Author Topic: Verdict required  (Read 2126 times)

smartmark

• Just Starting
Verdict required
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:58:59 PM »
Not sure if this is an old topic or not but.......

Can i have opinions on Smart cars, do they fall within your remit?

On the positive side

600cc or 700cc petrol engines or 800cc deisel engine mounted under boot floor.
part plastic bodywork.
quirky interier design.
2 seats and minimal luggage.
most components, not where you would expect them to be on a conventional car.

as they used to say on exam papers ...... "discuss"

Mark

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Verdict required
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:04:21 PM »
Hi Mark. I just noticed that nobody replied to your posting. Its a difficult question really. I personaly view them as more of a minicar, after all you have to have a full car licence to drive one, they weigh too much to qualify as a quadracycle. At the end of the day who qualifies to set the boundary line as to what is and what isnt a microcar? That fact that no one replied  proberbly  indicates that we dont know the answer! Now if you had asked do microcar folk like the Smart then I for one would say a resounding YES!!  and I think most other contributors to this forum would agree.  Best wishes, Bob P

Neil Hoskins

• Occasional
  • NoJags Neil
Re: Verdict required
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:35:37 PM »
The lady wife & I have a Smart as well as a Ligier.  They are both, in their way, the best thing since sliced bread, but are very different beasts. The Smart weighs the best part of a tonne, wheras the Ligier is 350kg.  The Smart is given full-sized wheels for traction and high-speed roadholding, and this leads to very heavy steering without the addition of hydraulics.  The Smart is bristling with all the latest technology, and is fully "fly by wire", wheras the Ligier is decidedly lo-tech.  Having said that, I understand that people take Fiat 500s and Trabants to microcar rallies...

There are plenty of Smart clubs around, although these tend to be hugely more commercial than the microcar clubs.  On the whole, I think I'm happy to keep the two things separate, for the time being.