Author Topic: Rum car magazine  (Read 40123 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Rum car magazine
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »
I have not yet read my copy because of a huge backlog of work, but it is high on my to do pile!
Chris, you may have put your head above the parapet, but I see no need to shoot at it! It sounds fair comment to me.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2009, 10:18:22 PM »
The way I see it is like this. Rum cars was originally set up to cater for all the enthusiasts that own unusual and rare makes of microcar that do not have a one make club or organisation,  this group of enthusiasts is relatively small and hence the readership will also be comparatively small. If the powers that be wants to rename the mag "MIcrocar World" Would not this title suggest its about microcars in general and not about just unusual microcars? Is this a suggestion that we shift the magazines focus to all microcars to boost its popularity? This is an idea I'm not entirly opposed to! What I have always felt was lacking in RCN was in depth articles about technical issues and restoration accounts, the kind of thing you get in all the mainstream club mags. Thank goodness for Rob Dobies Gordon articles because that's all we have had in this vain for a long time. Themes like "is this forklift truck a microcar" are wearing a little thin. If the mag was opened up to mainstream makes it may be the breathe of fresh air that RCN needs and in turn open up readership to people with more common bubblecars. I hasten to add that unusual microcars should still be the main theme. Chris  and myself are relative Newbies so I'm wondering how the founder members would react to such a suggestion. Of course this may not have been what Chris was suggesting at all but never the less its a thought that could be discussed. What do you all think?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »
Dear Bob

I agree with what you suggest, especially as some of the other one make club magazines have either disappeared, or are struggling. The refreshing thing about Rumcar news is the breadth of the subject which no one make club magazine can hope to achieve.

Technical articles on the restoration aspects of each vehicle would be very interesting but much more difficult to produce, as each owner would need to keep a full digital photo history of the work they are undertaking and to record the work for a writer to turn into an article. Rob Dobie has been an exception in this instance, which has made the story of the Gordon an interesting set of articles.

Can anybody come up with alternative suggestions for the name for the publication, or indeed other areas that they would like to see?.

I can think of a long list of wishes like Glossy paper, Edge to edge printing, Double page colour spreads, but I know that will have to wait until the readership increases dramaticlly.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »
Hi Chris. I have to disagree,Rob Dobie is by no means the exception, most people undertaking a serious restoration keep a photograghic record, thats how Kabin news, isetta gazette and the others get their restoration articles. Its also the norm for the owners themselves to write up the article. My point is that good restoration projects are going on all the time with mainstream bubblecars and some of these articles could be in RCN. I often ask myself how many RCN readers restore cars these days , I know there is a current trend to encourage the "shabby chic" look  but is this because there wont or cant? For me its not even about glossy paper, those mags are everywhere, I would love to read about how people get over rebuild problems or source impossible parts, all that type of thing. I hope no one is going to say "well why dont you do it yoursef then" because I have written up all my projects and both inters have been featured, the schmitt rebuild would have been turned down because its not an unusual microcar. I know that some cars have undergone restoration recently, a frisky, more than one scootacar, these owners could be encouraged to write up the experience. When he spots a newly restored car the editor of the Kabinews regularly tracks down the owner and invites them to submit an article, maybe this is something that could be tried. Having said all this I still think our mag is a unique and very special one and I always find something in there that I enjoy reading. Tony does a good job, some great changes have already been made but I think Chris is right, some more may be necessary for it to proceed and survive. If the powers that be are hell bent on increasing circlation then the content must change too. "Microcar world" is a great name for a mag but its content would have to reflect its title. I vote for MICROCAR WORLD plus open it up to more mainstrean microcar content.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
I have found that people that may have interesting stories about their cars or stories about the restorations are not so keen about putting pen to paper or they don't type so what someone needs to do is actually interview them.

I just had someone call me and interview ME for something and they recorded the whole thing over the phone for editing later.

I also have done this in the past with people/stories that I wanted to get out there but knew the owners would never submit anything.
Don't forget, for most people the cars are their hobby, not writing about them.
If a few people would seek out an interesting tale that has not been shared lately, go do an interview!
I have an old mini-cassette recorder which I have used to record interviews (you could use a video camera too, but not worry about what the visual part is, just use it to record the audio).
It is not really that different than chatting with someone over a beer or over the phone.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »
Good idea Jim. Anyone who wants to interview me about my Trojan restoration just remember to bring a tape or two thousand!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
Well there we go Marcus, I'm sure you have an interesting story to tell but because a Trojan is not an unusual microcar we cant have it. I rest my case.

Jim. Your suggestion is fine so long as someone is prepared to do it. Its how the glossy mags work over here but of course money is involved with them. I would like to put forward Chris as the new MICROCAR WORLD tape recorder touting journalist! What do you say? ;D

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »
Dear Bob, Jim and Marcus

You may have noticed that I have started doing interview type articles already with Microcar Memories, so I know the form and I agree with Jim that many Microcar owners would not even think of writing an article about themselves or what they have done , because they see it as what you do and nothing special.

I think Tony would love to recieve text and images from all members about their projects, but that just does not happen.

I remember once having a site meeting for a small building contract and I was chairman and secretary so I set up a tape on the table and as soon as I turned it on everbody shut up and would not speak as they were all very self concious. So I turned it off and carried on as normal and had to scribble notes as I went.

Everybody is different, you just have to go with the flow and get the best from whoever you are interviewing.

Perhaps we should wait for some comments from the 1001 other members on the forum.

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »
The trick with recording conversations is to hide the recorder (e.g. in a bag under the table) but take a few random notes. They will be at their ease, but do tell them afterwards and ensure they are happy for what they said to be transcribed.
Not that far away is electronic transcription of recorded interviews for non-professionals - I hope!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »
Next time we see Chris we will all have to be careful of what we say in case he is 'wired for sound' ! :D :D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Wot, is he Cliff Richard in disguise?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2009, 10:14:58 AM »
Here are some more comments from Australia

Hi Jean,

No problem putting my comment on your forum.

Another comment, for use or not, RUM magazine and the Veteran Vespa mag (which is professionally printed on quality paper, no expense spared) are the two best productions and reading I get from England.

Just came across the photo I took of my house during the red dust storm last month, thought you might like to see it!

Cheers Fred.

Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
Freds right, lets leave it as it is!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »
Re:Name Change - I have had the following suggestions from Norbert Mylius of Austria and owner of the beautiful Libelle.

Mystery (or mystical, mystic) Microcar World. or
Microcar World Research

Can we have some more thoughts from the other members of the Forum, particularly from those who rarely post comments?     Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »
 ...and now for my fourpence-happnay on the subject;

Bond Info is Bond Info.  Kabinews is Kabinews.  Isetta Gazette is Isetta Gazette. Take Off is Take Off. RUMCar News is RUMCar News All have been what they are for decades, all indeed for years before I was even born. They are the micro world, past, present & future;

Leave It Be. Leave It Be...   :'(

There is nothing wrong to mend. Why change for change's sake?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:19:19 PM by Stuart Cyphus »