Author Topic: Rum car magazine  (Read 40122 times)

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
Re: Rum car magazine
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
Hi All
          I still not received mine - the last one arrived open, so I think someone is having a read first - maybe tomorrow or next week!!!!
                                                                                                                                                             Mike

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
I am interested to hear when RCN 102 arrived at the various destinations.  They were all despatched at the same time, my local postman picked them up from School House Farm all stamped up and ready to go at 9 am on Monday 28th September.  The only exception was the one I send to Jim Janecek which went Friday 25th September, that was handed in at Headcorn Post Office when I bought the stamps for all the others.  Have you received yours yet Jim?  Jean

actually I got mine on TUESDAY!
but I did not want to say anything when I saw everyone else having a problem with the local post.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »
Thanks Jim, interesting that it takes less time to get to USA (over a week-end) than the 50 miles to Goggo or myself in London!
I believe there is an international postal convention which has obligatory standards, so my hunch that international post is being prioritised seems to have validity.

Rowland Hill invented the postage stamp in UK and the Post Office was soon set up to distribute mail across UK and to the world. It was faster in the Victorian time of horse and dog carts and steam coaches and trains.

Rowland Hill must be turning in his grave.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »
Apparently this is what the royal mail will be using soon in London if not already. Could explain lack of RCN deliveries.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 08:44:52 PM »
I have not seen one yet, but it looks great.

Jawmedead

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
Having read of the moaning concerning the wait for Rumcar News after Jean had posted them I logged in to the Post Office Website.

Jean sends the UK editions by 2nd class and overseas editions by Airmail I believe.

The P.O. site shows that UK 2nd class post should take 3+ days for delivery and Airmail 3-5 days. So with Jim receiving his copy in 4 days and Marcus receiving his copy in 3 days the delivery is within the time scale stated.

Pity about your afternoon/evening delivery Marcus.  I'm lucky, mine is never later than 11.30am, sometimes arriving at 8.30am.  ;D ;D ;D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
I made my delivery 4 days, but the ruined oatcakes from 8 days in FIRST class post is really bad. I notified the company and they said they have had worse results; Stoke to Derby first class.....29 days, I'll bet that lot was developing eyes, limbs and intelligence by then!

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
Hi All
         I've not received mine yet - maybe next week - the postmen round here don't work on Saturdays - I noticed one of the papers saying ( Headline ) post this week for Christmas!!!
                                                                                                                        Still Waiting     Mike

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
The staff at the Sorting Office said that we could expect big strikes at Christmas.

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2009, 05:49:18 AM »
Mine arrived in Washington today (Saturday).  Plenty of good stuff in it, too.

Mike Harrell
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »
Hi All
           I'm still waiting --- waiting --- waiting ---  is anyboby out there still waiting for their copy ?
                                                                                                                                               Mike

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
My Rum Car News has arrived today - Monday , I am busily reading it now.
                                                                                                              Mike

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

This mail problem is getting worse: when I notified the shop who sent me the Oatcakes which had gone mouldy after 8 days in the post, they kindly sent me a free pack on Monday.     

It has not arrived, and by now they also will be rotten.

Another letter/small parcel was also sent to me on Monday and has not yet arrived, it is only urgent work so not as important as Oatcakes, but still annoying. I have had many letters and bills go astray so there is no doubt in my mind that the British postal service, once the envy of the world, is now the

ROYAL FAIL.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: Rum car magazine 1002
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »
I have just received with email from Fred Diwell from Australia.  It is nice to know that someone reads 'From the Register' even if they are the other side of the world! 

G'Day Jean,

Just to let you know some people do read RUM from cover to cover and noted your comment on page 3.
I personally have no hang-ups or objections to changes, that's a sign of the times, nothing stands still, particularly in this modern? society.
Changing the magazine name maybe only the start, have you seen Scootering magazine (a UK publication) look at it now compared to its early editions.

If I could, when I can, taking into account there are not enough hours in the day, or days in the week, I would like to add some comments / articles for inclusion.
At the moment,  my number one priority  is to get a WEB site up for our club, now having access to Web space with my new email server.

Will keep in touch, Fred.

Has anyone else got any comments to make the name of the magazine, its content and any other subject I raised, Tony and I would love to hear from you.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 01:25:55 PM »
Dear Jean

May I put my head, yet again above the parapet and say that I, like many readers, always read your article from top to bottom in each edition. But never more than once.

Now that  Alaster is "...firmly in charge of the Register of cars...." are we to assume that the title of your article will from now on be changed to something like "From the Bubble Shed" or "Down on the Farm"

Regarding the title of the magazine I am all in favour of changing the name to something like "Microcar World", before the Americans get there first. While the magazine started out to just inform the register members of what was going on, it is now more than that and is an informative publication in it's own right. With the web site forum, keeping the majority of register members up to date with news, which can be done so much quicker than by waiting to the next eition of the magazine, some might say why should we have a magazine. If we look at magazine content it should contain those elements that are not easily achieved on a web site, like longer informative articles with lots of images. Adverts for Micro related products and services, all things that have happened in the past or will not change in the future, authorative comment and new product launches.

The introduction of the internet has made the world of Microcars much more International ,and our interest in International vehicles and events, so having a magazine that is relevent to Microcar readers all over the world should generate a far larger readership. Whilst some may see the magazine being published in English as being restricted to only English Speaking countries, as a language it is far more easily understood than perhaps in some other languages.

I do not expect to ever see Microcar World magazine ever being sold in WH Smiths, but I do expect to see the readership rise if the name was updated.

Expecting a lot of flack
Chris Thomas