can see why you didn't come across it before, you probably got no further than the 'register my car' button on account of not being an owner. I wonder if its designed that way, so that its viewable to other owners only? Wouldn't it be great to have this facility on the rumcars website.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:56:11 AM by Bob Purton »

Jawmedead

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »
Its on line for all and sundry to view. WWW.messerschmit.co.uk,

It doesn't show with this title, you've left off a 't'  and added a , (comma) at the end.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
Its on line for all and sundry to view.

Oh well, no wonder I couldn't find it! Must admit though, I regard "published" as meaning paper & ink sort of things so that's what I was looking fot. Personally I can't say I hold much faith in online stuff as it can be lost & vanish in the mispress of a button or collapse of a website, whereas at least with paper it'll sit quite happy on the shelf for years to come.

Over & out til Boxing Day.  Merry Chistmas   ;D 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
Rob, This is my only way of checking you are awake! I know what you are like with the Pimms, especially this time of the year!

Stuart, Well, print it off and put it up on your shelf then! Get used to it old fruit as the Kabin news will soon be availible on line only, its just a matter of time. It will be a sad day, like you I prefer paper and ink.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »
I have just re-read my last posting on this, and think my meaning may not be clear, I do NOT mean that the criticism Jean what discussing is right! I mean the I feel THE REGISTER is about right!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face