Author Topic: Morning guys  (Read 4013 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
Morning guys
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »
Err...hi. I just figured id go introduce myself.

Iv accidently became the proud owner of THIS twing a few days ago when i found it in a junk yard and decided that it must be a cool idea to go rescue it, whatever the hell it is.

I normally play around with beetles, i have a rodded beetle as a daily. So i was not exactly a natural bubble car owner. But...you know...i got bored and figured that any car saved from a junk yard is a good thing. I had no idea that it was actually 50 yrs old and pretty rare. When i first saw it, i thought (oh dear...70's...). I didnt know they did wierd looking stuff like this in the 50's.

When i got it EVERYTHING was siesed solid, engine box clutch steering hubs brakes etc. Now iv played with it a couple of days, everything moves and she rolls steers starts and runs, but dont drive yet, gearbox dont wanna go into many gears for some reason.

Trying to get it some paperwork now through the owners club, and then get it on the road.

So...here it is

Hello...

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Morning guys
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:39:27 AM »
Hello there, as you probably know by now you have a Scootacar, made by the Hunslett Engine Co who made railway engines, I guess you must be either in the Eastern US, or a very early riser. Well done for saving it, and good luck with it
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jawmedead

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
Hi adi,
Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on saving a great microcar from the crusher. It looks in reasonable condition too! Better than money in the bank!!  Keep us informed how you get on with it. The VW looks good as well.
Rob D.

Marcus: It doesn't look like USA to me?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:50:57 AM by Jawmedead »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »
 What more proof do we need that things such as this are still out there to find!  Welcome abourd and congratulations.....   :)

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
heh...yay!

im in south dorset, uk at the moment.

I just have a habit of saying good morning no matter what time it is...since it always feels like morning  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, i alredy traced this through the owners club, and also found a reference to it in the council history archives. It seems that this was a local car here from day one, and im the 3rd owner.

the 1st owner was some lady from Sherbourne, Dorset, and the 2nd owner was the junk yard itself, and now im the 3rd. 3 owners for 50 yrs isnt so bad.

The car came with no paperwork and with expired registration, but luckily since proof of this cars existence exists (the owners club got records including a photo, and i found the original licensing document at the council archives) then looks like the car might get to keep its original registration number.

Hers some pretty funny photos...the poor little car is dwarfed...by a chopped beetle...which isnt so big...so the scootacar is really really small  ;D

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:01:51 PM by adi »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:21:06 PM »
My mistake, I assumed from your language (guys, junk yard cool etc) that you are American. Or maybe you are, but in UK !

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »
Hehehe, yeah, iv lived in too many places, my English is all confused. I learnt English in Wisconsin, and these things stick with you, although iv lived in the uk for a while so i SHOULD really have got used to it by now...but you know...

Anyway, hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
One other thing, is your Scootacar registered with RUM ? If you had not saved it, it might have gone, and one aim of the register is to keep a record of all micros, so that if they are ever stolen, up for scrapping, lost etc, then there is a chance that the car or its  "identity" can be saved. As an owner myself i would advise this strongly. Jean Hammond runs the register

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »
err...i havnt even herd of RUM intil a few days ago. Sounds like a good idea!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »
Great find you've done well. These have become quite popular of late, the ride is an acquired taste, although I haven't seen a project Scootacar in reasonable condition for a while.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:04:13 PM by blob »