Author Topic: By order of her Majesty the Queen  (Read 9448 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
By order of her Majesty the Queen
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:30:59 PM »
I got this email today although I suspect its from someone other than the Queen, I know from previous emails that a certain Frenchman is obsessed with all things Elizabeth the 2nd. Maybe we should tell him that the average Englishman is oblivious to all and anything she does!

Her Royal Highness, Elizabeth 2

Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Head of the Commonwealth and Defender of the Faith
Lord High Admiral of the British Admiralty
____

Royal Order

As part of the good relationship we have with the Spanish Crown, and more particularly to be pleasing to the Queen Sophia of Greece, the wife of Juan Carlos 1st, King of Spain, we have decided to participate in the Trobada INTERNACIONAL DE MICROCOCHES
  to be held in MANRESA, 6 and 7 June next.
We have therefore appointed to represent us, our good following topics:
- Nick DEVONPORT Dover
- Mike and Renate HELE of CATHERINGTON
- Bob and his wife PURTON of Hornchurch
- Nick and Antje POLL of LARROQUE

We ask them to make suitable arrangements to get to this event to bring up the colors of England.
We attach the greatest importance that the cars taken by our subjects are pure products English (BOND, BERKELEY, frisky, AC LITTLE, PEEL, SCOOTECAR etc ...)
Our son Charles unfortunately can not represent us at this meeting because his cars (ROLLS ROYCE, ASTON MARTIN and JAGUAR, all of which would weigh several tons, can not meet the criteria for participation established by the Spanish Club.

Done to promote and serve what right, in our royal palace in BUCKINGHAM PALACE

London, February 11 of the Year of Grace 2009.

ELISABETH 2

I love how the google translation tool has renamed the AC Petite the AC Little!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:54:05 AM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: By order of her Magesty the Queen
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
I like it, especially Bob and his wife PURTON, now there is one very odd name for a woman, does that make her Mrs Purton Purton ?! Mention of the Royal cars reminds me that a couple of years ago I was driving DUF along Old Kent Road with my niece, and going the other way were Liz and Phil in their Bentley. That is a VERY nice looking car close up, and just a little bit bigger than DUF. I wonder if they saw me, if so what the h*** went through their minds?!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:30:57 PM »
Dear Retro Rob

Is this the event where they park up in the main square under the trees. Sounds like an interesting event.

It is only about 40 miles north of Barcelona so it would not be expensive to fly out hire a car and visit the event.  But the excess baggage for the inter would be quite high.

Worth thinking about

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »
  But the excess baggage for the inter would be quite high.

Put your clothes etc in the Inter, call it a designer suitcase!  Up North they might say: "in 't Inter" . In fact, if you did it during an interval it would be "put your clothes in 't Inter in 't interval".   Boom boom.
Alright, I'll get me coat! Bye!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jawmedead

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
Has H.R.H. given up her job at McDonald's then? ;D The picture seems to have disappeared!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:01:32 PM by Jawmedead »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:52:46 AM »

Rob, I think Liz has been a victim of the current financial crisis and has been made redundant from McDonalds. A case of last in, first out!

Chris, I've always wanted to go to the Spanish rally but something has always got in the way. The way to do it in my view is to trailer a microcar down to Nick Polls place and join the convoy in a microcar over the Pyrenees and down into Spain. Its a drivers rally from what I gather, don't think I would enjoy it as a spectator.  I would feel like a tea total-er at a wine tasting!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:21:15 PM by Bob Purton »

Smart51

• Chatty
Re: By order of her Majesty the Queen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »
I got this email today although I suspect its from someone other than the Queen

Was it the spelling mistakes or the Americanised non-ordianl dates or the incorrect signature or the interest in microcars that gave it away?

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »
We attach the greatest importance that the cars taken by our subjects are pure products English (BOND, BERKELEY, frisky, AC LITTLE, PEEL, SCOOTECAR etc ...)

...doesn't say anything about English men taking French cars.  ???

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
Dear Bob

Putting three cars on a bigger trailer would make more sense if you were to be an owner driver rather than a spectator at the rally. But if there were no Spectators and it was all drivers it would be a bit incestuous.

Not knowing where Nick Poll lives it would be difficult to judge if it was within Inter driving distance or not.

Having driven down to the south of France all I can say is it is a long way regardless of if you are towing or not, but do able.

I would certainly consider being part of the team if needs be.

Chris Thomas

PS        I am quite often the tea tota-ler at the wine tasting. The secret is to spit not swallow. I always say putting on weight is not about what you eat but what you swallow, so why not with cars?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 04:30:05 PM »
Hi Chris, I think putting more than one car on a trailer is what the British contingency already do to keep costs down. Nick Lives in the south of France and holds a "Starter rally" at his farmhouse for a couple of days before they set off in a microcar convoy to the Spanish rally, its quite grueling apparently, some of the mountain roads require first gear for extended lengths of time. I always planned to do it in the messerschmitt, the Inter is not a car I want to thrash too much, its rather delicate compared to a Schmitt. Now the project I'm building at the moment IS a car I plan to thrash!

How will you ever be "intoxicated by the exuberance of your own velocity" if you spit it out?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »
Chris, Just out of interest there is an article in a 1950's bike mag that follows the route an Inter took in a mamoth drive from Paris to Milan and back, and he took the long route! Here is a link, its a three page article. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/inter175a/photos/album/360823434/pic/1599647251/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:45:36 PM by Bob Purton »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 08:23:55 PM »
Dear Retro Rob

Thank you for the link but not being a member of inter 175a I was only able to read the home page and the messages, and I could not see anything that relates to the Paris Milan Paris trip.

Any chance of PDF-ing it to me?

The run over the Pyrenees sounds like it should be done with a recovery truck and driver, just in case!!!

What is your latest project. A life size model of a Bank Manager?

Chris Thomas

PS    The spitting process means you get the taste without the hangover.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:04:19 PM »
Re. PDF...I'm not very good at that kind of thing but I will give it a go Chris..

Re.. P.S. you still dont get the intoxication or the exuberance if you spit it out!

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
you can't access the Inter group until you sign up for it.

here is the above-mentioned article as a 3-page PDF:
http://microcar.org/files/inter-trip.pdf

note: the original images are NOT very large or good quality, they are pretty small.  Good luck trying to read it.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
Dear Jim

Halo Halo

Listen very carefully, I will say this only once!!!

Thunk you for broking into the Inter Group chit room, Snitching a copy of the document, escaping and convarting it to pdf firmat, without being detucted. 

How good is your Fronch?

Chris Thomas