Author Topic: Microcar Museum at Byards Leap  (Read 7142 times)

micronaut

• Occasional
Microcar Museum at Byards Leap
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »
Has anyone visited the New Microcar Museum in Byards Leap as on there web site it says opens on May 22nd, but there are no other updates? So can anyone enlighten me as to whether it is open or not? Or better still visited and can comment on how the updated version looks looking forward to any replies

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Microcar Museum at Byards Leap
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »
Hi Micronaut. I just got back from the museum today, the MEC and Hienkel trojan club both held there AGM's there this afternoon plus the MEC rally was there this weekend. I can report that its open and the main gallery is totally reworked featuring nearly all British cars. The second gallery at the rear is still being prepared. There are 1950/60's style shop window displays and despite there being far fewer cars on display still looks very good! A most enjoyable weekend.

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:34:02 PM »
Hi Bob
         You did not mention your "son" the teenager - who you took with you -

The museum is well worth a visit again and the is a lot more  as well as the cars - to see like a 50/60's garage and a living room and kitchen complete with 50's Bakelite TV and frige and sink as well as the shop fronts - well done Mike and Paula

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »
Oh yes, the teenage son was with me, shame he hasn't inherited my good looks or those of his goggo driving grandfather for that matter! Ho ho!! Never mind Blob, we are only jealous. Its only a matter of time before they allow you to buy fireworks! What a fun weekend we had though at Bayards Leap, the Saturday run was to an air show where we saw stunt flying plus a brief visit from a WW11 Spitfire swooping around the airfield with that distinctive Merlin rumble! The road run was a real pleasure with nice flat Lincolnshire roads however there was one scary moment where all the bubbles had to ford a stream avoiding the danger of floating off down river! All crossed safely and I resisted the temptation to stop and get a hair dryer out and dry the underside of Primrose! On the way to the air show the tail of my schmitt was wagging around a little which turned out to be because it only had 12psi of air in it. I pumped it up to 40 and I was back in a straight line again. Me and young Mike started out behind John Hunt in his souped up cabriolet which was most unpleasant as he had forgoten to bring his twostroke oil with him so had thrown some engine oil in the mix resulting in gassing everyone behind him, we managed to get in front and made sure he didn't pass us. All part of the fun!!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:16:16 PM »
40psi?  bit high isn't it?  the middle of your tyre shortly will resemble the top of your head I fear!   
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »
Dear P50

I run my Insight tyres at 40 psi and it does not result in a bald tyre as you might think. Firstly on a light vehicle the tyre wear is very slow. Secondly the higher pressure means there is less flexing and scrubbing so they last longer once the surface has settled in, provided you do not spin your wheels or lock your brakes up which is not very likly with Bob driving. Thirdly you fuel consumption will rise, requiring less energy to roll along.

Higher pressures does make for a more nervious ride but you soon adapt to the greater directional response it gives. Less wallow and wobble.

Provided the tyres are rated for 40 psi then no harm done.

Chris Thomas

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 10:52:49 PM »
Mechanical Elephants Again !!!

So thats  where you micro nuts got to , no Fathers Day for you then ! As well as working some of us were taking the intelligent approach &  reading the paper . In the Mail it mentioned that you can ride around the Port area of Nantes in France ( OLevel Geography ) on a 40'  tall elephant , its 24'wide & seats 49 people & It takes  45 minutes to Circuit the port  & travels at a quarter of mile an hour . If you get too close the passengers can spray you with water from the trunk . Does this remind anyone of anything recent , but on a smaller scale ? Pachyderms  forever !!!!
By the way it does not run on tyres , no matter what the pressure , but has feet that lift VERY SLOWLY .
  I think if it wanted to make Staplehurst by the Celebration Weekend it would have to start walking VERY soon .
                Looking forward to the Rumcar Celebration in July where I hope it could put names  with faces & real people.
                                                     Jackie p

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »
Hi all. I didn't expect the tyre pressure thing to perpetuate this tread but as it has I can add that my rear tyre is a six ply Vredestien which is designed for running on high pressures unlike the weedy michelin 4 ply's that some schmitt ownes bang on about. Admittedly they do last longer but thats about the only advantage I can see. [ many mistakenly think that michelins C's were original kit on these cars!  Not so .] I have driven behind you Perry a couple of times and your rear wags like a dog with a bone because of your 4 ply michelin with a lowish pressure on the back. Better to sacrifice a little wear and drive in a straight line I thinks! Chatting with John Hunt over the weekend [it was he who thought that young Planty was my son! :D], he is trying out one of the newly discovered Heideneau tyres from Germany on the back and its looking promising, it also has a deep tread so may last longer than a Vredestien. Fathers day? spare us please! Firstly I'm not a father and if I were I wouldn't fall for that commercially fabricated racket! ::)

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »
Hi Bob ,
      Much as many would appricate you words of wisdom on the differant tyre spec. my immediate thoughts are the individual configurationof the chassis ? Is it square , level , & has it been carefully checked ? Then are the wheels/ tyres  in balence & have they been balenced recently & of the correct pressure according to the handbook or manufactures  spec ?
           Until you are CERTAIN of the above then you really can dicuss tyres on a like for like basis .
                   I'm definately NOT a killjoy  but there are many cars & micros out there that are not running true & as they should .
   Many have been through the hands of what I can only describe as COWBOYS , so  propective purchasers always beware .
                      Cheers Jackie

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
Greetings Jackie.You make a fair point but what you have to understand is that rear tail wagging is a trait built into all schmitts. The way tyres were made in the fifties was different to modern ones [side wall rigidity] and whilst a car when new would run straight on an original Avon or Dunlop this is not the case with modern tyres, the MOC have experimented with all sorts and forward stability is always the issue. Can you see how using the manufacturers original recommended pressures on a single rear tyre would be a waste of time under these circumstances?  Square and level chassis, this doesn't appear to be so important on a three wheeler as a four wheeler, you often see a Nobel or Bond plus others with the single drive wheel at a slightly cockeyed angle with no adverse effect on the steering because its a free agent working on its own and not having to work as a pair with another wheel. Obviously having the front steering pair of wheels set up correctly is important as you indicate. Wheel balancing is not an issue on an eight inch wheel. Messerschmitts do not have a chassis but if they did mine would certainly not be twisted. In summery, we cannot go back in time and buy vintage tyres so we have to use ones with the right characteristics and if these characteristics come into play at 40psi this is what we have to do [The vredestien V54 trye can be inflated to 87psi!] . There has been a debate about all of this on the MOC forum for a couple of years now because the Michelin C tyre used by many has been discontinued and we are all experimenting with different tyres and reporting back. What do you drive Jackie?  Regards, Bob
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:05:26 PM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
A few years ago I asked Mike Shepherd why my Trojan seemed more wobbly than I expected he asked me what pressure I used in the back. When I told him I used that in the handbook he laughed and told me to pump it up more. It is much better now!
And yes Bob is right, a single wheel can be "wrong" but will not noticeably affect the car or even tyre wear if the wheels are rotated to different locations periodically. If it is leaning top to bottom then one side will wear more so rotation is wise. If it is twisted left to right the back of the car will be offset to left or right, but the front wheels will be set by the driver who might not even be aware that the car is "crabbing". The only really noticeable thing is that the steering lock may seem better one way than the other. I think a bit of increased wear is a small price to pay for extra stability and better cornering
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »
Ahh! Marcus, you understand me! You also put it much better than I could. It takes an inventer!

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
Hi Bob
          I think P50 is right and you  have pumped your rear tyre up to much - the handbook says 15 lbs for the front tyre and the rear tyre should be 25 - 30 lbs, I think 28 -35 should be good for your tyre but not  40 - how long does your rear tyre last? when I use my heinkel the tyre pressures I use are 22 for the front and 28 - 30 for the back - I change my tyres aroud the car quite regualy so I do not know if I'm wearing out the back tyre - the handbook says for the Heinkel/Trojan the front should be 20 and the rear 22 -24 lbs.
   I use my car but for you people who just unload it from the trailer show it and load it back onto the trailer again tyre pressure does not matter !!!!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »
Ooooo! How can you say that when you followed me across Lincolnshire for 80 miles just last Sunday!  So what your saying is that you over inflate your rear tyre too then if the book says 24 and you run it on 30? If you ask most Schmitt drivers the concensus will be to over inflate to improve stability, John who you spoke to at the weekend also runs on 40. I have driven the car for eight years and am still only on my second rear tyre.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:01:24 PM by Bob Purton »

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »
Hi All ,
     I do take your point Bob but  about the reinforced side walls on the modern tyre as a result of the EEC standerd , however the DREADED road humps were not around in the days when most microcars were popular, which is also a strain on the suspension even at slow speeds , not forgetting the amount of potholes too. If it strains the suspension , tyres etc , damage can & does occur even in the most  modern cars ,  so my thought is yes check your tyres for what you consider the correct pressure & point taken about not nessesarily the car hand book but as Mike suggests rotate the tyres & that way as well as balenceing them it  must help the ride .Over inflation must have a knock on effect on the suspension surely .Must be a trial & error thing depending on the car .Micros & Classic cars are special & need to be treated with care.... but there 's lots of fun too !
              AND it does'nt really matter if one micro is worth more than another , I just LIKE trojans they are MUCH more sociable than A Smit
                Awaiting your reply with interest