Author Topic: goggomobil  (Read 2924 times)

jim white

• Just Starting
goggomobil
« on: April 02, 2009, 07:48:19 PM »
Hi, I own a goggomobil coupe that has to have its front & rear windscreens re fitted, I have new rubbers & new locking strips that are made of alloy, Ive been told to fit the rubbers on the glass with the locking strips fitted in the rubbers then offer it all up to the car using a piece of string to pull the rubber into place. The usual practice on a mini is to fit a locking strip last but then they are made of plastic not alloy. Has anyone bad any experience fitting these screens? Jim.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: goggomobil
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »
Not sure about Goggos, but I always assumed you put the strip in after installing glass and rubber as the slot for the locking strip is what gives sufficient flexibility to fit it. I do have a Locking Strip hook which I can lend if necessary. Whatever method, take your time, be careful, and keep a swear box close to hand!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

jim white

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »
All the locking strips that Ive fitted in the past had to go in last but they were very flexible plastic,  these are long straight lengths of soft alloy extrusion that arrived from Uwe Staufenberg in cardboard tubes, If have understood him correctly you fit the locking strips in the rubber before the rubber is fitted in the car, most odd. Thanks for the offer of the hook but I have one. Jim

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
Could be designed to work that way, you probably will get a reply from a Goggo user soon!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »
Could be designed to work that way, you probably will get a reply from a Goggo user soon!

I doubt it.
I am have a Goggo and I can't help you.

you might want to check the Goggomobil forum for a quicker answer from Goggo enthusiasts who have done this before:
http://www.goggomobil.net
don't be put off because of all the German, post in English and you will get a reply in English.  Or something close to it.

karonut

• Occasional
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 08:42:05 AM »
Hi I used to fit windscreens in to Leyland cars in the seventies when I started work.  Minis & 1100/1300's used to be fitted with the glass first and then the trim later with the special tool messerschmitt's are the same, any other cars which had a "thinner" rear piece of screen rubber the bit that comes inside the aperture I think that an Allegro did (and we did plenty of those) this screen would be fitted using a nylon cord inserted into the groove in the rubber and overlapped by approx 6-12 inches at the top centre of the screen, then the screen put in place a someone holding and pressing the screen from the outside while another pulls one side of the string from the other, if there is a trim in this type of rubber it may be easier to fit it first.

Windscreen companies will fit your glass for you if you want them too

Good
1960 Messerschmitt KR200, 1957 Messerschmitt KR200, 1961 Messerschmitt KR200 Sport.