Author Topic: Pod microcar ?  (Read 4303 times)

CompoSimmonite

• Occasional
Pod microcar ?
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »
On eBay a couple of months ago was a microcar kit of parts that was basically a cab that bolted onto the rear of a modern scooter.
I cann't find the auction details anymore but this is the sellers "blurb" -

This is an auction for Pod 003 and Pod 005 so in fact there are two trikes that can be built or one set of GRP panels maybe kept as spares. There are the parts and identity to build one front end straight away. The concept behind this trike is that it provides cheap, dry, economical commuter transport by using a crashed scooter, thereby recycling and being all green. Fine until SVA turned up getting all picky and making being green pretty much a waste of time and spoiling everyones fun into the bargain. Thus Pods are rare and the mould tool has been scrapped. This is a viable one as I had the sense to gain a Q plate registration that pre dates all the nonesense allowing this trike to be built to the simple rules adjudged by you friendly MOT man. The Pod itself is created by using the flat packed spaceframe, pictured, but assembled and welded by you. The front suspension is based on that of a Messerschmitt bubblecar. Why re invent something that works and is available brand new? The 'Schmitt uses very small cable brakes so the prototype Pod was put onto a conversion using the Schmitt kingpin yolk with Vespa discs mounted on. This was relativily simple though your own design can be used. Steering is by steering bar and much like a go kart/Messerschmitt. All these parts are available new. Onto this very ridged steel cell are mounted the 5 GRP body panels, as pictured loose bolted together. The screen is cut down Ford Mondeo from the dump. Sidescreens optional but can be perspex. A Huntsman seat is included along with various other fittings I have sourced. There is an alternative suspension and crossmember from the second car, pictured, and a pair of 8 inch wheels, though 10 inch fit just as well under the wings and offer a more interesting choice of tyres. Clearly the Vespa route allows the use of some nice looking Vespa wheels. A completed Pod therefore requires you to supply power and a rear wheel. This is provided by a Scooter of your choice that has been knobbed into something and lost the front wheel - cheap in other words! The frame is cut at the steering yoke and a plate mounted to corrispond with the one on the Pod spaceframe and the two married together with machine steel fastners or weld. You then fit the electrics, degree of difficulty purely a product of the choice of your donor scooter. The Prototype had a CN250 Honda I believe. Gilera or is Garreli 180 and Bergman have been mentioned. Anyway the finished item is pretty sprightly and handles well if you stick closely to the length of a Messerschmitt so your Akeman angle is correct for handling. If the Scooter seat remains you can even have a pillion passinger or two, bit Stimson Scorcher.

Width, 1230mm, by Hieght, 1000mm, by length - nominally 1730mm but vehicle dependant on the machine used to power it.

There were also pics of the parts and body but I'm not sure how to post them.

Anyone ever heard of the Pod before ?

Paul H
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:12:01 AM by CompoSimmonite »

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Pod microcar ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »
These were being sold by Alan Hitchock who can be contacted here: alanbubblecars@hotmail.com unfortunately I failed to turn up any more information on them, they were listed as 'Church Pods' and quite interesting too.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:37:21 PM »
Hi Paul. I had never heard of this before but it all sounds quite interesting. If you can get the pictures onto photobucket then post by means of pasteing the IMG code. I would love to see them.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:57:14 PM »
 Alan's still got both Pod's & as far as I know, they are still avalible. I'll be seeing Alan Saturday so I'll check with him then. Meanwhile, here's a couple of pictures of the body of Pod 005 which as can be seen is built up & just needs the rest built round it. Pod 003 is the flat-pack white one which I've seen but not photographed.

CompoSimmonite

• Occasional
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »
At the time of the auction I contacted the seller (Alan) and said I'd be intersted in buying the white "flat packed" body.
The reply was that neither were sold on eBay and a mate of his was interested in the red one so the white MIGHT be avaliable seperate.
I've heard nothing since.
When you see him mention I'd still be interested in just the body of the white one.

Paul H