Author Topic: Lombardini parts for Ligier  (Read 10199 times)

Neil Hoskins

• Just Starting
  • NoJags Neil
Lombardini parts for Ligier
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:16:59 PM »
Around 18 months ago I SORN'd my Ligier Ambra because I couldn't afford some parts I needed.  Ligier wanted 301 Euros for a thermostat housing and 69.85 Euros for the thermostat.  I'm now in a financial position to be able to afford that, but I thought I'd do a bit of shopping around first (I think I did that originally but didn't come up with anything).  Anyway, I just got the housing for £13.36 and the thermostat for £18.62 from Arlco Power in Gloucester - www.arlcopower.com.  If you do the conversions, that's at least a 2000% markup on the housing.

I don't think there are many Ligier owners that hang out here, but I'm posting this in the hope that it gets picked-up by Google and may save other Ligier owners unnecessary grief.  Ligier are clearly a bunch of thieves; if anybody wants a French microcar, I'd look at Microcar or Aixam and forget Ligier.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Lombardini parts for Ligier
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »
Thanks for the link Neil. I drive a Microcar Virgo with a petrol Lombardini engine and I'm also fed up with microcars ripp off spares prices, I will give these people a try.    Bob

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
Good idea Neil, does not affect me, but well done and put in some pics when it's all done.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
Neil, Is yours a diesel or petrol?

CompoSimmonite

• Occasional
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »
I had an Aixam 500 and cann't recommend them either.
Horrendous parts prices was the reason i decided to sell as things like new lights, service items etc would have cost more then it's worth when MOT due.
To be fair mine was a '99 / V reg bought for £150 with 8 months MOT & tax when previous owner had got fed up of it too.
When it was running it was acceptable but previous experience of Reliants showed they are far superior than the current B1 "subsitutes".

Paul H
('83 Microcar RJ125)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
Hello there! That's actually the first owner's impression of Aixam that I have come across, not very inspiring!

CompoSimmonite

• Occasional
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
Hello there! That's actually the first owner's impression of Aixam that I have come across, not very inspiring!

Chap who bought mine had another and was going to make good one out of the two  ::)
The bodywork was very fragile in places and easily split. The main panels were very resilient though.
Seats were terrible. Drivers had broken and been re-welded before so I binned it and adapted a pair out of a Fiat to fit. Not perfect as a little too high but far more comfortable. Back seat was a joke and I removed it for more load area. Despite only been a few years old a lot of the paint had flaked off the subframe with resulting rust everywhere. Tyres were special Michelins and expensive. Other than engine service items for the Kubota diesel engine everything else was main agent only. Door interior trims are bonded on meaning virtually impossible to get "non destructive" access for broken door lock and electric window motor - both of which my car was afflicted with. Constant leaks from windscreen which is bonded in so difficult to reseal.
To be fair reliable and very economical though. In the end I realised that despite amazing mpg I preferred driving my old MKII Granada and it sat unused for a year before I decided to sell.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »
Sounds like Composimmonite bought the cheapest oldest and crummiest Axaim avalible, no wonder it gave grief! Is it fair to judge them all on the basis of such a basement level purchase? I have not owned an Axaim but im told the first rule with any of the three makes[microcar, axaim, Ligier] is dont buy the deisel, but the petrol version, I test drove a Microcar deisel and it was painfully slow, almost undrivable. I bought a Microcar Virgo five years ago and it has been a joy to own,its petrol obviously and the Lombardini engine is a superb and very robust power unit, very fast acceleration, too fast really for the brakes but the later models had a brake upgrade.Parts from microcar are horredously expensive but many items can be sourced elswhere, quite a few parts from Citreon are used etc. To be honest nothing has worn out on my car in the five years, I have had to replace things like brake pads and air/oil filters, its still running on its original drive belt. These cars are not for everyone, they have there design faults, the transmission for example is very crude, I paid just under 5K for mine five years ago and I guess its worth about 1K now and will probably level out not much short of this for years now. I think I have had me' money's worth!

CompoSimmonite

• Occasional
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »
Sounds like Composimmonite bought the cheapest oldest and crummiest Axaim avalible, no wonder it gave grief! Is it fair to judge them all on the basis of such a basement level purchase?

My Aixam was under 6 years old and less than 20,000 miles. Visually it looked OK and I challenge anyone not to be tempted when the owner (a friend of a friend) was so sick of it they just wanted £150. The gearbox had failed 6000 before (but under warrantee) and main dealer diagnosed it had failed again. Quote for repairs was nearly £1000 with over £600 alone for the gearbox so you can understand previous owner cutting their losses and getting rid so cheap.
Turned out to be the variator hadn't been Loctited onto the shaft when the dealer fitted the new gearbox and had come loose . A bit of machining on my lathe sorted out the damage and the bore sleeved to fit without the expensive parts. Still cost around £150 in misc bits though. Engine mounts were ripped apart due to the engine vibrations causing exhaust to break. Steering column lower joint was split and it required virtually a subframe dropping to change - one of the reasons I sold it as I was sick of it too.
I agree that the pertol units are a better choice no matter what manufacturer. The diesel in my Aixam was painfully slow and very noisy. Vibrations shook the whole car. Also a common problem is cutting out on sharp right hand turns. Seems it's something to do with it being an industrial engine designed for constant installation and the "G" force of right hand turns does something inside the injector pump to make it cut out. No real cure and not every vehicle affected. A search of web sites will see Microcar are probably the best make with Aixam being worse. One person has a fully documented web site outlining all the problems they had from new with an Aixam and the court action to get recourse from the dealer.

BTW My current Microcar RJ125 has a two stroke 125cc motorbike liump  :o

Paul H
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:23:54 PM by CompoSimmonite »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »
Obviously it is not fair to judge the car by a dealer's mistake, but it still does not inspire confidence. Noise, vibration, low speed and other problems are something people can tolerate in a classic, but for a modern car people do have higher expectations and modern designers and manufacturers do have to consider that.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »

Blimey! So they really are that bad then? Glad I opted for a Virgo. Tell us more about this 125cc conversion please. Any pictures?