Author Topic: Gordon.  (Read 8709 times)

Jawmedead

Gordon.
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »
                                                                               Hi All,
                                                                   Gordons nearly there!
                                                      No, it's not going to be red, that's oxide.                                                        

;D                                                                                                                                                        

This is how I first saw it.  :o ::)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:47:38 PM by Jawmedead »

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: Gordon.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:07:37 PM »
Great job Bob. Whenever you wish to come over here and work on some more.... ;D  I'm looking forward to see it in person. You deserve your own bottle of Rock and Rye.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
I have just got back from a short break and have lots of catching up to do, but that can bloody well wait until I have said : CONGRATULATIONS! A fine bit of work!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 06:38:08 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS! A fine bit of work!

And so say all of us!   ;D  Hands up who thinks Bob should be declared a saint? After all, he has performed a miricale.....   :o

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
Dear Stuart

Would that make Rob:  Saint Gordon of the imacculate paintwork

Chris Thomas

Jawmedead

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:56:31 PM »
Hi All,

Just found out I'm part of the Robertson Clan and not the Macdonald Clan that I thought I belong to! My old Dad must have got it all wrong.

It has been great working with a Gordon.  ;D

Rob.

P.S.   I have needed the patience of a saint sometimes over the last 7 years!  ::)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:09:33 PM by Jawmedead »

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:56:25 PM »
...Saint Bob sounds good to me  ;)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:32:22 AM »
Saint Gordon of Jawmedead

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »
Its quite a metamorphoses Rob, luckily most of the panels are flat or have single dimensional curves. Last time we spoke there was talk of you brush painting it, surely after doing all that panel work it's worth spraying it? How does the saying go, "spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar"? Although body spraying comes to more than a ha'peth these days. Or were they hand painted originally? I'm sure you will do the right thing being a "Robertson"! Looking at it am I right in concluding that the engine is on the same side as the driver? Ditto to the congrats Rob, look forward to seeing it.

Jawmedead

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
after doing all that panel work it's worth spraying it?   am I right in concluding that the engine is on the same side as the driver?

'You can't make a purse out of a pigs ear'.  :P

With to-days spray paint systems it would look over restored. I don't like that! The Gordon is built out of two or three cars, so will never look like one 'straight' from the factory.
The engine is on the drivers side bolted straight onto the chassis as is the body. It must be very noisy inside with a hood up when running.  :-\

Oh, doesn't it look like a large invalid tricycle?  :o

Thanks for all the saintly praise but you may change you minds when you see it. Just joking.  ;D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
It does not matter a lot how "well" you have done it. The fact is Gordon's are often referred to as one of that era's worst and most unstable also-rans. It is also very rare AND part of motoring history, which would otherwise have gone forever, so I think it is great that you have taken on the job and seen it through

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 12:56:37 PM »
Well absolutely!    I agree that a shiny plastic look 2K finish would not suit it at all and would also show up the blemishes, I would be inclined to use celullose and put it on a little dry, "orange peel covers a multitude of sins!" As most know I like 2K on bubblecars but to be honest I would not use it on anything bigger, I saw a mk2 Jag done in it once and it look terrible! At the end of the day its Rob McRobertsons baby and he will do the right thing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:30:14 AM by Bob Purton »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:45:09 PM »
The Gordon has just arrived home and I am gobsmacked.  It is beautiful.  I just don't know how to thank Bob for all his hard work.  Edwin would have been so delighted that his heap of rusty parts is now a truly beautiful car, a real gem for the Hammond Collection.  Thank you Bob  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:40:16 AM »
Hi Jean, 
congratulations you got the Gordon back and you satisfied with it. Its a real nice and rare microcar and it deserved an extra place in your collection. Unfortunately i am not able to attend the weekend, although im keen on it.
Anyway, i hope you all enjoy it. Have a fantastic time mates.

Ferdi

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
Three cheers for Rob, Gordon, Jean and Edwin! Look forward to seeing it soon.