Author Topic: Madison Georgia  (Read 15613 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Madison Georgia
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »
 Any other time I'd have signed up for this trip to Georgia & the Weiner collection on the spot, as that is one of the places on my "hit list" of places to see in this lifetime (the other being Automuseum Story) but as the Invalid Carriage Register is currently booked to invade the World Micro Meet in Chicago in August 2010, I'm having to save the Weiner trip until then.

Anyone else doing the World Micro Meet or is myself & the ICR going to be the sole representative for the entire UK?!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »
Dear Stuart

This is the first I have heard of the WORLD MICRO MEET, in Chicago, so thank you for the info and I will investigate further. Certainly Chicago is a fine city but not renown for Microcars. Unless they have changed things I do not remember seeing any in the city museum of science and industry and there may be one out at the Volo auto museum. Provided at least one of us gets to each of the events then we will at least be represented.

You should always plan ahead then plan ahat.

Chris Thomas

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »
Anyone else doing the World Micro Meet or is myself & the ICR going to be the sole representative for the entire UK?!

I can't represent the UK but I do intend to haul at least one vehicle bearing a RUMCars sticker to Chicago next year.  If it's any consolation, I'll tow it with a British car.  The trip is only about 2000 miles each way from my place:

Mike Harrell
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
I thought we had discussed the World Micromeet on the forum, on reflection I think it was on a private email with Jim. Ken had been peddling the idea for some time to a mainly indifferent micro audience. I'm sure it will be a great American event but as far as being a world rally, when did Ken last bring one of his cars over to Europe for a rally? Why does he expect us to ship ours to the states for this one? I wish it every success but its just a Rally and not a WORLD rally. If a real WORLD rally was to be staged wouldn't it have to be in Europe where the vast majority of microcars were produced and still are? I guess Story Germany was the closest thing we will see to one. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 08:53:59 PM »
I must admit I tend to agree with you Bob. Yes it's a World Rally in the sense that people and cars from around the world are welcome, but then again I know of know of NO micro car rally anywhere in the world which is closed to other nationalities!
 But I also was a-thinking about how the majority of micros originated in Europe and Asia, and until relatively recently they were largely shunned and ignored in America, where now they are avidly collected, like curios or antiques.
Soon there may be more micros than there in Europe, and their rallies will be bigger than anything in Europe or Asia, but I still do not think that American rallies in the future will be any more "World" than anyone else's, however big their rallies may become.
Our National Micro Car Rally sometimes refers to itself as International because it has many non-British attendees, achievable because continental Europe is so close. To my ears World Rally implies that it is the ONLY major rally in the world, but very few from beyond North America will be able to attend, therefore the name is a bit of an exaggeration. Kind of like The World Series, which only has North American teams!
Still, the main thing is that people are interested and that any shows anywhere are enjoyable and successful
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
Dear Jim

I have arranged with Vicky for a behind the scenes visit to the Lanes Motor museum in Nashville before driving down to Madison and the Microcar event at Bruce's Microcar Museum. Are there any other car museums or places of interest worth visiting that are on route?

The flights are booked and the car awaiting me so I will be there in Madison, but will you be there? Or is that a silly question?

As you have seen I have not been able to encourage anybody to come with me. I think my socks must smell or something. Sorry about that.

Chris Thomas

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »
yes I will be there, I am organizing it.

don't forget to register if you have not already:
http://microcar.org/2009

I think you will find your day rather full if you plan to get to Madison by dinner time as you will be driving through Atlanta during a very busy time.
Dinner will be at 6-7pm onsite.
So I don't think you will have time for much of anything else on Friday, not that I have any suggestions anyways.

The Museum building should be open until maybe 8 or 9pm Friday, I have to check and see.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
Dear Jim

Thank you for that additional information. You have been keeping a low profile regarding organising the event. However I could not conceive of you not being heavily involved.

See you there

Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
Hi Guys

Just to let you know that you missed one hell of a good event in Madison Georgia over the weekend, 94 Microcars + 26 Smarts plus over 200 cars in Bruce's Museum on display, 2 road runs of about 25 miles, 380 great people who attended the rally. Plenty of food and drink, plenty of space. It all started Friday morning and finished Sunday afternoon.  What more could you want? Less rain!

My thanks to Bruce Weiner who makes it all happen, and to our Jim for the management of the event. Together they make a great team. But without the enthusiasts there would be no event, so thank you to them also. Hopefully some will make it over to our Rumcar Celebration Weekend event.

Chris Thomas

PS. I traveled home with the CEO of the Mercedes Benz plant in Alabama, who gave me the good news that Button had won in Monaco (USA is a Formula one black hole). He had previously run the MB racing engine factory so had a keen interest in the result.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:31 AM »
Hi Guys

If you are interested there is a short video walk about of most of the cars at the rally on this web site http://www.microcar.org/2009/

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »
Thanks Chris
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face