Author Topic: Segway/GM Microcar  (Read 3308 times)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
Segway/GM Microcar
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Segway/GM Microcar
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:50:34 AM »
Interesting, and like the Segway technically it is a good achievement. Butt to my mind the Segway concept has a central flaw though, you need heavy gyroscopes and a fair bit of electric power just to make it stay vertical. This adds a lot of complicated components and mass to the vehicle, and limits the speed/range. For me a bike is a lot cheaper, easier to load in a car, and all-round a better means of basic transport. I would love to see more basic transport encouraged, but just do not believe the Segway is likely to be a mass-market solution. Please prove me wrong!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »
Butt to my mind the Segway concept has a central flaw though, you need heavy gyroscopes and a fair bit of electric power just to make it stay vertical.

"heavy" gyroscopes?  There are 5 of them and they are all solid state and fairly small.
What they add to the package is relatively insignificant.

Personally I think it is the new Mini-Comtessa.  Count the wheels!
(outriggers count, just like on the Mini-Comtessa)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:54 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great technical accomplishment, but the total weight of the machine is a limiting factor in my opinion, I would hate to have to lift one on to a roof-rack or in to a car boot! I consider that 2 in-line wheels is the perfect layout for basic transport, and does not need an extra level of components and energy requirements. I would love to have one, and wish it success, but in my opinion bicycles, mopeds, scooters and micro/bubblecars already provide all the answers between walking and full size cars. Electric bikes make riding easy, but if/when the batteries lose punch you can still pedal home. IF the Segway design persuades a few areas to pride alternative road space for very small vehicles (including all the existing options) then that will be a big step forwards in easing congestion and pollution
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face