Author Topic: Remember this ebay schmitt...  (Read 34585 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Remember this ebay schmitt...
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
Dan, I visit Dallas sometimes for work, and some of our parts are made in Fort Worth, so next time I get to US I hope to see and ride in your wonderfully ridiculous car
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »
Sounds like a plan! I put the engine back in yesterday, so progress is still being made.

So the next World Micro Car Meet is in 2010?

Dan

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »
Dan, look here for a schedule of things you might be interested in:
http://microcar.org/meets.html

Jawmedead

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 09:34:26 PM »
Here's a name for the car. 

FRANKENSCHMITT DNA    =    Dr Noose's Abnormality.   ;D

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 01:07:26 AM »
Hey all! It started tonight! It did not run great, or for long, but start it did. Sweet! Based on the few seconds of run-time, the engine sounded solid. Now I just have to figure out the vagaries of the 3 coil DKW ignition system.

Dan

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »
Great news...IT"S ALIIIIIVE !

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 09:06:39 AM »
Congratulations.  The first sound of an engine coming to life after so many years is music, and I bet you had a great big smile on your face.    :)
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »
Congratulations! I'm getting an image in my head of a laboratory, lightning conductors, huge induction coils, six foot wide wimshurst machine discs, sparking electrodes and all things necessary to jumpstart the monster!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »
Throw the switch, Igor
(I once knew a band called Igor's Night Off...what a great band name!)

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »
Hey all. Since I cannot put the exhaust back on until it is painted, I decided to paint it this weekend. I posted up pictures of it in progress. I can't wait to drive this thing. I also go the clutch hooked up and the carbie rebuilt. Wiring is the biggest thing still keeping it off the road. I had better get busy..car show season is here!

Later!
Dan

www.frankenschmitt.com

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 02:04:56 PM »
Hey, I finally got to see Dans pictures by using a different computer. Great progress! I was wrong when I said it would never see tarmac! I'm amazed at the trouble the builder went to to put this together although I still wonder why! I was not wrong about it easily being able to be put back to a schmitt though. Rob and Stuart are mistaken about it being too far gone and saying there was not much left of the original car, a large proportion of it was there and the rust situation was the same as a lot of schmitts that are now restored including my own, all the rotted panels are available new. Still Dans has made his decision and is doing a sterling job! As the USA is the home of the custom car and hot-rods, this is certainly in the right place. Throw the switch Igor and let the carnage commence!!

Jawmedead

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »
Hi Dan,

She's coming along fine.    Back in the 1970s a friend of mine painted his Triumph Spitfire III with a roller. Not a bad finish too.

What is the paint you used, Coach Enamel or ordinary house paint?  Keep up the good work.  ;D

Rob.

PS. I'm toying with the idea of fitting a tail and rotor to a Peel P50. A little 'Horrocopter'  ::)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:16:11 PM by Jawmedead »

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 12:31:52 AM »
Hi Dan,

She's coming along fine.    Back in the 1970s a friend of mine painted his Triumph Spitfire III with a roller. Not a bad finish too.

What is the paint you used, Coach Enamel or ordinary house paint?  Keep up the good work.  ;D

Rob.

PS. I'm toying with the idea of fitting a tail and rotor to a Peel P50. A little 'Horrocopter'  ::)

Don't takre my one for your projekt mate!  :o :o :o

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 01:41:14 AM »
Hi Dan,

Rob.

I thought about this for a while today... a P50 does kinda look like a 'copter. I would want to go for a ride. I also thought it might look cool to put a rotor on top of a Trident. Maybe with a suction cup.

Dan

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 01:43:41 AM »
I am using Rust-oleum Oil based enamel. Thin it out like car paint, and it goes on smooth. I did my daughter's Pacer like this a year ago, and after you color-sand it, it looks really nice. Plus, the paint seems to hold up very well. Best part? The whole paint job costs about $70. And it does not take any longer than spraying at home. Much less mess as well!

Dan