Author Topic: Anyone heard of Motobi?  (Read 13154 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Anyone heard of Motobi?
« on: July 03, 2009, 10:44:35 PM »
I started rebuilding my Motobi in earnest this week. As you can see my methods are unorthodox, I reassemble whilst hanging it from the rafters. Ive restored four Italian lightweights using this method, one day I will treat myself to a bike bench! The hard bit is done, the forks! I'm hoping to get this done in time to do the mini Moto Giro UK in September which stops off at the Goodwood revival on route. Its on schedule so far.

Jawmedead

Re: Anyone heard of Motobi?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »

Is it a 125 Sport circa 1970?

This is how I strung up the Gordon's body earlier this year when taking it off for painting underneath. There was nobody around to help me lift it off.

Last year I sold my two bike benches on eBay. They are a very heavy piece of kit.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »
Hi Rob. Its a 175 Catria circa 1957/58 but yours was a fair guess because the frames would look exactly the same. Quite advanced for its age with the pressed steel construction and horizontal engine. You must have been a struggle hanging up that body shell on your own! A strong back and stronger roof joist! Hang em high!

Hear is a 125 Imperiali sport I restored for a friend. 1968
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:45:35 PM by Bob Purton »

RalphT

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »
I started rebuilding my Motobi in earnest this week

I do most of my rebuilding in the garage ;)

Looks good Bob

Ralph
1960 Messerschmitt KR200

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
Hello Ralph. Nice to hear from you. Will you be at Stonham Barns this year?  Dont you have wallpaper in your garage then Ralph? Ho Ho!! I only wish my machines were allowed in the house, that pic was taken at my pals place , the guy I restored it for. These bike handle very very well, low slung engine for fast cornering!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:50:17 PM by Bob Purton »

RalphT

• Occasional
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »
I'll not be going to Stonham, I'm working that weekend :'(.
1960 Messerschmitt KR200

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:21:33 AM »
Oh thats a shame. I'm just off to the Battlesbridge bike show in the schmitt, hope they let me in!

Triporteur

• Quite Chatty
    • Online Bicycle Museum
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 05:47:35 AM »
Here's my Motobi Pesaro moped

I prefer cosmetically unrestored

Online Bicycle Museum - http://oldbike.eu

Online Cyclemaster Museum - http://Cyclemaster.co.uk

Sales: http://BuyVintage.co.uk

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »
Thought I would show you the progress on the motobi, its not a micocar but niether is half the stuff talked about on the forum. As you can see its nearly finished, just waiting on some chrome plating etc.

Jawmedead

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 05:36:54 PM »
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

I love the bubble-wrap under the stand to stop the paint getting scratched. Bet you can't wait to get it MOTed and taxed.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:36:10 PM »
Ha! Sorry to disappoint you Rob but even I'm not that fanatical! I have yet to find the stand rubber stop that stops it whacking the frame when the stand is up, the bubblewrap is for preventing contact with the frame, I dont know how it ended up between the stand and the concrete. Honest!!   Glad you like it, there is something about the styling of these 1950 latin jobs, all red paint and transfers, lovely!! I rode my mates 125 Motobi Imperialli sport and it handled like a dream! Cant wait to put this one through its paces.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »
What's with all those racing stickers, it's a bit Essex! ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
Cheeky blighter! That was the custom in the motherland, every time one of there bikes won a race the manufacturers would produce a decal and the next batch of new bikes came out of the factory wearing them. I have simply kept what it had from new, they are even lacquered over. So young Planty, its not a case of Essex boy's got some stickers, it's called restoration, something you haven't done yet! Ha ha!!  :D :D ;) ;) How are you settling into your new house by the way? Where was it now ? Oh yes, Essex!!  ;) ;)

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »
Essex boarders actually... so it still counts as East London. I shall be continuing with the Nobel once the 6 foot deep pile of builders rubble has been cleared from the garage.  :-\

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 02:12:37 PM »
If you say so Mike. Is the Nobel at the new house yet? Any room for a schmitt as I was told last week that the the storage barn I use is closing and we all have to get out this month!