Author Topic: body off!  (Read 3023 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
body off!
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »
Ugh...i FINALLY got the damn body off.

I was there on my own, and as you can see there isnt any ramps or any other decent equipment, its just a crappy little garage with a load of beetle junk everywhere, so it was a real pain to get the body off. eventually i managed tho...and without breaking anything much either. I bashed the skirting a little, but its not major, will clean that up before i respray it, shouldnt cause problems.

Hmm...now the old dillema again...por15 or hammerite...

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: body off!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
You have come this far, why not strip the rest down, sand blast and paint?

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »
Well, im gonna strip off anything thats removable, but i wont take the floor pan off, thats too much effort, ill try to repair it in situ, still on the schassis.

Once i got everything off the schassis, ill probably put some rust eater jelly on it, and when its back to bare shiny metal, either hammerite or por15 it.

Thats the plan so far anyway.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:34:37 PM »
I would also suggest a cautious approach, because the chassis does need to be reasonably strong, and you might just do the outside surfaces without knowing what's going on inside, particularly in the tubular parts. I would be inclined to drill small holes in the tubular parts to inject Waxoyl (or similar) to reduce any future internal deterioration, keep up the good work anyway!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »
I have never tried the rust eating jelly, is it very effective? I used Jenolite fluid extensively when restoring the schmitt, very good stuff! I found a local sand blaster recently who is very reasonable, in fact I have just taken my dismantled Motobi Catria to them for blasting. My car project is on hold at present so I'm taking the opportunity to finish the bike. I have a photocopied Scootacar manual you can borrow and copy if its any use, or do you already have one? 

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »
OOOH...literature! That would be awesome, a manual would be very useful indeed.

Rust eating jelly is alright.  It does the job pretty well, its abit messy tho, gotto hose it off. Only difference is unlike sand blasting, it only gets rid of rust, and not dirt, so you have to brush it down first.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:42:55 PM »
Adi, I left you a personal message about the manual.   Bob