Author Topic: Another Bond A query  (Read 7667 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Another Bond A query
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »
a year or so ago this Bond MkA was on ebay , from Germany I think , does anyone know where the car ended up ? If we are to get some front end slats made up the this car could do with a set at the same time -

outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Another Bond A query
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 12:18:55 AM »
Well that is one that I had that did not get done! Think Jan van Stratton of Sneek had it with two others he bought from me in the days no one was interested. One went to Switzerland and was threatened with electric power. Bit of confusion over Cable and Bob Todd, sorry Bobbin, steering, perhaps.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »
This Bond used to be in a barn near me with what could be a dozen Trojans, not the bubbles but the chain drive pre war vehicles. It is a very early one and has chassis A/5/44 ie car number 44 and built in May 1949, he bought it from the same scrapyard near Billingshurst that the Mark C OCG 7 came from.

If big Al bought it from this guy I seem to remember another micro with it that looked a bit like a Larmar, is the the one you recently passed on al?

Wouldn't it be great to see this on the road one day bearing the Preston registration CRN 739, it was very likely registered by the factory when new as would CCK 919 which appears in many publicity shots of the period.
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »
Memory banks refreshed. Yes he was into Trojan Utilities, 3 doors and trailing and used to house some Trojan Club stuff. It is years ago that I bought his 5 Microcars up. You are correct it is the Larmar he had. That coming round a second time to me, and that has just been sold again. It is the one that did Bristol Classic Car Show and possibly an NEC, I forget which show up north it was, Stafford?
Our man in Billingshurst had made enough money to no longer play microcars, and had just bought an Invicta when I was there. He had a very interesting collection of vehicles.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
all very interesting but where is it now ! i did bid a lowish figure for it as this car has 2 of the most ENORMOUS repair plates rivetted either side of the cockpit - looks more like shipbuilding than bodywork . Can anyone zoom in on it and reveal it better ? The vendor was selling two , the first looked terrific and this was what was left over but it did come with a fullish complement of parts
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
all very interesting but where is it now ! i did bid a lowish figure for it as this car has 2 of the most ENORMOUS repair plates rivetted either side of the cockpit - looks more like shipbuilding than bodywork . Can anyone zoom in on it and reveal it better ? The vendor was selling two , the first looked terrific and this was what was left over but it did come with a fullish complement of parts

What are these plates?? my Mark A is car no. 48, only 4 after this one, I had better go and have a look and see what you mean.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
> What are these plates? <

I guess Richard is referring to the red Bond pictured earlier in the thread.  If you zoom in, you'll see "add-on" plates, rivetted to strengthen the sides at the base of the windscreen pillars.  Perhaps a mod to the original screen had stressed that area?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
No, do not get the plates thing referred too.

I assumed it was in Germany as that is what was said. The original ad is not there so I have few clues. However taking what I said earlier about three going to one Jan van Stratton, then one going to Switzerland, you are left with two cars. We are now told there are two 'cars' for sale, which would sound about right. Add to that we have a large green gate, not unlike that fronting Jan's house. I would suggest that he is the seller. Sneek is in Friesland. Jan is/was a navigator on the Rhine barges. So he will know ship builders and there are yards round there.

Jan and Nellie had a few Coronets/Powerdrive too. Bought earlier still, one at a Burford. He used to do this. Sudden bursts of acquisition of some car that took his imagination. He was into Velorex when I delivered the Bonds on the way to a German jumble. I had a job to keep up with him. Velorex are, or can be, pretty quick. Lian van den Bosse, a trader, got the bug from Jan, Arie and Rolufe and I had a pretty regular run up there for a few years. Its where the Inter came from, amongst other rarities. Happy days.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
> No, do not get the plates thing referred to <

Really?  Can you see the pic, of a red Bond, included in the first post of this thread?

The plates are there, if you zoom in.

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
> What are these plates? <

I guess Richard is referring to the red Bond pictured earlier in the thread.  If you zoom in, you'll see "add-on" plates, rivetted to strengthen the sides at the base of the windscreen pillars.  Perhaps a mod to the original screen had stressed that area?

Ah yes, I see them, this is a past owners home job for sure, nothing on mine apart from the start of a split, therefore the reason for the Harland & Wolff engineering solution on the red one.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »
try this one - the sides both had the same repair  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »
ah, yes. i could not zoom but can see it on that shot. Its old work. Better done in the inside and filled. Then the area polished up to appear unmolested. More difficult and probably the cars value at the time was little.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
it looks like a home mod , split maybe ? if the alloy was split or Sharps 'run' out of ally sheet they would have welded the split/new alloy - my Mk D has full weld across footwell , be careful if you fill as the good old Villiers will soon vibrate it loose !