Author Topic: Has the 'micro' world gone mad?  (Read 6756 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Has the 'micro' world gone mad?
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:49 PM »
Am I right in thinking this Sachs 200 engine is going for £3000!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190288212343
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:51:35 PM by blob »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Has the 'micro' world gone mad?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:19 AM »
I shortened your link

Also- it says NOS (New Old Stock) and how many of those are you going to find these days?

as time moves on, the items that remain untouched and undisturbed will increase in value to some collectors.
I know people who want spare KR200 motors to have both a spare and because they enjoy just looking at them.

add in NOS throw in a few people with money and obsession.....  stir and serve!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »
Makes the one I offered you look rather cheap Mike!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
You and your NOS engines Bob! I don't think you'll get €4000 for that one. Yep! 4000 that's what it's up to now totally bonkers! :o I wonder if this sets a president for standard engines, maybe you were right to hang onto yours, though I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »
Dear Friends

I wonder how long it will be before somebody starts producing new copies of the engine. At that price it would be worth thinking about.

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
Calling Andy Carter !
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
I wonder how long it will be before somebody starts producing new copies of the engine. At that price it would be worth thinking about.

but since they will not be NOS, they will not command the same price.

unless, like some "antiques", they are reproduced and simply passed off as being NOS.

but then, a whole batch of "fake" NOS motors appearing on the market will drive the prices down.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
What is really mad is the fact that although this is NOS if this is to be believed [I bought a villiers motor under this label once and it turned out to be just a rebuilt one!] The new owner will still have to strip it down and replace seals that have hardened with age, make sure everything is free etc before it can safely be run anyway. So its a NOS in need of a rebuild! About making new ones, the club produces parts that cost them a fortune to make, for instance a set of gear cogs is about £1,000, just think how much it would cost to make dynastarts from new! To remanufacture a short run it would probably cost £10,000 per motor. About Andy Carter, are you suggesting that Andy make some fiberglass replica's? How many RPM could they take before melting!!? :D :D :D

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »
I bought a villiers motor under this label once and it turned out to be just a rebuilt one!
Oh well easily done  ;) funnily enough the same thing happened to me! Anyway it appears the whole episode was a hoax, the seller's cancelled all the bids and returned to price to €1. Maybe it wasn't as NOS as we were led to believe.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:08:33 PM by blob »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »
Anyway it appears the whole episode was a hoax, the seller's cancelled all the bids and returned to price to €1. Maybe it wasn't as NOS as we were led to believe.

there is discussion about this on the Messerschmitt Owner's Club forum and it appears that at least two posters know the seller.
I also postulated why the auction was stopped and the bids cancelled, I could reprint my postulations, pontifications and prognostications here if anyone cares.

also- it was pointed out that while the motor is a NOS SACHS motor, it is from a FULDAMOBIL and if you look at the listing it says that a used cooling shroud for a KR200 would be included if the buyer wanted it.  The other problem is that apparently the gearing in the Fulda motor is different from the Messerschmitt Sachs motor.

so...could be that is why the listing was cancelled by the seller.

note: the listing was "ended" by the seller, it has not been "returned" to 1 Euro for bidding.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
It is back to €1 now.  Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190288212343
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Jawmedead

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »
Yes I found this too. But on the top of the listing it said:   Das Angebot ist beendet  meaning  The offer has ended. Oh deary me what a farce!  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »
The gearing is indeed different. Some schmitt drivers who have Nobel engines fitted say there are certain advantages for urban use because fourth gear is not so high and not such a big gap between third and fourth. The penalty a reduced top speed on the motorway.