Author Topic: NJT598 back in progress  (Read 1979 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
NJT598 back in progress
« on: May 23, 2009, 04:28:05 PM »
Unfortunatly, for the last couple of weeks i had to temporarily exile the bubble car as i thought id be changing a type3 engine.

I got a new daily driver, a VW type 3, and when i drive it home 300 miles it was running really rough and generally not behaving, i thought the heads are gone for sure, and probably the pistons/bores too, so i freed up the workshop and temporarily moved the bubble car next door. The guy there is a scooter person so he was kind of happy to lend a corner of the workshop to a scootacar for a while.

But when i got it home, all problems were traced to a broken vac pipe and old leaky HT leads, so now i have a perfectly running Type 3 as a daily driver (and i paid stupid low money for it too).

And im happy to report that after a period of inactivity, the bubble car project is going again, the bubble car is back in the workshop, and im continuing the work on it,

Latest job is to fix a cracked front hub casting. I tried both low-temp alloy solder and alloy MIG welding, but neither could get enough heat into a casting that thick to penetrate/stick properly, so i gave up and took it to someone else, since i dont have a TIG welder yet (been meaning to get one for a while tho).

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: NJT598 back in progress
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
Looks pretty good, and look forward to hearing more about your project
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face