Author Topic: Willam / Lawil Information  (Read 10770 times)

terry.bradley4@btopenworl

• Just Starting
Willam / Lawil Information
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »
Hi Everone,

I hope I am posting this correctly.

I have just joined Rumcars although I have owned microcars since I was sixteen ( Bonds and Berkeleys) and am now retired. I am an active member of the Bond Owners Club ownig a Mk G tourer and and an Estate.

In 1989 I brought in from France, as a non runner, a very decrepit Willam City with the 123cc single cylinder two stroke engine . I still have the original French documents and import form.

It seemed a good idea at the time !

Unfotunatlely due to family and work commitments the car was left to fester under a cover and is now in an even more sorry state but, I believe, still recoverable . The body is battered and  rusty particularly behind the bonnet opening, inner wheel arches ,behind the front bumper and O/S sill. The brakes are shot.

On the positive side the engine and transmission seems OK. I can turn the engine on the starter and there is a spark. Overall I am impressed with the general engineering on the car. Everything is there but in miniature.

My immediate target is to sort out the electrics and  get it running . If successful I will then sort out the brakes and finally the body. I understand the brakes are Fiiat based.

I have the originall rather smelly French Manual ( a cat must have peed on it at some time !) but unfortunately the centre pages which contain the all important circuit diagram are missing. If any one can help or advise where I can get a copy of the centre pages or circuit diagram I would be very grateful . I would of course pay all costs . There is currently a manual on  eBay but it is very expensive to buy for just for two pages . I have contacted the vendor in the USA asking whether willing to copy the centre pages but have yet to recieve a reply.

Any help on this matter or other information on this little car would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards Terry Bradley  

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Willam / Lawil Information
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »
I know little about them, but good luck!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
Hi Terry
           I have a willam fourgonette (postman pat van) which I imported in from France a couple of years ago, with a manual ( in French of course) The next time I down the copy shop I will take a copy of the middle pages for you.
                                                                                                                                                                               Mike

• Just Starting
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »
Mike,

That's great.

At least I will then be able to make a start on the car.

I am reluctant to do anything more until I have the diagram and checked out everything is at least connected  correctly. There is a warning on the control box not to start the engine with the battery disconnected as it can damage it - that's if its not already damaged !!  . How will I pay  you for your efforts and how can you get it to me . My telephone number is 01444 458395.

Many thanks Terry   

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »
Denis has a great site and knows everything about french cars, there's even a forum.

http://www.microcarfan.com/
http://microcafan.xooit.fr/index.php

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »
Hi Terry. The electrics seam to be the weakness with these cars, they have electronic breakerless ignition which was unusual for the time period. If it will not spark after you have checked the wiring do not despair, the same system is used on a Lambretta scooter so you will be able to get parts from a classic scooter parts dealer. I can get more details of the unit if you need it.  Bob

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
 :) Hi Bob and Blob

Thank you both for the information . It's good to know that there are people around who know something about the Willam. I had only seen a yellow Crayford model (250cc engine ) and  a Fourgonnette at past National rallies.
I'm sure to have a number of questions once I start delving.

The ignition does  spark when the engine turns over so maybe the control box is OK. However nothing else electrical seems to work other than the starter . So far I have only cleaned the fuse box terminals  and replaced the fuses so there must still be a number of dodgey connections. Once again I don't want to disturb things  until I have the  copy  of the circuit diagram Mike kindly says he can provide to give me some form of reference. Otherwise knowing me I'm bound to inadvertently transpose something. I once burnt out a Siba control box that way !! The flames and smoke were quite memorable !!

The videos on the link were excellent . I had no idea the French produced so many marques. A number of us with Bonds have  holidayed with them in France towing them behind our motorcaravans and then using them as our day vehicles and  for sight seeing. No wonder we have always received such a good and enthusiastic reception wherever we went.

Once again thanks for the information.

Regards Terry   

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:57:03 PM »
Terry
I also have a Lawil but it is a 250cc from the late 1970's
I am trying to find out exactly when it was made so that I can register it with an age related plate.  It is quite hard to find much out.
Any information on chassis numbers with corresponding registration dates would be a great help.
I have been trying to contact people in Italy as the 250cc didn't seem to be distributed in France.
The website that Denis has contains the most detailed information so far.
In France at least, the wheels changed from 8" to 10" in the late 70's and the front wheel arches became round in about 1980 I think
My MOT man says that if it is 1981 it will need seat belts.
He is going to MOT it as a quadracycle - ????

Where abouts are you?  You are welcome to call-in and crawl all over my car.  Whatever help I can give, I will.

I can take any photos that you that and send them by email however, I am not sure just how different the 250cc is to the 125.

I know Mike has a lot of literature on this car and this should be a great help to you.

Good luck

Barry

barry@vividimage.demon.co.uk

• Just Starting
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
Hi Barry

Thanks for offer of help.

I afraid it is probably not much help to you but on the French paperwork I have with my 125 cc William it says it was manufactured in 1972 with a chassis number 3639 . The original French registration number is 364 PJ 56.

I am not sure you are correct about the wheel  size change in France as mine  has 10" wheels - the tyres being 4.00 x 10. The wheels look original.. The wheel arches are I guess squarish but I don't know what the round ones look like .

My Willam looks just like the illustration ( appart from condition!) of 'City' shown in the manual Mike kindly copied for me.

I live just outside Cuckfield in West Sussex.

Best of luck.

Regards Terry

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »
Terry
You are only about an hour and a half away.

You will have to look at the microcarfan site for a picture of the round arches - I was pretty sure that that's where I saw the note on 8" wheels - maybe not.

I am glad that you have got some literature from Mike, I don't have anything 'physical' yet but will gradually collect some original data.

Good luck

Barry

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 04:53:06 PM »
Terry, Can we have your Lawil  on the Register please?
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »
Willam on eBay in France

Barry

Steed

• Just Starting
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
Hi we live near billingshurst West Sussex england is this near you? We have just got a willam

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
i will ask the moderators to start this again perhaps . Dear Terry , a great Bonder died two years ago now
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Steed

• Just Starting
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
Oh very sorry to hear that thank you and again sorry