Author Topic: Can you identify these cars please!  (Read 5389 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Can you identify these cars please!
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »
I'm currently doing some work for the Royal College of Ophthalmology who are putting on an exhibition about optical instruments in Oxford later in the year. Part of it is about a man who made some huge break through in Refractometer design, the two pre 1908 cars showing belonged to him and we want to know what make they are for the exhibition. Can anyone help? Sorry they are not microcars!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Can you identify these cars please!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:17:16 PM »
Dear Bob

They look like they may be  a Sunbeam and a Standard but I am not certain so I need more time to identify them exactly.

You may be able to get an exact identification by contacting the RAC as with that registration they should have a record if it is still on the road ( London to Brighton run and all that)

I will be back once I have done some research.

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »
For some reason the name Arrol Johnson springs to my mind, but I am far from expert, and don't even know why
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
Thanks Marcus, I looked at a few and nothing matched. Both of these cars have distinctive radiator shapes so it shouldnt be too hard.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
I gave your pics a little tweak and posted them here: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=38012#38012 this site may be able to answer your query at it's quite informative.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
 Can't say what the cars are, but the bottom picture is interesting becuse the car carries the number FC 259, being only the 259th number issued by Oxford. Oxford numbers commenced in January 1904 until December 1935, getting to 100 in November 1905 & 200 in April 1907.  It also looks to me as an Oxford boy, that the car is parked outside one of the big posh town houses at the north end of Oxford's High Street just before before it brances off to the Cowley Road & St. Clements.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »
LB 9713 is a Minerva 18hp. blob will claim credit for identifying this one but he is lying! ;) :D

We still need a positive ID on the other one , that is FC 259, it is suggested that its a Starling, can anyone confirm?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:37:22 PM by Bob Purton »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »
Only kidding Blob! Thanks for your help. Apparently a Starling is a model made by the Star motorcar company but I cant find an image of one to compare, this car doesnt look like any of the star cars I've seen. If anyone can find a picture of a Starling circa 1908 please let me know.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »
Bob watches 'Genevieve' now he's an expert, :-\  seriously though it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/genealogy/Boulton/Chapter2/Star2.jpg
http://www.svvs.org/genpics7/1906_Star_7HP.jpg

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »
Its always been a favoute of mine, I have it on video. Not sure who I'm infatuated with the more, The Daracque or Kay Kendall! It would be fun to organise a Microcar London to Brighton run, whos up for it? I found these links too last night, funny enough I got better image results from Ask than google! Keep on looking Mike, you have a reputation to maintain!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:23:58 PM by Bob Purton »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
Michael Worthington Williams is now on the case, he confirms the Minerva but even he is stuck on FC 259! What chance did we stand!